Rude Bicyclists!

Eightball

Oct 13, 2004
There's a real nice walking trail near my home in San Jose, called the Los Gatos Creek Trail. It covers several miles of undeveloped landspace owned and managed by our county and the our county's water district. The trail is for bicyclists, joggers, walkers, dog walkers(leashed dogs), and winds along creek and percolation pond areas. It's a wonderful place to walk and just let your mind get off the stresses of life, while enjoying some local wildlife, such as geese, ducks, egrets, Herons, fishing, squirrels, and lots of wild trees and bushes.

Anyway, the are specific rules that bicyclists must not exceed 15 miles per hour on the asphault paved trail. The trail has a center-line that basically divides the trial for people going in both directions. Everyone stays on the right unless passing slower folks.

My nice relaxing walks, or my more agressive cardio walks are constantly punctuated by rude bicyclists that use the trail as a Lance Armstrong proving ground. These cyclists usually are garbed in skin tight racing suits, that looking like decaled Nascar racers. They all wear bullet shaped helmets, and have very dark streamlined sunglasses. These folks will come from behind those that are walking and pass them at speeds nearing residential street, automobile speeds. In most cases, you don't hear them coming until they pass you as your walking, and they barely miss slamming their handle bars or jagged metal petals into you. They never ring a bell, or say, "coming on your left!", or any other polite gesture. I've practically felt my heart jump as I've had these folks pass me unexpectedly. They all look like your typical Yuppie or Gen X up and comer. Some will have a brief case hanging on their bike, and most likely use this trail as a means to commute to work.

Anyway, I've been a biker myself in the past, and I always applied courtesy when riding on trails where folks hike on foot. I talked to a ranger one day, and he said that these bikers were a problem.

I hope I'm not being nit-picky, but some how I thought that the rudeness of the road that is so apparent on the freeways of the S.F. bay area where I live, wouldn't be able to invade my walking/nature trail. These folks, in the name of excercise or wanting to be Lance Armstrong wannabees..........are very rude folks. It seems that rudeness is just rampant in society. It's reflected in so many more things too.

There isn't a day, that I don't see atleast one red-light runner. When I cross a street and use a pedestrian crossing, the California DMV says that I have the right-of-way in that cross-walk(of course I must use safety and common sense, and not impede traffic if possible), but many drivers will make turns right across the pedestrian crossing in front of me as I'm crossing. Drivers are supposed to yield and wait until a pedestrian crosses, but most don't even hesitate to ignore that law.

People just seem to be so self-absorbed in there own thing, and fail to look out for others. We have become such a selfish generation............it's very sad indeed.

Common courtesy on the road while driving is nearly extinct. Letting people in who have their turn signal on and want to make a lane change is non-existent.

Tail-gating is absolutely Pandemic on San Francisco Bay Area freeways! 3 ton SUV/pick-up drivers tailgate people driving 2,500 lb. cars with impunity. People just don't think about anyone else but themselves.

I guess I could vent on and on.............I'm just tired of the old "me, myself, and I" attitude becoming so dominate in society. It's ugly, it's evil, it's practically anarchic. It rejects authority.........it's just bad. :bang3:

...and unfortunately, it's how we get things done. :)

Most people that are being tailgated are doing 50 in the far left lane of traffic.. That's asking for trouble..

If you're crossing the street and I'm turning, yeah, I'll probably turn in front of you if you're less than half way across the street.. I'm driving to get there faster than walking..

I agree eightball, I've had those bicyclists come up behind me way too quickly and stealthily. Do they ever consider that someone walking might twist their foot and stumble onto their path? Guess what? They would be in a heap of trouble from a liability angle.

Same thing with driving, you will get to your destination quickly enough, without scaring a pedestrian in a crosswalk or tailgating. I drive quite fast, but not where there are people crossing the road and I like to have plenty of stopping room. Funny thing, I've never rear-ended anyone with my vehicle. :)

Ever notice how people will smile at you if you just practice the courtesy your mother taught you?

