Ruh oh, What does Dr Doom Predict Next?

I'm going to try to answer at least some of your questions in the posts that follow. They are, of course, very good questions, ones that require a fair amount of thinking. At the end of the day, I am often mentally exhausted, and come here as much not to think and put my mind on autopilot as anything. So I will probably give short shift to answers that deserve more.

Why do you think an asset bubble collapse would have such a pronounced effect on the broader economy? The crucial thing about this bubble was that everybody became highly leveraged to buy into it. As you point out, there's too much debt overhang and everybody is still trying to deleverage. But why does deleveraging effect the real economy? If everybody is trying to save more, and on aggregate we have an excess of savings and a shortage of investment, why doesn't the interest rate just fall to equilibrate savings and investment, restoring full employment? The zero lower bound comes in here. Does that mean monetary policy can't do anything since nominal interest rates can't drop further? Of course not. They can still lower the real interest rate as much as they like by creating expectations of a higher price level/NGDP level. Bottom line, the bubble story effects the economy through aggregate demand, not its supply potential, and aggregate demand can always be controlled by monetary policy.

A more intuitive way to think about deleveraging is that NGDP, or nominal income, is the resources the economy has to pay down nominal debts. But the Fed allowed NGDP to fall 9% below trend in 2008! Our ability to deleverage has been sabotaged by a tight monetary policy.

I think there are a number of things.

First, my general belief is that most macroeconomic models are fine for describing an economy under "normal" conditions but break down during abnormal conditions because the assumptions about rationality do not hold. For example, you say that policy is "tight." That may be the case under a Taylor rule, but that assumes that human behavior is the same below the zero bound as it is above the zero bound under normal conditions. I'd argue differently. I think human behavior changes. The effects of interest rates at near zero alter the behavior of savers, forcing them out on the risk curve in ways that they would otherwise not undertake, let alone a -7% theoretical rate that may be necessary in a theoretical Taylor rule.

Most standard macroeconomic also assume that asset prices do not have an affect on the broader economy. I think this is an extremely critically flawed assumption, and is an utter failure of economics as a discipline. The real Fed Funds rate has averaged less than zero since 2000, which to me is a damning indictment of the failure of traditional macroeconomics. I think Minsky and Kindelberger more accurately describe the role of asset markets in the economy than, say, a Cochrane or a Roll.

In traditional macroeconomics, assets and liabilities net out on both sides of the equation, so theoretically should have no affect on the economy. Turns out, this isn't the case, even from traditional macroeconomics. There is a Fed paper somewhere, I believe, which concluded that for every $1 increase in the stock market wealth, it increased consumer spending by 7 cents. Again, that may be true under normal conditions, but when the tails get fat in ways the Gaussian assumptions of the regression model variables do not account for, the effect is more profound, particularly on the downside.

We do know that there is at least some truth to that. Normal distributions around the mean assume symmetry but human behavior does not comply. We know empirically that the pain of loss is 2-3x greater than that of gain. And my anecdotal guess is that this dispersion is even greater when there are tremendous shocks of loss, such as we saw in the Fall of 2008.

The answer to your question is because supply does matter. It is not just a matter of demand. Supply has to get wiped out before the economy can get back to long-term trend. This, I believe, is rooted in neo-classical theory articulated by Alfred Marshall, who noted that the long-term equilibrium rate of interest should equal the accumulation of the capital stock, since the cost of money, i.e. interest, is the opportunity cost of investment. I believe this is true, over the long-run. It is not necessarily true in the short run, however because the behavior of human beings does not always follow the assumptions in macroeconomics - that human beings are hyper-rational beings able to calculate probability distributions across infinite utility curves.

Kindelberger believed that asset bubbles occurred when there are exogenous shocks to the system. I believe there were two enormous exogenous shocks over the past decade - the commercialization of the Internet and the opening of China. What happens when you have a shock is that there is an abrupt change. Let's look at the Internet bubble. In this case, the abrupt change lowered cost curves as traditional middlemen and wholesalers were and still are being disintermediated. For the first Net entrepreneurs, their profit margins were enormous, and they became extremely wealthy very fast. In traditional theory, what should happen is that those profit margins should be wiped out as more entrepreneurs enter markets. And over the long-run, this is true. But it does not happen fast enough as the models suggest it should.

