Rove slams Obama over 'bitter' comments, flag pin

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
From CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

(CNN) — Karl Rove launched a wide-ranging attack on Barack Obama during a speech at the National Rifle Association Convention Friday, blasting him for his recent comments calling some small town American's "bitter," and suggesting the Illinois senator is an effete politician unable to connect with a broad swath of Americans.

The comments, received enthusiastically by the large crowd in Louisville, Kentucky, are a likely sign Obama's words at a San Francisco fundraiser last month may be a major Republican talking-point should he capture the Democratic Party's nomination.

“You know in the age of Barack Obama I don’t know exactly what to call you, because after all, as he said, because we’re bitter and economically anxious, we ‘cling to our guns and we cling to our faith," Rove told the crowd to laughter and cheers.

"You probably didn't know you hunted out of economic anxiety, and if gas was a $1.50 a gallon, you probably wouldn't be hunting," he continued. “You probably thought you hunted because you enjoyed the outdoors and companionship with family and friends.”

Rove, largely credited with orchestrating campaign strategies that painted former Democratic nominees Al Gore and John Kerry as out of touch with small town Americans, also cited Obama's recent primary losses in Pennsylvania and West Virginia as evidence a large demographic is unwilling to vote for the presumptive Democratic nominee.

"We here have news for Barack Obama," Rove said. "The values of those people you diminished are the values of America. And those people don't like getting patronized, or viewed as an alien species, by a fellow who pretends to embody a new kind of politics, and especially by someone who wants to be president not of red states or blue states, but the United States."

Rove, who does not have an official role within John McCain's presidential campaign or at the Republican National Committee, also took Obama to task for recently wearing a flag pin.

"It is distracting to say in a Democratic primary when you are trying to cozy up to Moveon.org that an American flag on your lapel is a quote 'substitute' for true patriotism," Rove said. "Belittling all those who care to wear our country's flag, calling them false patriots, and then when you focus on the general election, like this week, start to showing up with an American flag on your lapel again. That's distracting."

more ... http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...bama-over-bitter-comments-flag-pin/#more-7169

Not a big fan of Rove, but I'd say he nails it this time.

*patiently awaits barrage of mud from the leftoids* :badgrin:

*yawn* :rolleyes:

Wow. Rove slams Democrat. Dog bites man. Sun rises in East.

Interesting the 180 you do from attempting to dismiss this in comparison to the alarmism, fearmongering and fabrications based on assumptions you manage to pull out where conservatives/Republicans are concerned.;)

Interesting the 180 you do from attempting to dismiss this in comparison to the alarmism, fearmongering and fabrications based on assumptions you manage to pull out where conservatives/Republicans are concerned.;)

Not assumptions. History and evidence.

I'm so shocked you'd agree with McCain's "informal advisor". And even more shocked that Rove would disparage Obama on a really stupid issue, since, of course, flag pins are so much more important than knowing the difference between shi'a and sunni in this day and age.

I'm so shocked you'd agree with McCain's "informal advisor". And even more shocked that Rove would disparage Obama on a really stupid issue, since, of course, flag pins are so much more important than knowing the difference between shi'a and sunni in this day and age.
I actually think that Obama's bitter comments did hurt him in the primaries following it...it did not go over well with the Average American, made him appear to be an elitist, unable to connect with the average Joe....

thus the loss of the working class voter that the polls are reporting. He's still got some mending to do for that gaff..... and even if he was white, that comment would be haunting him...imho.

Care

I actually think that Obama's bitter comments did hurt him in the primaries following it...it did not go over well with the Average American, made him appear to be an elitist, unable to connect with the average Joe....

thus the loss of the working class voter that the polls are reporting. He's still got some mending to do for that gaff..... and even if he was white, that comment would be haunting him...imho.

Care

I don't think it helped him, but I also think it's done, otherthan the fact that Rove wanted to keep it alive by commenting on it. I also am not convinced that anyone who was bothered by it was ever going to vote for Obama anyway. Ultimately, there's a huge disparity between McCain and Obama on real issues. It should be easy enough for people to make a choice based on those issues. I don't care if McCain called his wife a name. I DO care if his temper is so bad as to make him irrational. I don't care if Obama wears a flag pin. I DO care if he will pacify Hamas or pull troops out so quickly that they're in danger. I don't care if McCain has a cup of coffee with Rev Hagee or Obama with Rev Wright.... I DO care if McCain is trading my right to choice for the endorsement of the religious right the same as I'd care if Obama picked a cabinet that saw Israel as (how did Rev Wright put it?)... oh yeah, "state sponsored terrorism".

