Rubio Bill Eliminates Federal Tax On Olympic Medals...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
WTG Marco! Keep it up. I know the usual suspects will sneer and attempt to belittle this effort, but this is a positive step in the right direction. Real Conservatives are few & far between these days. So i'll take what i can get.

Sen. Marco Rubio introduced a bill Wednesday to eliminate the federal government’s tax on Olympic medals, saying the levy amounted to yet another way the government tries to punish those who succeed.

Athletes who win a gold medal also earn a $25,000 honorarium — and with it an $8,986 tax bill to the IRS, according to Americans for Tax Reform, which crunched the numbers. That covers both the honorarium and the tax on the value of the gold in the medal itself.

The silver medal tax comes to $5,385, and the bronze medal tax is $3,502 — including $2 for the value of the bronze medal itself, and the $10,000 honorarium.

That could leave amateur athletes — in many cases still teenagers — facing stiff tax bills when they return to the U.S.

Mr. Rubio said that shouldn’t happen.

Our tax code is a complicated and burdensome mess that too often punishes success, and the tax imposed on Olympic medal winners is a classic example of this madness,” the Florida Republican said.

His bill would exempt the honorarium and the value of the Olympic medal itself from any federal taxes.

Congress is currently fighting over how to adjust the broader tax code and whether to let the Bush-era tax cuts expire. But Mr. Rubio said the Olympic winners shouldn’t have to wait until lawmakers finish that job.

“We can all agree that these Olympians who dedicate their lives to athletic excellence should not be punished when they achieve it,” he said...

Read More:
Rubio bill eliminates federal tax on Olympic medals - Washington Times
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

Last edited:
But, but , but .........they earned those medals in the name of the "public good", not as a greedy reward for all the hard work and effort they put in.....

Those medals and tax proceeds belong to the people, they earned them !!!

But, but , but .........they earned those medals in the name of the "public good", not as a greedy reward for all the hard work and effort they put in.....

Those medals and tax proceeds belong to the people, they earned them !!!

Yeah, Rubio said it best. Our Tax Code is madness.

If they tax them, then they should be able to deduct a lifetime of expenses for training, travel and whatnot.

I dunno about this bill. Yeah it's a feel good bill but does it really merit the time of our politicians? If they are taxed on the medal themselves I get it but if money changes hands then it seems normal. If you win a prize in this country you pay a tax. The way it's always been.

Honestly I wish congress would focus on more pressing issues.

WTG Marco! Keep it up. I know the usual suspects will sneer and attempt to belittle this effort, but this is a positive step in the right direction. Real Conservatives are few & far between these days. So i'll take what i can get.

Sen. Marco Rubio introduced a bill Wednesday to eliminate the federal government’s tax on Olympic medals, saying the levy amounted to yet another way the government tries to punish those who succeed.

Athletes who win a gold medal also earn a $25,000 honorarium — and with it an $8,986 tax bill to the IRS, according to Americans for Tax Reform, which crunched the numbers. That covers both the honorarium and the tax on the value of the gold in the medal itself.

The silver medal tax comes to $5,385, and the bronze medal tax is $3,502 — including $2 for the value of the bronze medal itself, and the $10,000 honorarium.

That could leave amateur athletes — in many cases still teenagers — facing stiff tax bills when they return to the U.S.

Our tax code is a complicated and burdensome mess that too often punishes success, and the tax imposed on Olympic medal winners is a classic example of this madness,” the Florida Republican said.

His bill would exempt the honorarium and the value of the Olympic medal itself from any federal taxes.

Congress is currently fighting over how to adjust the broader tax code and whether to let the Bush-era tax cuts expire. But Mr. Rubio said the Olympic winners shouldn’t have to wait until lawmakers finish that job.

“We can all agree that these Olympians who dedicate their lives to athletic excellence should not be punished when they achieve it,” he said...

Read More:
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

Very good of Rubio.

Also, I am glad the current tax rates were kicked down the road until after the November election...

If they are going to make exceptions for Olympic athletes then surely they can make exceptions for the LGBT community...................

Just because !!!!!!

I dunno about this bill. Yeah it's a feel good bill but does it really merit the time of our politicians? If they are taxed on the medal themselves I get it but if money changes hands then it seems normal. If you win a prize in this country you pay a tax. The way it's always been.

Yes, it's time to start small and keep going until we get real tax reform.

Every welfare check should have " You didn't earn this, we did" Emblazoned right across the face of it.

:eusa_drool:True. They should start with the GSA and work their way down the list. If they did that they wouldn't have time to even think about the Olympics.

Read More:
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

Phhfffffttttt.. :lol:

What a guy, maybe he should do some real freaking work.

Read More:
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

This is real work. Kudos to him.

"It was news to me that Olympic athletes got paid at all, but apparently winners get cash payments of $25,000 for a gold medal, $15,000 for silver and $10,000 for bronze. According to the Miami Herald, Rubio got the idea of guarding this income from the IRS from Grover Norquist's conservative policy group Americans for Tax Reform. It is, obviously, juicy red meat for an election year. It is also, obviously, terrible tax policy."

"We can all agree that these Olympians who dedicate their lives to athletic excellence should not be punished when they achieve it," Rubio said in a press release.

Except that honorariums, even if they go to Olympic athletes, are regular income, and there's no particularly good reason for exempting them. All kinds of unnecessary exemptions have been carved into the tax code, but if you're going to argue for a new one, it should be justified by some social benefit. For example, if you lower the capital gains tax, you could encourage investment, which could have economic benefits. What's the economic or social gain from giving athletes a free ride?"

Florida GOP Sen. Marco Rubio wants to exempt Olympic athletes from taxes on their medals. Why? Because they're special. - latimes.com

Read More:
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

Yeah, like attacking Chik Fil-A or signing petitions against private citizens....... :thup:

We’ve already made a trillion dollars’ worth of cuts. We can make another trillion or trillion-two, and what we then do is ask for the athletes to pay a little bit more.

Look, if you’ve received an Olympic Medal, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so athletic. There are a lot of athletic people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something—there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

If you won a medal, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great coach somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable Olympic system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in franchises and broadcast rights. If you’ve got a medal—you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Olympic stadiums didn’t get built on their own. Government money created the stadiums so that all the companies could make money off the Olympics.

We’ve already made a trillion dollars’ worth of cuts. We can make another trillion or trillion-two, and what we then do is ask for the athletes to pay a little bit more.

Look, if you’ve received an Olympic Medal, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so athletic. There are a lot of athletic people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something—there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

If you won a medal, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great coach somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable Olympic system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in franchises and broadcast rights. If you’ve got a medal—you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Olympic stadiums didn’t get built on their own. Government money created the stadiums so that all the companies could make money off the Olympics.
I take it you think this money should be tax exempt.

Why? MY money isn't. Your money isn't.

Forum List

Back