Pretty much nobody that tailgates people for whatever reason has rearended anyone. They practice defensive driving. :) The people that do rear end others are the people that are a menace to the road *anyway*. They jet out in front of traffic moving faster than them, they think they're the only people on the road, they're freakin yapping on cell phones instead of paying attention to what the hell they're doing, etc.

Most often guilty? Women.

Shattered said:
Pretty much nobody that tailgates people for whatever reason has rearended anyone. They practice defensive driving. :) The people that do rear end others are the people that are a menace to the road *anyway*. They jet out in front of traffic moving faster than them, they think they're the only people on the road, they're freakin yapping on cell phones instead of paying attention to what the hell they're doing, etc.

That's not what we learned at State Farm.

Kathianne said:
That's not what we learned at State Farm.

How many men do you see yapping on a cell phone, eating an ice cream cone, signing paperwork, putting on makeup, brushing their hair...etc?

Men may be asshole drivers, but a large majority of women are dangerous.. They're also the ones doing 50 in the left lane of the freeway..

Shattered said:
How many men do you see yapping on a cell phone, eating an ice cream cone, signing paperwork, putting on makeup, brushing their hair...etc?

Men may be asshole drivers, but a large majority of women are dangerous.. They're also the ones doing 50 in the left lane of the freeway..

Cell phones? More men than women. I've never seen anyone driving and eating ice cream, signing anything-how can you tell it's paperwork? Now, if I saw a guy putting on makeup, I'd look. Actually, this whole debate seems pretty lame. LOL

Rear end collisions are always caused by being too close to the car in front of you, by definition. Most often the driver is a young male or elderly. Men are behind those groups.

Kathianne said:
Cell phones? More men than women. I've never seen anyone driving and eating ice cream, signing anything-how can you tell it's paperwork? Now, if I saw a guy putting on makeup, I'd look. Actually, this whole debate seems pretty lame. LOL

Rear end collisions are always caused by being too close to the car in front of you, by definition. Most often the driver is a young male or elderly. Men are behind those groups.

If you get rearended by someone elderly, you're *really* screwing up. They drive at 20, no matter where they're at..

Paperwork, birthday card, same difference.. How can I tell? I shouldn't have to move to the middle lane from the left lane to pass. But you can bet that while I am moving, I'll be glancing over at you to let you know you're an idiot.

The same has held true for large cities, and small alike.. The only thing that changes is the posted speed limit.

If we want common courtesy in dealing with society, we need to extend some ourselves in our every day lives, and that involves following the basic rules of common sense while on the road.

Shattered said:

I'm sorry, honey, but thats a big bucket of B.S.!

I belonged to the Porsche Club of America for several years, and did a lot of Auto-Crossing..........that's racing your car through a windy course for time. I learned an awful lot about how to handle a car that spins, hard braking, etc..........but...tail-gaters are dangerous drivers. They live under the illusion that even though they're one car-length or less behind a vehicle and traveling at 70+ mph. they are in complete control of their vehicle.

Another thing; this attitude that anyone that slows us down in the far left lane is a hazard.........is a bad driving attitude and lacks common sense and common sensitivity!

California DMV Law emphasizes "courtesy".........If you do not excercise courtesy, you can be cited.........and rightly so! If a driver doesn't move "right" for a faster vehicle in the left-most lane.........then the faster vehicle usually has the option to pass on the right, but at a safe over-take speed. The problem I've seen is that traffic in the left-most lane is basically filled to the max........yet some "Yo-Yo" hot shot will tail-gate the person in front of them even though it wouldn't give the tail-gater any benefit if the slower car moved over. It's just discourteous driving.

For those of you that tail-gate at interstate/freeway/pike speeds............ever wonder what you'd do if that person in front of you had to do a panic stop, and you didn't anticipate it happening? The front of your vehicle would be in their trunk or back seat, and you just might end up with the death of some human's on your conscience for the rest of your earthly life. One car length for every 10 mph. was the rule-of-thumb.........I know that when traffic is tight during big commutes that rule is hard to maintain or traffic would be stretched out for 100's of miles, but common sense still needs to prevail.

