Runaway Toyotas

Fly by wire cars are dangerous. I prefer a solid link between the accelerator and the throttle device...and between the brake pedal and the brake cylinders. Computer controlled engine speed can easily have a malfunction that can't be controlled by the average driver. There should at least be a kill switch somewhere on the dash. Do away with that stupid steering wheel lock and fix it where a driver can kill the engine and still steer the wheel...even without PS.

We've gone too damn soft and we expect to much convenience in car operations. Go back to roll up windows, manual mirrors and manual door locks. Take the frills off and give me a car that works all the time.

I also am NOT for Fly-by-Wire in consumer vehicles, UNLESS,as you say, there is a "Kill Switch" including an alternate manual backup using mechanical linkage.
FBW systems seem to work without issues for military/commercial aircraft and many other applications such as Drones and have been for many years.

When combining hydro/mechanical/computer control in the consumer market, it seems that the quality and reliability of the products fail miserably. I believe, ALL consumer products such as this,using total computer control without benefit of a mechanical backup, should not be allowed, unless they meet Mil-Spec, especially when consumers have labels on items such as, windshield covers, that say, "Remove from Windshield Before Driving". :lol:
No one should be put in the situation of a runaway vehicle and apparently one that doesn't even have a KEY SWITCH to turn it off, only a push button to shutdown via software.

I hope the two Fords we just purchased never have issues such as this, even though they have the 'Microsoft Sync'™ system for wireless cell phone. So far I love them.

I agree with the thread's author. However, the faulty parts extend to Toyota's management response to the problem(s) as well. Moisture makes the most sense to me. Be it from washer fluid, condensation or bad seal.

True Toyota story... The very first new car I ever bought in my life was a Toyota Corolla way back in 1973. Driving it home, as I came through town, an old gomer ran a stop sign and t-boned my brand new car. I could have done more damage to his old Plymouth car by kicking the door panel. His car was hardly even scratched. My brand new Toyota was totalled!!! I owned a Toyota for less than an hour. Have never owned another Toyota since.

My first car was a used Toyota Corolla that I purchased i 1982. I loved that car - paid cash for it and drove it for 10 years with nary a problem.

I don't like the politicized nature of this situation with Toyota. Something smells rotten in DC.

With the US government being owners of two American car manufacturers... the hearings with Toyota basically amounted to the Board of Directors of GM and Dodge grilling another car manufacturer.

Ya.. definitely fishy. We will find out someday that this whole thing was blown way out of proportion.

Good thing, too...because if you turned off the ignition you'd lock the steering...how fun would that be at 90+ miles an hour?

Best thing to do is shift it in neutral and keep applying the brakes.

Nah...this happened to me not long ago in my old pickup...accelerator pedal got stuck.

If you turn the key back one position to accessory (ACC)...the position you use to run the radio without turning on the dashlights...the engine will stop but you retain the ability to steer and brake.

You will lose power steering and power braking...but you will not run the risk of damaging the engine from over-revving.

The Toyota website says holding the off switch for 3 seconds will do the same thing.

I'm not saying not to but the car in neutral...I'm saying that's not what I did or would do if confronted with that situation again.
Maybe I did something wrong so I'll try it again. But holding down the button for three seconds shut everything off.

And you point about turning the key back one click is good but IMO I'd freak out and shut it off...so neutral would be my best option. If the engine blows up, so what...Toyota is at fault.

Here's what I found:

What should you do if your car suddenly accelerates? Here are three ways to stop the vehicle, according to Toyota:

_ Step on the brake pedal with both feet using firm and steady pressure. Do not pump the brakes.

_ Shift the transmission gear selector into neutral. Use the brakes to make a controlled stop by the side of the road.

_ If you're unable to put the vehicle in neutral, turn off the engine. This will cut off power assist to the steering wheel and brakes, but as long as the key is in the ignition, you will still be able to steer and brake. If you have an engine start/stop button, press it firmly for three seconds to turn the engine off. Do not tap it. If you have a conventional key ignition, turn the ignition key to the ACC position. Do not remove the key from the ignition.

Toyota Stuck Accelerator Tips: What To Do If Your Car Suddenly Accelerates

Link to Smart Key information at Wikipedia:

The advanced key allows the driver to keep the car key in their pocket when unlocking, locking and starting the vehicle. The key is identified via a proximity sensor in the car door and a radio pulse generator in the key housing as soon as the driver is within approximately 1.5 meters (4.92 feet) of the vehicle.

The advanced key system also means that the steering is released and the ignition is activated electronically without inserting the key in the ignition. The driver must have the key with them inside the car before the engine can be started by pressing down on the brake pedal and then either pressing a starter button or twisting an ignition switch, depending on the car model.

Toyota should at this point insist on lie dector tests on all claimants. democwats will go as low as they need to go to furthur their agenda.

Nah...this happened to me not long ago in my old pickup...accelerator pedal got stuck.

If you turn the key back one position to accessory (ACC)...the position you use to run the radio without turning on the dashlights...the engine will stop but you retain the ability to steer and brake.

You will lose power steering and power braking...but you will not run the risk of damaging the engine from over-revving.

