Rumsfeld ordered prisoner hidden from Red Cross

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
The ICC is there ONLY if the violaters home country refuses to do anything about the violations.

DK that is the purpose, but that is not how it's being used or rather being threatened to be used by others. I'll try to find some more out and post.

Originally posted by acludem
The U.S., btw, joined ONLY a few countries (all dictatorships) in voting against the ICC.

acludem

but currently has 90 some agreements with other countries not to extradite americans to the ICC.

Those are the countries who voted FOR it, notice the United States is NOT on this list.

acludem

That WAS my point.

So I guess we weren't among the willing in this case.

acludem

Guess not, for good cause. Neither have Russia nor China, for starters. Rather than look at dictatorship and democracy in this case, think I'll look at those with power and those without. Even Clinton got that.

Well folks, Rumsfeld has now been directly implicated in mistreatment of prisoners. According to this story, he ordered a prisoner kept "off the books" so that the Red Cross wouldn't see them.

Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld ordered that one Iraqi prisoner be held “off the books” — hidden entirely from the International Red Cross and anyone else — in possible violation of international law.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5226957/

acludem

I only worry when the EU starts thinking the US is now supposed to report by law to their own little aid agency. That's insane to even assume such "International Law" would ever be agreeable to the U.S.

Originally posted by Comrade
I only worry when the EU starts thinking the US is now supposed to report by law to their own little aid agency. That's insane to even assume such "International Law" would ever be agreeable to the U.S.

And if its not agreeable to the US, it aint international law. See thats the problem with citing international law. It changes depending on whether the nation feels obligated to keep it. There is no outward enforcement to it.

Originally posted by Avatar4321
And if its not agreeable to the US, it aint international law. See thats the problem with citing international law. It changes depending on whether the nation feels obligated to keep it. There is no outward enforcement to it.

Thats sorta what I thought--no enforcement-----damn--we have enough trouble with American judges and lawyers screwing us over. Any one for a piss-ant european telling us what we can and cannot do? If they can't take us by force, they will try to take us economically or legally.

Originally posted by Avatar4321

But what goes one step further into the abyss, is the fact that the International Red Cross as a legal agency has never been endorsed by America.

I'm worried simply because the Europeans here seem to entertain the complete fantasy of international law as they themselves conceived it to be under their sole creation.

Again, the USA never recognized the authority of the International Red Cross, not to be confused with the earlier American Red Cross.

I mean it's one thing to have a ratified treaty from the USA to beat us on the heads with after we repudate.

But in this case the EU creates for themselves this Red Crescent ambulance troop transport brigade and now the US is expected to grant legal authority ... was the mocking laughter from congress loud enough? I mean what kind of dumshit reporter even hinted this was somehow a "violation of international law"?

And so WTF will the EU do about it? C'mon give us 'Mericans a friggin break with this crap. If we tried to put the EU in the same position with some made up American agency they'd mock us for years. Give us a break and wake the hell up, Europe.

I think I'll do the intelligent thing and see what comes of this story in the next couple of months. I have about the same confidence in the news media as I do a used car salesman. If a reporters mother were injured in a fender bender and decided to write a story about it, we would see headlines like;

"Bush airstrike hits mothers car!"
"Drunk Rumsfeld forces mother off road!"
"CIA tries to permanently silence war protestor!"

Of course they would quote several unnamed "high ranking Pentagon officials" and "administration sources" and all kinds of invented, imagined or misunderstood little factoids would infect this story. CNN would run with it for six weeks, maybe cover the beheading of a citizen for an hour or two and then Kerry would grab it and say something completely stupid contradicting something he said last week or voted for a year ago.

It won't be long until the National Equirer will be more credible than the "news media".

Forum List

Back