Tail-gating is a selfish act......it endangers the vehicle's drivers and occupants immediately in front of you.

Patience is a dieing thing..........everyone is in a hurry to get...............where?..........

I really think that the way a person drives.........accurately reveals, one's personality, and attitude towards others and expecially about themselves.

Shattered said:
If you get rearended by someone elderly, you're *really* screwing up. They drive at 20, no matter where they're at..

Paperwork, birthday card, same difference.. How can I tell? I shouldn't have to move to the middle lane from the left lane to pass. But you can bet that while I am moving, I'll be glancing over at you to let you know you're an idiot.

The same has held true for large cities, and small alike.. The only thing that changes is the posted speed limit.

If we want common courtesy in dealing with society, we need to extend some ourselves in our every day lives, and that involves following the basic rules of common sense while on the road.

Umm, the speed at which someone is going, doesn't have much to do with being rearended, rather their lack of attention or necessary time in which to stop. Most with damage are caused by lack of ability to stop in time. The ones at a basic idle speed, tend not to cause damage, because modern cars have flexible bumpers.

Personally, I drive when I drive. I don't do any of the things you seem to see so commonly. I've noticed the cell phones, which I don't have. I think they should be illegal to use while driving, but haven't seen any such laws, so I guess we'll keep seeing them.

Another thing; this attitude that anyone that slows us down in the far left lane is a hazard.........is a bad driving attitude and lacks common sense and common sensitivity!

They absolutely are a hazard.. If you can't keep up with the constant flow of traffic, stay the hell off the freeway - take side streets. If everyone ELSE is doing 75, and YOU are doing 55, YOU are the problem, and can be ticketed for it.

California laws are different than Wisconsin laws are different than Chicago laws, etc...

One car length for every 10 mph. was the rule-of-thumb.........I know that when traffic is tight during big commutes that rule is hard to maintain or traffic would be stretched out for 100's of miles, but common sense still needs to prevail.

That hasn't happened since 1925. Sheesh. Keep walking. Please. :)

I really think that the way a person drives.........accurately reveals, one's personality, and attitude about others and expecially themselves.

I can't wait to hear this.. I tailgate to give someone a clue to get the hell out of my way.. If it fails, and they're too stupid to move over, I pass them, and then move back in to the left lane and continue about my merry way..

I can't wait to see your character analysis for me. :)

That slow driver we're cussing at..........have you ever wondered if maybe they're just having a bad day? Ever wondered when your tail-gating them that maybe they're a harried housewife, with screaming, hungry kids in several car seats...........? Maybe its some guy that just got fired from his job........and he's not paying attention to the speed limit..........or maybe the person that's driving too slow is just relaxed and enjoying life............

Maybe that person is a Dad, a Mom, a new driver(teen), and elderly person, whose a nervous driver..........

Anyway, do they need to be tail-gated.........? To they need to be intimidated with our big old grill in their mirrors? Do we need to move into their safety space and endanger their lives.............because they don't drive fast enough for us?

"Do unto others as you would want them to do unto you?"

"Love your neighbor?"

Man our society is becoming a bunch of little, self-centered islands all running around bumping into each other.........

Eightball said:
That slow driver we're cussing at..........have you ever wondered if maybe they're just having a bad day? Ever wondered when your tail-gating them that maybe they're a harried housewife, with screaming, hungry kids in several car seats...........? Maybe its some guy that just got fired from his job........and he's not paying attention to the speed limit..........or maybe the person that's driving too slow is just relaxed and enjoying life............

Maybe that person is a Dad, a Mom, a new driver(teen), and elderly person, whose a nervous driver..........

Anyway, do they need to be tail-gated.........? To they need to be intimidated with our big old grill in their mirrors?

"Do unto others as you would want them to do unto you?"

"Love your neighbor?"

Man our society is becoming a bunch of little, self-centered islands all running around bumping into each other.........