The Toyota website says holding the off switch for 3 seconds will do the same thing.

I'm not saying not to but the car in neutral...I'm saying that's not what I did or would do if confronted with that situation again.
Maybe I did something wrong so I'll try it again. But holding down the button for three seconds shut everything off.

And you point about turning the key back one click is good but IMO I'd freak out and shut it off...so neutral would be my best option. If the engine blows up, so what...Toyota is at fault.

Here's what I found:
What should you do if your car suddenly accelerates? Here are three ways to stop the vehicle, according to Toyota:

_ Step on the brake pedal with both feet using firm and steady pressure. Do not pump the brakes.

_ Shift the transmission gear selector into neutral. Use the brakes to make a controlled stop by the side of the road.

_ If you're unable to put the vehicle in neutral, turn off the engine. This will cut off power assist to the steering wheel and brakes, but as long as the key is in the ignition, you will still be able to steer and brake. If you have an engine start/stop button, press it firmly for three seconds to turn the engine off. Do not tap it. If you have a conventional key ignition, turn the ignition key to the ACC position. Do not remove the key from the ignition.

:) Not sure why you would be unable to put the car in neutral...but I suppose it is an outside possibility.

Here's what I found:

:) Not sure why you would be unable to put the car in neutral...but I suppose it is an outside possibility.

I believe it would be difficult for any car at full rev to go from drive to neutral.

Runaway Toyotas

Toyota and the Union-Backed, Government-Led Witch Hunt

by Brian Johnson

Toyota, which employs over 35,000 workers in the United States with factories in eight states, is the target of a government-led and union-supported attack due to recent recalls.

In the U.S., it is estimated that 15,000 Lexus HS250h and 133,000 Prius models will be recalled due to gas pedal issues, with another 500,000 Prius and other gasoline-electric hybrids needing anti-brake software modification. As unfortunate and inconvenient as recalls can be, this not the first, or last time an automobile will need to be brought back to the shop for a quick fix.

One might think this is the first auto recall in decades from the way government officials and Congressional Committees have pounced on Toyota. However, as recent as last month, Honda announced a recall of 646,000 Fit models (or Jazz in some markets) due to a faulty master switch that could allow water to enter the electrical components resulting in fires. Ford, less than one year ago, was forced to recall more than 4 million cars based on 550 vehicle fires. The recall concerned cruise-control deactivation switches that were installed in 16 million Fords. Part of the recall included nearly 1.1 million 1995–2003 Ford Windstar family van models.

There was no government outcry and no demand for Congressional hearings over these recent recalls. So why has Toyota suddenly become the target of a government-led witch hunt?

Did y'all see the runaway Prius segment on ABC News a few minutes ago?

Wish I could link to the video, but it's not up yet.

From the information given, it seem the new Toyotas don't start with a key like older cars...they use a transponder equipped smart key in conjunction with a start/stop button.

In the segment, pushing the stop button would not stop the engine.

Here is the story from another source:
James Sikes bought his Toyota Prius in 2008 and 53,000 miles later the car was driving fine. But on Monday afternoon, when he accelerated to pass another vehicle on Interstate 8 east of San Diego, the car kept going.

"The gas pedal stuck open all the way," said Sikes, 61, a real estate agent from San Diego.

For 30 miles, Sikes said, he swerved in and out of traffic, narrowly missing a big rig and trying desperately to slow the vehicle down, at one point reaching down with his hand to pull back on the gas pedal. The brakes were useless.​
Good thing, too...because if you turned off the ignition you'd lock the steering...how fun would that be at 90+ miles an hour?

Best thing to do is shift it in neutral and keep applying the brakes.

Reminds me of a situation that happened when I was younger and playing around with race cars, when the average guy could still afford it.

A guy showed up at the local track with the first "balanced and blue printed" engine, with all the goodies, that none of us could afford, and neither could he which makes it even funnier. They had a "powder puff" race and his wife used his car. She too was kicking th ladies asses like he was ours, when the throttle stuck on her, which she responded to by pushing in the clutch and sitting there until it grenaded on her. I'll never forget him running across the infield with his arms flailing while the rest of us stood there laughing our asses off as it grew louder and louder! 40yrs later I still have tears running down my face thinking back about it.:lol:

Politicians are after Toyota as a diversion effort.

Toyota’s U.S. operations are extremely successful, not saturated by inefficient union monopolies, and are in direct competition with the now government-owned General Motors.

So Only the dems in congress are after Toyota?

"The government, in this case backed by the union saturation of GM, has a clear conflict of interest in owning companies that are in direct competition with Toyota. The problems have been determined, the solutions are in process. Sec. LaHood and the union-supported Democrat heads of the committees holding hearings on this matter should step back and allow the private sector to function without biased interference."

The Government attacking Toyota raises suspicions of abuse of power - even if the issues are valid. This is just one of the many reasons why the government should not own a corporation.

Politicians are after Toyota as a diversion effort.

Toyota’s U.S. operations are extremely successful, not saturated by inefficient union monopolies, and are in direct competition with the now government-owned General Motors.

Doesn't look like they are doing well

GO USA!

36091.jpg

Last edited:

Forum List

Back