So, yeah, I'm tired of Karl Rovian electoral tactics. There are too many real issues to discuss.

Since Rove doesn't have the swift boaters to tell some more lies, he is searching for someone else to do the dirty work.

I don't think it helped him, but I also think it's done, otherthan the fact that Rove wanted to keep it alive by commenting on it. I also am not convinced that anyone who was bothered by it was ever going to vote for Obama anyway. Ultimately, there's a huge disparity between McCain and Obama on real issues. It should be easy enough for people to make a choice based on those issues. I don't care if McCain called his wife a name. I DO care if his temper is so bad as to make him irrational. I don't care if Obama wears a flag pin. I DO care if he will pacify Hamas or pull troops out so quickly that they're in danger. I don't care if McCain has a cup of coffee with Rev Hagee or Obama with Rev Wright.... I DO care if McCain is trading my right to choice for the endorsement of the religious right the same as I'd care if Obama picked a cabinet that saw Israel as (how did Rev Wright put it?)... oh yeah, "state sponsored terrorism".

So, yeah, I'm tired of Karl Rovian electoral tactics. There are too many real issues to discuss.

Very well said Jillian, and I am with ya on most all of the issues you mentioned....but i still don't know how Obama stands even on some of the issues you mentioned...i will have to do some research...

care

Everyone will be relieved to know that sometimes he wears the flag pin.

This week, after eschewing the patriotic symbol for quite some time, Obama started wearing the pin to selected events. On Tuesday, he was sans pin on the Senate floor, but then later donned it while speaking to working-class voters in Missouri during the evening.

http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1779544,00.html

We have zero experience on how Obama would manage anything; therefore, it is fair game to consider what he says and how he says it about ANYTHING for clues as to how he would manage the Presidency should he be elected.

The Jeremiah Wright controversy, for instance, is important because of Wright's strong black liberation theology expressed in virtually everything he says. Is that what we want in a President? Somebody who focuses on condemning and/or punishing the presumed oppressor in order to lift up the presumed oppressed? Obama spent 20 years in close contact with that theology with never a word in protest about it. And his own writings and his own campaign rhetoric echo concepts of liberation theology suggesting a Marxist concept that it is appropriate for the government to 'take down' some for the benefit of others.

How much does Obama truly love his country and respect its Constitution and how passionately will he defend the principles that made it great? Incidents of not wearing a flag pin or not saluting the flag are insignificant in themselves, but when included in the larger picture, these could be indicators that merit consideration.

How much does Obama understand the basic core values of the average American--God, family, personal freedoms, personal integrity, accountability, initiative, and ability to determine one's own destiny? A comment suggesting that people cling to their religion and guns out of despair instead of out of who they are should raise huge questions about how Obama sees people and how much his own professed religious faith is genuine and how much is for 'show'.

All these are legitimate concerns in assessing a man who aspires to be leader of the world's most powerful nation.

Well, we already know that McCain doesn't believe in judicial review of legislation. I'd say that's pretty good indication that he doesn't believe in the Constitution.

We know Obama's a constitutional scholar.

Flag pins are bogus... the whole "patriotism" argument is a sham used when you can't discuss the issues because your party's on the wrong side of each and every one in terms of public attitudes.

To me the whole "black liberation" thing is no different than the whole "chosen people" thing. There is religion and there is governing. I don't see legislation making jews "chosen people" or condemning me to hell because I'm not a Christian. Nor do I expect to see any policy change based on Obama's church.

Now... whether or not McCain has traded the supreme court for the endorsement of the loony religious right, now THAT'S a legitimate concern.

I took a look at Google Images and you know what I couldn't find? A photo of John McCain wearing a flag pin.

images

images

images

senator-john-mccain.jpg

Care

I agree. It wasn't a smart thing to say.

Well, we already know that McCain doesn't believe in judicial review of legislation. I'd say that's pretty good indication that he doesn't believe in the Constitution.

We know Obama's a constitutional scholar.

