Rumsfeld Gets SLAMMED on Meet the Press

nakedemperor

Aug 5, 2004
NYC
Its time for the deception to stop. This blatant twisting and spinning. Watch this and hold on to you jaw 'cause you're HEAD will spin:

"You and a few other critics are the only ones I've heard use the phrase 'immediate threat', I didn't, the President didn't, and its become kind of folklore that that's what's happened."

The hosts go on to read him a few quotes including:

"No terrorist state poses a greater or more immediate threat to the security of our people and the tability of the world than the regime of Saddam Hussein in Iraq."

Who said the quote? Donald Rumsfeld.

Sorry Donny, you can't change history. As ashamed as you all are of what you've done in Iraq and how you went about getting there, and trust me, it is shameful, you have to at least OWN UP TO IT.

http://www.moveon.org/censure/caughtonvideo/

nakedemperor said:
Its time for the deception to stop. This blatant twisting and spinning. Watch this and hold on to you jaw 'cause you're HEAD will spin:

"You and a few other critics are the only ones I've heard use the phrase 'immediate threat', I didn't, the President didn't, and its become kind of folklore that that's what's happened."

"No terrorist state poses a greater or more immediate threat to the security of our people and the tability of the world than the regime of Saddam Hussein in Iraq."

Sorry Donny, you can't change history. As ashamed as you all are of what you've done in Iraq and how you went about getting there, and trust me, it is shameful, you have to at least OWN UP TO IT.

it is being taken out of context. i understand what he meant and so do you, but you won't admit it as that will not fit into your view.

nakedemperor said:

get over it--------

freeandfun1 said:
it is being taken out of context. i understand what he meant and so do you, but you won't admit it as that will not fit into your view.

HOW ON EARTH CAN YOU TAKE "I NEVER SAID IRAQ WAS AN IMMINENT THREAT" OUT OF CONTEXT!!?!?!?!?!?

If you cannot admit Donald Rumsfeld was simply caught lying on National Television, you're a blind partisan HACK.

"I never said X."

"Here's an example of you saying X."

Out of context? Free and fun, what did he 'mean', exactly? I'm SO curious, and frankly, ready for a great laugh.

nakedemperor said:
HOW ON EARTH CAN YOU TAKE "I NEVER SAID IRAQ WAS AN IMMINENT THREAT" OUT OF CONTEXT!!?!?!?!?!?

If you cannot admit Donald Rumsfeld was simply caught lying on National Television, you're a blind partisan HACK.

"I never said X."

Out of context? Free and fun, what did he 'mean', exactly? I'm SO curious, and frankly, ready for a great laugh.

In context it was "No MORE immediate threat THAN"; it's being used to express relative levels of threat, not saying absolutely it's an immediate threat. NONE MORE THAN. Can you name a greater threat to our nation that terrorism?

nakedemperor said:

"I never said X."

I believe his point was that of all the nations, they posed the most threat and that their threat was one that could come at the earliest time. Not just because of weapons, but because of what they might do with any weapons they might have.

"No terrorist state poses a greater or more immediate threat to the security of our people and the stability of the world than the regime of Saddam Hussein in Iraq."
• Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, 9/19/02

So you guys are arguing that Rumsfeld said that Saddam Hussein was "the most imminent threat" (of all the terrorist states), but that statement ISN'T incompatible with "I never said Iraq was an imminent threat"?

Are...are you serious?

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I'm going to remember this logic for a long, long time.

nakedemperor said:

"I never said X."

I see - this must be your new tactic.

You couldn't get kerry elected, so now you're attempting to get revenge by boring us to tears with petty little "gotchas". That's about all you libs have left is to dredge up minutiae and point to it like a five year old child snitching on his sibling.

We're in Iraq, like it or not. Now the only thing to do is work for the best outcome possible. Maybe some of you lefties can get over your fit of pique just long enough to consider what is best for the war effort, the military and the nation. Quit looking through the magnifying glass for nits to pick and start looking at the big picture.

Get over it - the election was two days ago, the results are not going to change.

nakedemperor said:
"No terrorist state poses a greater or more immediate threat to the security of our people and the stability of the world than the regime of Saddam Hussein in Iraq."

So you guys are arguing that Rumsfeld said that Saddam Hussein was "the most imminent threat" (of all the terrorist states), but that statement ISN'T incompatible with "I never said Iraq was an imminent threat"?

Are...are you serious?

It's the difference between a relative and an absolute statement. Comprende?

nakedemperor said:

Are...are you serious?

I never said he didn't say it the way he said it, what I am saying is that anybody with half a brain and that is intelligent, can understand the underlying implication. Naked offers us the most immediate chance of becoming converted to liberalism. That does not mean you will succeed today or even tomorrow, it just means that in the long run, you have the most chance of accomplishing the conversion. Lolita is a long way from converting us, but you have a more immediate chance.