When you're on the road, and in control of a vehicle, you'd damned well better NOT have anything on your mind except controling that vehicle. Not paying attention is the single BIGGEST cause of accidents. Those people you speak of above have no business being behind the wheel of a moving vehicle. They're going to get someone killed. When you're on a freeway, certain things are standard expectations - that you keep up with the flow of traffic, that you use common sense while driving, that you maintain control of your vehicle, and don't drift off in to la-la land, etc.

Shattered said:

They absolutely are a hazard.. If you can't keep up with the constant flow of traffic, stay the hell off the freeway - take side streets. If everyone ELSE is doing 75, and YOU are doing 55, YOU are the problem, and can be ticketed for it.

California laws are different than Wisconsin laws are different than Chicago laws, etc...

One car length for every 10 mph. was the rule-of-thumb.........I know that when traffic is tight during big commutes that rule is hard to maintain or traffic would be stretched out for 100's of miles, but common sense still needs to prevail.

That hasn't happened since 1925. Sheesh. Keep walking. Please. :)

I really think that the way a person drives.........accurately reveals, one's personality, and attitude about others and expecially themselves.

I can't wait to hear this.. I tailgate to give someone a clue to get the hell out of my way.. If it fails, and they're too stupid to move over, I pass them, and then move back in to the left lane and continue about my merry way..

I can't wait to see your character analysis for me. :)

There my friends, this is the epitome of the "me" first generation.........which actually transcends all generations........but seems more common now.......authority is questioned/challenged.........and the rights of others be damned.................!

Romans 1: 22...."Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools.............."

Just don't tail-gate me........cuss........you're insurance company will be paying for my next Bahama cruise.

Eightball said:
There my friends, this is the epitome of the "me" first generation.........which actually transcends all generations........but seems more common now.......authority is questioned/challenged.........and the rights of others be damned.................!

Romans 1: 22...."Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools.............."

How is my actually having somewhere to be, and wanting to get there any more of a "me first" attitude than your "I'm taking a leisurely stroll, you should just deal with the pace I'm moving." attitude?

Shattered said:
How is my actually having somewhere to be, and wanting to get there any more of a "me first" attitude than your "I'm taking a leisurely stroll, you should just deal with the pace I'm moving." attitude?

To take a position that everyone must be 100% perfect in mind/will/ and emotions while driving a vehicle is to believe that we the one expecting it is the same. You know and I know that none of us are perfect drivers. There are elements, that are unforseen......when driving.....that can occur without our doing a single miscue.

When you drive..........you take the road as a privelege......I would assume that most vehicular laws in most states would agree with Calif., that driving is a privilege.........and with that privilege comes responsibility, to yourself and to all others around you that can be affected by your driving. That includes drivers of vehicles, both motorized and not(bicycles), and pedestrians.

A privilege is something that can be revoked, but is maintained by continually earning it. Driving responsibly is also driving courteously.

"Courteously", doesn't just mean, when it suits us, but can mean, letting the other person have the right-of-way, just to keep things civil, and safe. It means excercising patience when we'd like to give someone the middle finger salute, for slowing us down, or lane changing at the last minute in front of us and forgetting to use a turn signal. It means that we acknowledge that we don't have the right to cast a stone at that other driver, because we probably deserved a few thrown at us in the past.

We should all be perfect........and move over immediately when a faster vehicle approaches.........but if we don't, should we be endangered!

Highway death and injury statistics are riddled with names of those that thought they had complete control of their vehicles............

Shattered said:

You just said that I have this attitude, and that I'm saying you should just deal with my La la driving attitude........?

I didn't say that did I.?.........I just asked that you consider there are "people" in the other vehicles.......other "humans".............living beings........ in those other vehicles that you want out of your way in the left lane..............be damned.

That's all.........Are they driving too slow in the left lane because they personally want to upset you? Are they there just to make your life miserable? Most likely, they don't know you, and probably don't even know they are upsetting folks..........

Giving folks a break has to start somewhere.....why can't we initiate courtesy, or just blow it off, and go around one time.......

