Rudy Giuliani, 2008?

Mark my words, in our lifetimes, there will NEVER be an African-American candidate on the Republican ticket, especially for President because the Republicans are so dependent on the South to carry them. Many people (certainly not everyone) in the south, and for that matter in other parts of the country, simply won't vote for a black candidate. If there is a black candidate it will not be Condoleeza Rice, it will be Colin Powell. My prediction is that the Republican ticket in 2008, especially if Bush loses this year, will be Ashcroft/Frist.

acliudem

Originally posted by acludem
Mark my words, in our lifetimes, there will NEVER be an African-American candidate on the Republican ticket, especially for President because the Republicans are so dependent on the South to carry them. Many people (certainly not everyone) in the south, and for that matter in other parts of the country, simply won't vote for a black candidate. If there is a black candidate it will not be Condoleeza Rice, it will be Colin Powell. My prediction is that the Republican ticket in 2008, especially if Bush loses this year, will be Ashcroft/Frist.

acliudem

Yeah, wouldn't that just destroy your ability to use you "republicans are racists" hackneyed strawman argument.

I didn't say all Republicans are racists, I said because of the fact that some in the Republican base won't vote for a black candidate, a black candidate, with the exception of Colin Powell, won't be on the ticket any time soon. Unfortunately, the same thing can be said of some in the Democratic party, and I'm sure there were some who didn't vote for Gore in 2000 because he had a Jew on the ticket, and that's very unfortunate. There are also political reasons why Rice won't be on the ticket in 2008, and it's because 9/11 is a liability for her. Has Condi Rice ever held elective office? I'm honestly curious. I'm not calling the Republican Party as a whole racist, but there are certainly racist elements within the party, just as there are some (both black and white) in the Democratic Party. It's unfortunate, but it's true.

acludem

I didn't say all Republicans are racists, I said because of the fact that some in the Republican base won't vote for a black candidate, a black candidate, with the exception of Colin Powell, won't be on the ticket any time soon. Unfortunately, the same thing can be said of some in the Democratic party, and I'm sure there were some who didn't vote for Gore in 2000 because he had a Jew on the ticket, and that's very unfortunate. There are also political reasons why Rice won't be on the ticket in 2008, and it's because 9/11 is a liability for her. Has Condi Rice ever held elective office? I'm honestly curious. I'm not calling the Republican Party as a whole racist, but there are certainly racist elements within the party, just as there are some (both black and white) in the Democratic Party. It's unfortunate, but it's true.

acludem

Funny how everything is turned into racism....

It wouldn't be the republicans fear - but would the American public vote for a black woman? That is the question. Would you? Would you NOT vote for Condi simply because she is black?

You cannot have a simple conversation involving the naming of a black person - female or male - without adding racism to the subject. Racism aside....I think Americans need a Condi Rice as President.

acliudem

I happen to be VERY southern and I am deeply offended by that. The only people I see in the south now that are still blinded so much by racism that they could never vote for a black candidate are backwards rednecks who wouldn't know a calculator from a toaster, and they don't vote. Even if they did, they'd never figure out the ballot. Oh, and not only do I live in the south, I live in Georgia, around Atlanta. The black population there is quite prominent and there aren't any problems with it. I'll be the first to admit that there are still many people, mainly of the older generations, that are racist, I have never seen it get in the way of decision making. In fact, many friends I have who are "yankees" think the racism is actually less prominent here than it is in New England, except maybe against Hispanics...maybe. Now stop lumping the south under "racist," and move on...y'all.

On a side note, Colin Powell will never run for president. His wife had a premonition that if he were either president or vice president, he would be assassinated, so he will not be running.

Oh, and I'd vote for Condi Rice anyday.

acliudem

Quite an arrogant remark for a Democrat to make. How do you know who the GOP base will vote for? Why not just come out and say "Republicans hate blacks," if that's what you were thinking?

And why is it that the Democrats dumped not one, but two black candidates for President this year? If the Democrats really really really care aobut blacks, why not run a Sharpton/Braun-Moseley ticket?

Originally posted by gop_jeff
And why is it that the Democrats dumped not one, but two black candidates for President this year? If the Democrats really really really care aobut blacks, why not run a Sharpton/Braun-Moseley ticket?

Because Sharpton is a racist and has no chance of winning. His main campaign issue is, "White people are evil, and should be forced to cater to black people, no matter what."

Originally posted by Hobbit
Because Sharpton is a racist and has no chance of winning. His main campaign issue is, "White people are evil, and should be forced to cater to black people, no matter what."