In doctrinaire macroeconomic theory, there are no positive feedback loops. There are only negative feedback loops. For example, there can never be excess profits because arbitragers or entrepreneurs will wipe excess profits out. Again, that is true in the long run but not in the short run. In the short run, and even the intermediate term, there are positive feedback loops, sometimes powerful ones. So excess profit margins create irrational behavior. And the greater the rewards, the greater the frenzy. So 28 year-old billionaires creating fortunes out of products that did not exist five years ago create manias that traditional macroeconomics say cannot exist.

Tying it back to Marshall's theory, the accumulated capital stock starts growing faster than the long-term trend because entrepreneurs view their profit margins as permanent, which leads to over-investment. I saw this en masse when I ran my fund. I used to run a $500 million equity portfolio during the 90s, and saw countless analysts modeling all these brand new companies that didn't exist a decade prior (and don't exist today) making unGodly amounts of money indefinitely. And the capital markets threw an ocean of money believing them. Capital markets acted in ways that dogmatic market proponents said wouldn't happen. They lost their mind. I can give you story after story about the insanity during that time. And we poured hundreds of billions, if not trillions of dollars into companies that were no more than illusions.

The Federal Reserve should have seen this, but instead Greenspan cheered it on. The Fed should have been raising rates to make capital more dear, not cutting rates as it did in 1998 during the LTCM melt-down. Now, I do have some sympathy with Greenspan's argument that raising interest rates to pop a bubble can have worse side affects than the bubble, but what should have happened under Kindelberger's theory is that as the perceived profit margins rose, the Fed should raised interest rates to whatever the perceived rate of the accumulation of the capital stock was for the market to stop the frenzy. If entrepreneurs had known that the cost of capital was higher and their profit margins lower, we would have had less accumulation of the capital stock.

So what happened was there was a frenzy of building, particularly in unlit fiber that carried Internet traffic. Over the long-run, this wound up not being a problem - eventually markets get it right - since the Internet visionaries and dreamers wound up being right. That fiber is now being lit, but at the time, it plunged the technology industry into a true depression.

What solved the problem was time and absorption of supply. I get that when demand collapses, the government should step in to absorb it, at least to some extent. But the underlying structural problem is not demand. It is supply. The long-run growth of the capital stock should equal to the long-run growth in the economy. If the growth in the capital stock exceeds that of the economy for some period of time, eventually, supply growth will collapse and the economy has to recalibrate and absorb the excess capacity. Essentially, all economic growth equals productivity growth plus population growth. So as long as both are growing, eventually we will absorb the excess capacity, but lowering interest rates to -7% isn't going to absorb the excess capacity because the excess capacity must eventually come back in line with long-term economic growth, which means a period of time of low aggregate economic growth as the supply gets absorbed.

Anyways, that is a long and meandering answer to your question.

Last edited:
I'm going to try to answer at least some of your questions in the posts that follow. They are, of course, very good questions, ones that require a fair amount of thinking. At the end of the day, I am often mentally exhausted, and come here as much not to think and put my mind on autopilot as anything. So I will probably give short shift to answers that deserve more.

Fair enough.

I think there are a number of things.

First, my general belief is that most macroeconomic models are fine for describing an economy under "normal" conditions but break down during abnormal conditions because the assumptions about rationality do not hold. For example, you say that policy is "tight." That may be the case under a Taylor rule, but that assumes that human behavior is the same below the zero bound as it is above the zero bound under normal conditions. I'd argue differently. I think human behavior changes. The effects of interest rates at near zero alter the behavior of savers, forcing them out on the risk curve in ways that they would otherwise not undertake, let alone a -7% theoretical rate that may be necessary in a theoretical Taylor rule.

