CDZ Rules for obtaining success in America

It is NOT sad more and more young married couples are choosing not to have kids. Considering costs to raise them and wages the nation applauds the decision.

I don't care if you are married or not.

Having two parents in the home is almost always better for children than one, and married couples are more likely to stay together longer than unmarried couples. If you want to pretend differently, I feel sorry for the children.

Lots of things are better for children, where do you draw the line? having 4 or more children that you don't have the time money or energy to give them the care or attention they need is not a good deal either, what about all the born but unwanted kids, anyone think that's important? but is it my business to tell you how many kids you can have?

1. Don't commit crimes or take drugs.
2. Complete your education.
3. Get a job.
4. Don't have children if you aren't married.

I'd change #2. Complete your education, or rather add to it. Never stop learning and growing/developing as a person. Knowledge is power and leads to more opportunities for more success.

I would add #5, Live within your means. Save money whenever possible. Look for ways to make yourself more valuable as an employee. Look for ways to earn more money. Spend less, earn more, save as much as possible and invest wisely.

Advice: keep your mouth shut and your ears open. Be careful about talking politics and religion, except around here where nobody knows you. Widen your social network, treat everyone with respect or at least not disrespect; there's no profit in dissing somebody but there could be consequences.

1. Don't commit crimes or take drugs.
2. Complete your education.
3. Get a job.
4. Don't have children if you aren't married.

Why are these rules so hard to follow, and why is it the government's responsibility if one doesn't follow them?

Discuss.

OK Boomer

I don't care if you are married or not.

Having two parents in the home is almost always better for children than one, and married couples are more likely to stay together longer than unmarried couples. If you want to pretend differently, I feel sorry for the children.

I agree that having two parents at home generally is better. How much more likely is a married couple with kids to stay together than an unmarried couple? Show us the stats.
I think that having two parents who can afford to have children is more important than whether they can marry- higher income couples are less likely to divorce than lower income couples.

Personally I think that a couple with children should marry so that their kids get the many protections that come from having married parents.

married couples are more likely to stay together longer than unmarried couples.

Interesting. Can you provide a current independent source for this? Because this would seem to be the opposite of what I see in reality.

Married and Unmarried Parents: A Research Summary

Cohabiting parents differ from married ones in three big ways

Married and Unmarried Parents: A Research Summary

A short, unsupported piece from 1998.

The second link is actually quite good- with references.

Far better, then, to promote the ingredients of family stability, many of which are associated with marriage, and in particular intended childbearing, more education, and higher family incomes, rather than marriage itself. Boosting educational attainment, especially among young women, has a direct influence on their ability to start their families more successfully. Higher tax credits and higher minimum wages would boost incomes among cohabiting and single-parent homes.

Most importantly, reducing rates of unintended pregnancies and births would ensure that more parents were prepared for the responsibilities and rigors of parenthood. Only one in ten of the women using contraceptives used Long-Acting Reversible Contraceptives (LARCs) in 2012, and over half of unintended pregnancies result from women not using contraception at all.

The greater stability of married parents compared to cohabiting parents likely results from a wide range of differences described in this paper—all of which may certainly improve the likelihood of marriage, be expressed through marriage, and even assisted by marriage—but which have little to do with marital status itself. If family stability is the end, getting cohabiting couples to marry is not the right means. Instead, we should foster the ingredients of stability—especially better family planning, more education, and higher incomes. It seems likely that these will turn out to encourage marriage too, since most Americans still want to raise their children within a marital union. But marriage here will be a byproduct of stability, rather than the other way around.

New Topics

Forum List

Back