Flag pins are bogus... the whole "patriotism" argument is a sham used when you can't discuss the issues because your party's on the wrong side of each and every one in terms of public attitudes.

To me the whole "black liberation" thing is no different than the whole "chosen people" thing. There is religion and there is governing. I don't see legislation making jews "chosen people" or condemning me to hell because I'm not a Christian. Nor do I expect to see any policy change based on Obama's church.

Now... whether or not McCain has traded the supreme court for the endorsement of the loony religious right, now THAT'S a legitimate concern.

McCain is not opposed to judicial review. He is opposed to judges overriding the law by writing new law such as the California Supreme Court did this past week. He sees that as a violation of separation of powers and he seeks to appoint judges who understand that.

If you embrace a Marxist philosophy of governance, you probably don't have a problem with 'liberation theology' and in fact might actually embrace it. Many hard core liberals do.

Patriotism as seen within the parameters of how a person views his country and to the extent to which he understands what has made it great and will defend such principles is a valid concern.

And if you think such issues are not valid for discussion in a debate prior to the vote to choose the leader of the nation, I sure hope you are in a distinct minority because we need people who understand these things to choose the leader of our nation.

Cindy McCain didn't pulicly say that 'this was the first time she has been proud of her country'. John McCain easily says that he loves his country and God bless America. Obama has a really tough time getting words like that out even when pressed to comment on it. McCain served his country in uniform, in combat, as a POW, and as a strong advocate for the military and our veterans. McCain also expressed faith and appreciation for the traditional values that made this country great. And McCain has not said that he won't wear a flag pin because he thinks it is a false patriotism to do so.

So you see, it is not the flag pin itself that is a problem for Obama. It is his reason for not wearing one along with all those other little clues that factor into the equation.

Cindy McCain didn't pulicly say that 'this was the first time she has been proud of her country'. John McCain easily says that he loves his country and God bless America. Obama has a really tough time getting words like that out even when pressed to comment on it. McCain served his country in uniform, in combat, as a POW, and as a strong advocate for the military and our veterans. McCain also expressed faith and appreciation for the traditional values that made this country great. And McCain has not said that he won't wear a flag pin because he thinks it is a false patriotism to do so.

So you see, it is not the flag pin itself that is a problem for Obama. It is his reason for not wearing one along with all those other little clues that factor into the equation.

Again this is a mole hill that people try to turn into a mountain. Obama’s wife is not running for president. I would think that McCain’s comment about not minding if we remained in Iraq 100 years to be much more significant. Anyway, Mrs. Obama likely misspoke, being caught up in the heat of the moment and being very proud that her husband might become president. I can understand why she made that comment while I don’t agree with a literal interpretation of it – and I doubt that she does either.

Again this is a mole hill that people try to turn into a mountain. Obama’s wife is not running for president. I would think that McCain’s comment about not minding if we remained in Iraq 100 years to be much more significant. Anyway, Mrs. Obama likely misspoke, being caught up in the heat of the moment and being very proud that her husband might become president. I can understand why she made that comment while I don’t agree with a literal interpretation of it – and I doubt that she does either.

Except that she did not amend or explain what she meant even in the face of all the media flurry about it. She meant it. Exactly as she said it.

McCain's comment, however, has been taken out of context, misquoted, misrepresented, and mischaracterized just as you may have done here. Those capable of intellectual honestly look at his whole quote in context and understand what he was saying. Those capable of intellectual honesty would have accepted Michelle Obama's clarification too had she chosen to expand on and/or amend her statement. McCain did that. She didn't.

Those you recruit to campaign with you, however, do speak for your campaign. Unfortunately Obama's campaign staff in Michelle and Jeremiah Wright and a couple of others have not served him well in generating confidence in his perspective and judgment. Obama was exposed to the same 20 years of liberation theology as Michelle. Does he share her views? He hasn't said that he does not. He was forced to finally denounce some of Jeremiah Wright's remarks, but he certainly has not convinced me that he does not embrace Jeremiah Wright's liberation theology. For 20 years he heard it and never had a problem with it.

Is that what you want in a President? If so, you probably don't want to know any more. If not, then the questions are fair game to ask.

Here's what she actually said, "for the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country — and not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change."

When you put quotes around things you are giving the impression that you are posting an exact quote instead of something you made up in your own little hysterical head.

Forum List

Back