On the contrary. Any nominal business cycle theory (ie, demand-side business cycles) can only exist precisely because people become irrational under certain conditions. Specifically, people have a degree of money illusion. They'll accept cuts to their real wage through an increase in the price level, but they won't accept cuts to their nominal wage, even if their real wage is increasing! What I want isn't a Taylor rule, but a nominal GDP rule such that the economy never has to enter the situation where it's necessary for there to be a fall in nominal income. Make money illusion a moot point by having the central bank not let nominal income (NGDP) fall below what it's expected to be (ie, give an explicit level target).

Most standard macroeconomic also assume that asset prices do not have an affect on the broader economy. I think this is an extremely critically flawed assumption, and is an utter failure of economics as a discipline. The real Fed Funds rate has averaged less than zero since 2000, which to me is a damning indictment of the failure of traditional macroeconomics. I think Minsky and Kindelberger more accurately describe the role of asset markets in the economy than, say, a Cochrane or a Roll.

I'm not sure how true this is either. In macroeconomic theory "assets" are always included in intertemporal budget equations. With Friedman's permanent income hypothesis we stopped thinking about people consuming out of current income and instead consuming out of expected lifetime wealth, which includes assets. We can see this theory being put into practice with Quantitative Easing. One of the motivating factors behind QE was that it would raise asset prices, stimulating consumption through the "wealth effect" and investment through lower bond yields and Tobin's q. I do agree that asset prices are overshadowed by interest rates when examining the stance of monetary policy though.

That doesn't explain why the downturn is broad. The downturn has affected almost all of the economy, not just the sectors where there's been this over-investment. It's understandable that following "irrational exuberance" in the housing sector, that sector is going to have to "recalculate". There isn't going to be any permanent increase in demand in that sector, so to liquidate the supply amassed prices are going to have to fall and whatnot. That should be confined mostly to the sector though. Which is actually what we saw. Following the peak of the housing bubble, residential construction employment starts to tank:

fredgraph.png

Total employment doesn't until 2008. We also see that the Fed let NGDP growth slow a little after the bubble collapse, and then finally plunge near the beginning of 2008, shortly before total employment took a dive.

fredgraph.png

So I don't disagree that there are structural problems with the housing sector that required some "recalculation". But I think the problems with the broad economy are nominal (that is, demand side).

Wait a second, Americans are too stupid to figure out their own priorities and they need your state control?
All I am doing is stating what I think might help our country. The government isn't doing a great job...
--so if the gov't is making things worse it would make sense to have less government control of "transportation system, technology, and education", not more. We agree that the next 80 years matters. Over the past 80 years the nations that had the most government management of trans., tech., & ed. were the ones that made the least progress.

You have a point and I actually agree. All I want is for the government to focus and provide more mone in those sectors; but at the same time I know this would most likely lead to getting nothing done if the government tried to control all three things. I am curious, who would you want to put in charge of transportation, technology, and education?

...nothing done if the government tried to control all three things. I am curious, who would you want to put in charge of transportation, technology, and education?
Huh, you got me thinking. Feels weird but thanks.

We're probably together on the idea that the government needs to be in charge of those parts of trans/tech/ed that are necessary for national defense --which is a lot. Virtually all interstate roads built over the past 200 years are defense related, same with compulsory education, much of the space program, etc. We can't ever forget that while people need to be free, they can only be free if the government's strong enough to maintain order.

Once that's done a free people can be in charge as they see fit to run the rest of trans/tech/ed and jobs will be created as needed.

...nothing done if the government tried to control all three things. I am curious, who would you want to put in charge of transportation, technology, and education?
Huh, you got me thinking. Feels weird but thanks.

We're probably together on the idea that the government needs to be in charge of those parts of trans/tech/ed that are necessary for national defense --which is a lot. Virtually all interstate roads built over the past 200 years are defense related, same with compulsory education, much of the space program, etc. We can't ever forget that while people need to be free, they can only be free if the government's strong enough to maintain order.

Once that's done a free people can be in charge as they see fit to run the rest of trans/tech/ed and jobs will be created as needed.

Haha glad I got you thinking. Let's hope the government can get strong enough so a free people can run the rest of all those things and that it actually works well.

I would just like to thank those who are contributing to this thread on the spirit in which it was meant.... a non-partisan, rational look at the potential problems ahead of us.