Oh. He also said the President never said it. Here are some quotes.,

"There is real threat, in my judgment, a real and dangerous threat to American in Iraq in the form of Saddam Hussein."
• President Bush, 10/28/02

"There are many dangers in the world, the threat from Iraq stands alone because it gathers the most serious dangers of our age in one place. Iraq could decide on any given day to provide a biological or chemical weapon to a terrorist group or individual terrorists."
• President Bush, 10/7/02

"The Iraqi regime is a threat of unique urgency."
• President Bush, 10/2/02

"There's a grave threat in Iraq. There just is."

"This man poses a much graver threat than anybody could have possibly imagined."
• President Bush, 9/26/02

Now I know what you're going to say.

"real and dangerous" doesn't mean "imminent"
"grave threat" doesn't mean "imminent threat"
"urgent threat" only kind of means "imminent threat"
"Iraq could on any given day give WMDs to terrorists" only explicitly IMPLIES "imminent", but doesn't actually use the word itself.

Come on, spin this for me boys.

I wondered how moveon.org was going to busy itself, now that it has been rendered essentially irrelevant.

nakedemperor said:

"There is real threat, in my judgment, a real and dangerous threat to American in Iraq in the form of Saddam Hussein."

"There are many dangers in the world, the threat from Iraq stands alone because it gathers the most serious dangers of our age in one place. Iraq could decide on any given day to provide a biological or chemical weapon to a terrorist group or individual terrorists."

"This man poses a much graver threat than anybody could have possibly imagined."

"Iraq could on any given day give WMDs to terrorists" only explicitly IMPLIES "imminent", but doesn't actually use the word itself.

Get a life.

3. Next in line or relation: is an immediate successor to the president of the company.

4. Directly apprehended or perceived: had immediate awareness of the scope of the crisis.

adj 1: very close or connected in space or time; "contiguous events"; "immediate contact"; "the immediate vicinity"; "the immediate past" [syn: contiguous] 2: having no intervening medium; "an immediate influence" [ant: mediate] 3: immediately before or after as in a chain of cause and effect; "the immediate result"; "the immediate cause of the trouble" 4: of the present time and place; "the immediate revisions" 5: performed with little or no delay; "an immediate reply to my letter"; "prompt obedience"; "was quick to respond"; "a straightaway denial" [syn: prompt, quick, straightaway]

freeandfun1 said:
I never said he didn't say it the way he said it, what I am saying is that anybody with half a brain and that is intelligent, can understand the underlying implication. Naked offers us the most immediate chance of becoming converted to liberalism. That does not mean you will succeed today or even tomorrow, it just means that in the long run, you have the most chance of accomplishing the conversion. Lolita is a long way from converting us, but you have a more immediate chance.

If a country is "the most imminent threat [on the face of the earth]" (relatively speaking), to assume that the speaker meant they are the most imminent (relatively) but they're not ACTUALLY imminent is the most preposterous thing I've heard all day.

If we can't call the "most imminent threat" in the world an "imminent threat"....aw hell, he should have been fired after he accepted "full responsibility" for Abu Ghraib. This argument is useless. The spin is already making me nauseous.

freeandfun1 said:
3. Next in line or relation: is an immediate successor to the president of the company.

4. Directly apprehended or perceived: had immediate awareness of the scope of the crisis.

adj 1: very close or connected in space or time; "contiguous events"; "immediate contact"; "the immediate vicinity"; "the immediate past" [syn: contiguous] 2: having no intervening medium; "an immediate influence" [ant: mediate] 3: immediately before or after as in a chain of cause and effect; "the immediate result"; "the immediate cause of the trouble" 4: of the present time and place; "the immediate revisions" 5: performed with little or no delay; "an immediate reply to my letter"; "prompt obedience"; "was quick to respond"; "a straightaway denial" [syn: prompt, quick, straightaway]

This is the definition of "immediate". We're arguing about what he meant by "imminent". Are we not?

nakedemperor said:
If a country is "the most imminent threat [on the face of the earth]" (relatively speaking), to assume that the speaker meant they are the most imminent (relatively) but they're not ACTUALLY imminent is the most preposterous thing I've heard all day.

If we can't call the "most imminent threat" in the world an "imminent threat"....aw hell, he should have been fired after he accepted "full responsibility" for Abu Ghraib. This argument is useless. The spin is already making me nauseous.

Think of it this way: the tallest of three midgets still is not tall in an absolute sense. See?

nakedemperor said:

I'll spin it for you. The accusation was that the president stated Iraq was an imminent threat to the US. He never said that. Do you not get the statements? The statements you quoted were 100% correct. Get over it, Kerry lost. Move on, and not more crap from moveon.

jimnyc said:
Get over it, Kerry lost. Move on, and not more crap from moveon.

You think calling the Secretary of Defense on a complete lie is merely being bitter about Kerry losing?

You're right, he lost, I promise never to question anything ever.

Forum List

Back