Rossi Circuit Judge

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
You might talk me out of it with some solid criticism, but I think this is going on layaway.

Short review:

Chokes:

Longer review (20 min)

I think this would be a great all around woods gun. Hunting accurate to 100 yards for eastern whitetail and smaller with 45LC, 410 for small game, waterfowl, upland birds and snake gun.

Light in weight and mild recoil, great for camping, hiking or just as a truck gun.

Comments?

Last edited:
You might talk me out of it with some solid criticism, but I think this is going on layaway.

Short review:

Chokes:

Longer review (20 min)

I think this would be a great all around woods gun. Hunting accurate to 100 yards for eastern whitetail and smaller with 45LC, 410 for small game, waterfowl, upland birds and snake gun.

Light in weight and mild recoil, great for camping, hiking or just as a truck gun.

Comments?

I went with the Rossi Tri fecta. Great buy and great set up. It's my all around bug out and emergency set up.

Is the .45 Long Colt or the .410 slug enough to take a deer at 100 yards?

A friend of mine bought one of these back in 2011 and loves it. I haven't had a chance to shoot it, but he says it is a lot of fun.

Go for it!

Is the .45 Long Colt or the .410 slug enough to take a deer at 100 yards?

A friend of mine bought one of these back in 2011 and loves it. I haven't had a chance to shoot it, but he says it is a lot of fun.

Go for it!

I think so, though I'm no expert.

It won't shoot +P, but Buffalo Bore 45LC 255 grain heavy standard pressure is rated 1000 fps MV and 566 ft/lbs ME from a 6 inch barrel.

Figure a 20% increase from an 18 inch barrel, you're getting 1050 fps velocity and 583 ft/lbs energy @ 100 yards.

Standard Pressure Heavy 45 Colt Pistol Handgun Ammunition

MPBR for a 6 inch target is 117 yards with a near zero of 10 yards and a far zero @ 100 yards.

I think that should be plenty for a clean ethical harvest.

I've got a 6.5" judge, which is basically a shorter barreled version. I was not real impressed at first, but it has been growing on me. The little 410 is very underrated as a defensive cartridge.. sure, it's no 12 ga, but it still packs a wallop.. same velocities, just fewer projectiles.
I don't find it very useful beyond 40 yds or so. even the 45 colt is not real accurate from the rifling they put in it to make it the hybrid. The rossi rifle uses a reverse rifling choke for shooting the shotgun, which you should take out for shooting 45c.

I like the judge, & i've even modified it slightly to take the 45acp cartridge, like the governor. I reload, so i make my own bullets, of any caliber. As a short range, short barreled shotgun it probably has the most usefulness. I have much better & more accurate pistols, with more capacity. And even a 410 smooth bore shotgun has a better pattern than the pistol. I have thought about the circuit judge, & might get one as a companion to the judge, but i'm not sure what i'd use it for. But that has never stopped me before! :D

if you pay even 1/4 of retail, you know almost nothing about guns or hunting. those animals better be VERY close, as in 50 ft or less. If that's the case, why not just pop them with your ccw pistol?

if you pay even 1/4 of retail, you know almost nothing about guns or hunting. those animals better be VERY close, as in 50 ft or less. If that's the case, why not just pop them with your ccw pistol?

With an 18" barrel, the Circuit Judge would compare with lever guns in .45 Long Colt. And they will work fine out to 100 yrds or so. That is adequate for woods hunting.

yeah, but it's really not much better than a single shot 410 would be, for $100. No more than the 410 revolver carbine can do it's not worth more than twice the cost of the 410 single shot. The price of this 410 revolver is ridiculous. Now, if it was a 16 shot 308 cap and ball, with a silencer, luminous sights and folding stock, or 8 shot 10 ga, it really would be worth $2000.

If the silencer is welded onto a cap and ball, it's not a silencer, by definition. Triple Seven powder would let you drive paper-patched cast lead bullets to 308 velocities. It's not concealable now, so why care if the cylinder is 2.5" in diameter? It would be legal to ship in the mail and for felons to own, (in many states, not all). Contrary to popular belief, you CAN silence a revolver. You just need a brass cone on a projecting forcing cone part of the barrel and a Nagant revolver type of mechanism to force forward the cylinder, ( addition to rotating it) A pump action could do that.

Last edited:
yeah, but it's really not much better than a single shot 410 would be, for $100. No more than the 410 revolver carbine can do it's not worth more than twice the cost of the 410 single shot. The price of this 410 revolver is ridiculous. Now, if it was a 16 shot 308 cap and ball, with a silencer, luminous sights and folding stock, or 8 shot 10 ga, it really would be worth $2000.

If the silencer is welded onto a cap and ball, it's not a silencer, by definition. Triple Seven powder would let you drive paper-patched cast lead bullets to 308 velocities. It's not concealable now, so why care if the cylinder is 2.5" in diameter? It would be legal to ship in the mail and for felons to own, (in many states, not all). Contrary to popular belief, you CAN silence a revolver. You just need a brass cone on a projecting forcing cone part of the barrel and a Nagant revolver type of mechanism to force forward the cylinder, ( addition to rotating it) A pump action could do that.

Some people like the dual calibers. Some people like the looks of it. I have a friend who owns one and loves it. Sometimes it is just a matter of taste. And it is rarely a matter of "This gun is perfect".

Finally found one at the right price, $325, gently used.

Going to the range tomorrow to try it out.

IMAG0987.jpg

Got to the range today...still hotter than smoke outside, but I shot a box of Hornady Critical Defense 185 grain, some Winchester 255 grain and some 410 in #4, #6 and #9 birdshot.

First the great...this gun is super fun to shoot. 22mag-like recoil with 45LC and 410. I only had access to the 25 yard range, but the Circuit Judge shot touching 3 shot groups consistently at that range. I didn't bother to sight in the scope, as I had low rings, and I want high rings to use the iron sights for the shotgun.

Put up some gopher targets, and out to 20 yards got adequate patterns for rabbits, squirrels, doves and grouse.

The gas deflectors perform admirably...felt zero hot gas discharge from the cylinder gap.

This is going to be a great trail, camping, hiking gun.

The bad. If I was buying this gun again, I'd get the full sized buttstock...and, having to change out chokes between shot shells and buckshot, slugs and 45LC cartridges does limit its immediate versatility.

Aside from that, I'm very happy with this little gun. Going to take it to the patterning range (I'll say tomorrow, but we know how that works out) and squirrel hunting soon and see how it does.

this gun is about as far from "perfect" as you can get and as I said, it's no better than a $100 410 single shot. What you "gain" in a fast second shot, you lose by not having a choked barrel (ie, another 20 ft or so of effective range with birdshot. For $800, you're out of your MIND, man.

this gun is about as far from "perfect" as you can get and as I said, it's no better than a $100 410 single shot. What you "gain" in a fast second shot, you lose by not having a choked barrel (ie, another 20 ft or so of effective range with birdshot. For $800, you're out of your MIND, man.

Dude...you've shown a remarkable lack of intelligence when it comes to firearms. You sure you want to continue deriding those of us that have a clue?

If this is what you think then I suggest you don't buy one. But if someone spends their money (not yours) and enjoys the gun, your opinions are worthless.

I'll tell you what. You show me another rifle that weighs 3 pounds, accurately fires five shots as fast as you can pull the trigger (for security, not hunting), can be used to successfully, legally and ethically hunt any animal in Missouri including waterfowl and upland game birds (well, we have elk now, but you can't hunt them), uses light weight ammunition, and does it all for less than $325.

I can't thing of a better single firearm for an extended camping, hiking or canoeing trip...and that is what I bought this gun for.

Forum List

Back