Until this, 'below,' starts going down instead of up, we are in deep, deep economic trouble. It's unsustainable and going to crash in the very near future whether we embroil ourselves in another war or not, and it surely doesn't take the "worlds smartest man" to predict it. Most Americans have finally become of aware of the problem also, and it polls at the most important issue at hand to voters in this presidential election cycle. The cuts to start it coming back the other direction have been described as having to be so "draconian," that it could very well propel America into anarchy or Civil War II.

We're in trouble... big time... I knew that before some some dude in a foreign country told me...

snip-0.jpg

Last edited:
Until this, 'below,' starts going down instead of up, we are in deep, deep economic trouble. It's unsustainable and going to crash in the very near future whether we embroil ourselves in another war or not, and it surely doesn't take the "worlds smartest man" to predict it. Most Americans have finally become of aware of the problem also, and it polls at the most important issue at hand to voters in this presidential election cycle. The cuts to start it coming back the other direction have been described as having to be so "draconian," that it could very well propel America into anarchy or Civil War II.

We're in trouble... big time... I knew that before some some dude in a foreign country told me...

I think you are correct in thinking that Americans are becoming more aware of the trouble we are in. I feel that something drastic is going to happen because people are becoming more aware of how much trouble we are in and it does not seem like the government is doing enough to get the economy back on track. It is only a matter of time before Americans can't take it anymore.

it does not seem like the government is doing enough to get the economy back on track.

Actually the government consists of Democrats and Republicans.
Republicans since Jefferson have wanted a smaller government, lower taxes and a Balanced Budget Amendment because they are responsible, intelligent, and not power mad.

Democrats have wanted the opposite because they are irresponsible, slow, and power mad!

Now, you don't need to blame our problems on governemnt, you can blame them on Democrats, and seem a whole lot more sophisticated as you talk and think about our problems.

Those who pay attention to the world outside our borders – and we really should since it impacts on us – will be aware that there was recently a World Economics Forum in Darvos, Switzerland.

Attending said Forum was Dr Nouriel Roubini (world famous Economist), nicknamed Dr Doom for his dire predictions prior to those predictions becoming reality around the world. Smart, smart, smart man. Nowadays, governments around the world listen to him… because he’s been right about so much shit hitting so many fans. I should, perhaps, mention that Dr Roubini is a Professor of Economics and International Business at NY University.

Now, I can’t provide you with a link to some crap media report about what he said at the forum… mainly because the media are either ignoring it or pandering to whatever political agenda best suits their reporting.

But…. What did he say? And who the hell is gonna listen? I can answer – in part – the first question ... He said:

The biggest coming issue is a potential conflict between the US (with Israel) and Iran. He predicts that conflict may lead to oil prices rocketing to $150 per barrel. That would, in turn, lead to another global recession.

He said both the US and Europe needs to radically reform to stop its debt mountain, otherwise the world economy will not recover and both will continue to see their standard of living fall. He is very pessimistic about both the EU and US taking the steps necessary to push themselves into a strong recovery.

He – and the IMF – say that the global economy is getting weaker… and they predict only 3.0-3.3% growth in the coming year. His prediction for US growth is between 1.7-1.8%.... and predicts that unemployment will remain high.

He mentioned issues with China becoming less stable because of its over reliance on foreign markets, and under-consumption (I have mentioned that one several times on the forum).

He talked about how too much debt in both the public and private sectors may take up to a decade to restablize.

In short, we need to clean up our balance sheet – as a nation and invest in the things that will make us more productive in the future.

So what did he suggest that nations do? Clean up our debt, and shift our investments from the ‘quick profit’ sectors such as finance and real estate to investing in our human capital (people), our structure, technology and innovation.

I think he’s right. We are America – a nation of innovators, entrepreneurs, and optimism.

Next question…. Who is listening to Dr Doom?

I don’t know…. But I really hope that Obama…. And whoever is next in line – are paying close attention in class.

the world outside our borders?

Not many of us live in England. :lol: You might be the only one.

Those who pay attention to the world outside our borders – and we really should since it impacts on us – will be aware that there was recently a World Economics Forum in Darvos, Switzerland.