Thats not just his campaign slogan, thats the Democratic campaign slogan. At least when all of their ideas are debunked and they have nothing else to debate republicans with. they call the race card.

I won't vote for her because she's Republican, and personally I don't like her politics. I have voted for many women candidates (including Missouri's first woman Senator who unfortunately lost, Jean Carnahan), and have voted for black candidates for school board, which is the only position I've had a chance to vote for a black candidate. If Carol Moselely-Braun had been the Democratic nominee for President she would have had my vote. I wouldn't have voted for Al Sharpton for the same reason I wouldn't vote for someone from the KKK, because he's racist. I'd like to see both parties recruit more candidates of color. I'd love to see John Kerry select Gov. Bill Richardson of New Mexico as his running mate, the first Latino on a major party presidential ticket.

Colin Powell is by far the most viable black candidate for President. I doubt if he'll ever run though.

As for your campaign slogan, I will admit that I sometimes do think some in my party do to much race baiting. As I do not think that view represents the majority of my party, neither do I believe the view I expressed in my earlier post is the view of the majority of the Republican Party.

acludem

No, Powell already tried to go for president, but his wife's mental conditions were brought up by Democrats and Powell stepped down. Democratic politics at its finest.

Not that I can remember, but I'll look for you. He wanted to run in 1996, if I remember, and the fact that his wife isn't "all there," gave Dems a perfect chance to pounce on someone that would have defeated Clinton.

I don't remember Colin Powell ever declaring himself a presidential candidate. Any proof for this?

acludem

All you need to do is read anything under Colin Powell...this was no secret.

He 'toyed' with the idea of running in 1996 and it was due to certain issues related to his wife that he did not persue this...at the time he was chair of jt. ch. of staff.

Originally posted by preemptingyou03
Not that I can remember, but I'll look for you. He wanted to run in 1996, if I remember, and the fact that his wife isn't "all there," gave Dems a perfect chance to pounce on someone that would have defeated Clinton.

Plus the fact that he was afraid America was not ready for a black president.

We had discussed this at work at that time and several thought it was a shame that he did not persue this...

He made the choice not to seek the nomination. Of course, Tom Eagleton from right here in Missouri got taken off of the Democratic ticket in 1972 because he had been to see a shrink. I believe it was a young Republican Senator from Kansas named Bob Dole who leaked that out. He was even rewarded with the Vice Presidential slot in 1976 because he was such a good hatchet man. Hmmmm...isn't he the same guy who ran as the Republican candidate in 1996? Are you sure it wasn't Dole who leaked the information about Colin Powell's wife?

acludem

He made the choice not to seek the nomination. Of course, Tom Eagleton from right here in Missouri got taken off of the Democratic ticket in 1972 because he had been to see a shrink. I believe it was a young Republican Senator from Kansas named Bob Dole who leaked that out. He was even rewarded with the Vice Presidential slot in 1976 because he was such a good hatchet man. Hmmmm...isn't he the same guy who ran as the Republican candidate in 1996? Are you sure it wasn't Dole who leaked the information about Colin Powell's wife?

acludem

Very well could have been. Politics is a ruthless game. Just look at how the Dems attacked each other during the Primaries and are now buddy buddy in atatcking GWB afterwards.

Originally posted by insein
Very well could have been. Politics is a ruthless game. Just look at how the Dems attacked each other during the Primaries and are now buddy buddy in atatcking GWB afterwards.

Wouldn't surprise me if Hillary masterminded all that backstabbing. Kinda hard to run for pres in 2008 if your party has the incumbent.

I've been predicting Giuliani in 2008 for awhile now. I think (after Bush wins easily in 04) Giuliani will have to spend the next four years checking for any "skeletons in the closet" (as with anyone running for president) that the dems will use against him.

I haven't really thought about the VP in 08. I don't know enough about Woolsey to say yes or no at this point. I do think Rice would be a great choice. Unfortunately I think the dems would play the racism card by, among other tactics, stating that the republicans are just using Rice to get the black and female vote. On the positive side, Rice is fully capable of making just about anyone look like a fool.

Off topic, but how about Rice/Giuliani VS Hillary/? presidential rice in 2008? It's not entirely unrealistic, and would be very interesting.

The republicans could really piss off the dems and nominate Jeb Bush for VP. :p:

acludem

You can go as far back to the begining of time to find this sort of behaivor in people. It shouldn't be any suprise by now....Republican/Democrat-they are all humans...no one political group is beyond backstabbing.....human nature.

Forum List

Back