I've often wondered when I felt impatient behind slow traffic................wonder if some how I was able to jig-jag in and out of traffic and get a few car-lengths ahead of some folks................would I really be better off? Wonder if because I was slowed down a little, that this timing worked out that I avoided being in a terrible car accident......if I had been further ahead of traffic through all kinds of aggressive driving.

Scenario...........Fates a funny thing..........I've often wondered if rushing sometimes put me into lousy scenarios that might have been avoided if I excercised patience and was 2 minutes later.

I'm tired...........must go to bed..........I'm rambling.

Good night.

As far as the biking problem... if you see a repeat offender, you could consider carrying a thick stick with you, and when he/she whizzes by you at dangerous speeds, stick the stick in between his spokes (as seen in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade). I'm sure that's the last time that person will speed past! :D

gop_jeff said:
As far as the biking problem... if you see a repeat offender, you could consider carrying a thick stick with you, and when he/she whizzes by you at dangerous speeds, stick the stick in between his spokes (as seen in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade). I'm sure that's the last time that person will speed past! :D

I suppose. :)

Anyway, I'd hate to run into one of those, "types", that is a bicyclist. If I pulled the old stick in the spokes trick, I'd probably be assaulted and beat to a pulp afterwards.

Actually, I know the stick scenario was a joke, and it wouldn't be a wise thing to attempt. Just my luck, and the bicyclist would end up injured bad, and that would be on my conscience.

As far as the tail-gating thing is concerned, I was rather surprised at the reaction from one individual. It was a, "To all drivers on the road, Be Damned, I'm coming through!, I will tail-gate if a think someone is holding me up, and I don't care one bit about them."

I guess, I just would hope that people would start respecting other people's space instead of thinking the worst of others.

Seems to me that the attitude of tail-gating to moving folks out of the way is just one tiny step in the progression towards, "road rage". Sometimes that "road rage" might end up being spawned in the one that's being tail-gated, and just doesn't have the capacity to endure someone's grill in their rear-view mirror.

Does anyone remember a Disney cartoon that was made back in the 1950's starring Goofy? Goofy played the nice calm husband and dad, and walked out the door to his car after having breakfast and kissing his family good bye. He was heading off to work in the commute. The interesting thing about the cartoon, was that the minute dear, sweet, husband/dad Goofy, got in his car and turned on the engine, he went through a transformation like Dr. Jekyl to Mr. Hyde. He became this absolute monster behind the wheel of his car; cutting people off, and driving at insane speeds. After creating all this havoc and destruction on the Freeway, he pulls into work, and gets out of his car and re-transforms back into this likeable guy.

Seems like driving, whether it's bicycles or cars brings out the true nature of folks. If you're patient and courteous.......as a driver.........or selfish and non-yielding, behind the wheel, this seems to reveal some interesting and alarming trends in society, in my opinion.

I didn't expect that type of response any of the folks that usually post here.

I remember about 10 years ago when I lived in Portland, OR I was driving my wife to work downtown. I was at a stop sign that had an obstructed view so I had to inch forward to see if anything was coming. A dude was riding his bike on the sidewalk and since I had pulled forward, he couldn't get by. He got so mad that he took a key or something and ran it down the side of my truck. When I got out to confront him, he claimed that I was "blocking his path" and he started getting really violent and threatening. Anyway, to make a long story short, a traffic cop happened to be nearby and when she saw that something was going on, she came over to investigate. Of course, the tree-hugger really thought he was right so he starts bitch'n about how I am blocking the sidewalk, etc. Well, she arrested him for vandalism and pointed out to him that in most states (and specifically in Oregon) bicyclists are required to follow the traffic laws. Therefore, 1) His riding on the sidewalk was illegal and 2) He didn't stop at the stop-sign which was illegal.

I had the last laugh. Not only did he have to pay for the repairs to my truck, he had to pay me $1,000 in compensatory damages and he had to serve 400 hours of community service. He also was banned for a year from riding his bike on city streets.

Forum List

Back