Attending said Forum was Dr Nouriel Roubini (world famous Economist), nicknamed Dr Doom for his dire predictions prior to those predictions becoming reality around the world. Smart, smart, smart man. Nowadays, governments around the world listen to him… because he’s been right about so much shit hitting so many fans. I should, perhaps, mention that Dr Roubini is a Professor of Economics and International Business at NY University.

Now, I can’t provide you with a link to some crap media report about what he said at the forum… mainly because the media are either ignoring it or pandering to whatever political agenda best suits their reporting.

But…. What did he say? And who the hell is gonna listen? I can answer – in part – the first question ... He said:

The biggest coming issue is a potential conflict between the US (with Israel) and Iran. He predicts that conflict may lead to oil prices rocketing to $150 per barrel. That would, in turn, lead to another global recession.

He said both the US and Europe needs to radically reform to stop its debt mountain, otherwise the world economy will not recover and both will continue to see their standard of living fall. He is very pessimistic about both the EU and US taking the steps necessary to push themselves into a strong recovery.

He – and the IMF – say that the global economy is getting weaker… and they predict only 3.0-3.3% growth in the coming year. His prediction for US growth is between 1.7-1.8%.... and predicts that unemployment will remain high.

He mentioned issues with China becoming less stable because of its over reliance on foreign markets, and under-consumption (I have mentioned that one several times on the forum).

He talked about how too much debt in both the public and private sectors may take up to a decade to restablize.

In short, we need to clean up our balance sheet – as a nation and invest in the things that will make us more productive in the future.

So what did he suggest that nations do? Clean up our debt, and shift our investments from the ‘quick profit’ sectors such as finance and real estate to investing in our human capital (people), our structure, technology and innovation.

I think he’s right. We are America – a nation of innovators, entrepreneurs, and optimism.

I don’t know…. But I really hope that Obama…. And whoever is next in line – are paying close attention in class.

I guess the content was over your intellectual pay grade. I do apologize for posting intelligent, nonpartisan, information.

I guess the content was over your intellectual pay grade. I do apologize for posting intelligent, nonpartisan, information.

Do you ever have fun OR..are you ALWAYS just an uptight

BITCH!!!!!!

:lol:

Lighten up Sugar britches... You have to admit that you are and have been for quite a while slightly detatched from OUR borders.

Do you ever have fun OR..are you ALWAYS just an uptight

BITCH!!!!!!

Lighten up Sugar britches... You have to admit that you are and have been for quite a while slightly detatched from OUR borders.

You have a whole fucking forum to bullshit. One fucking thread that managed to be a reasonable debate and that's one too many for you.

it does not seem like the government is doing enough to get the economy back on track.

Republicans since Jefferson have wanted a smaller government, lower taxes and a Balanced Budget Amendment because they are responsible, intelligent, and not power mad.

Democrats have wanted the opposite because they are irresponsible, slow, and power mad!

Now, you don't need to blame our problems on governemnt, you can blame them on Democrats, and seem a whole lot more sophisticated as you talk and think about our problems.

I am sorry but I am not gonna blame our problems on just Republicans. Each party has contributed to the failing economy in their own right. Republicans are not doing a good job of getting anything done either. If Republicans really wanted what they say, our economy would be running smoothly. President Bush is just as responsible for the economy as is Obama.

I am sorry but I am not gonna blame our problems on just Republicans. Each party has contributed to the failing economy in their own right. Republicans are not doing a good job of getting anything done either. If Republicans really wanted what they say, our economy would be running smoothly. President Bush is just as responsible for the economy as is Obama.

Your post seems to be sensible, and I don't think thats allowed here, so take that crap somewhere else.

But to get somewhat back on topic.
Roubini sux. He is pretty much known as king of the PermaBears, in which he tries to see the economy in the worst light possible. It allows him to make most downturn predictions, but miss every opportunity for a market upswing.

Pre-Market Primer: Doctor Doom Joins The Bulls | Stocks And Markets | Minyanville.com

The graph on this page shows how bad he has been lately.

Forum List

Back