Rooting My Phone?

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Debating rooting my five year old Droid Ultra (Android 4.4.4). Looks easy but wondering about the pros and cons.
I've read some of them but since I really don't use it that much and understand it even less not sure if it's a good idea for me.

Seems like I read somewhere once, don't remember the brand...prolly Apple...where they can detect a rooted phone...

Rooting is pretty basic nowadays. Back when android was In the early stages it was more complexed . I've rooted all the phone's I've ever owned. But I always go back to my stock set up. You can do more with a rooted phone. Check out some of the Droid forums lots of good info on the subject.

If you're not sure if you want to do it that's probably a good reason not to, though I agree with Intolerant's comments. I rooted my Windows phone on 6.5, it was a great learning experience.

If you're not sure if you want to do it that's probably a good reason not to, though I agree with Intolerant's comments. I rooted my Windows phone on 6.5, it was a great learning experience.
The only reason I was really considering it was to be able to easily block the ads that a couple of my favorite apps have started showing. Realize though that I primarily use it to make calls, text (on rare occasions), use the map to find places and use it as a tether for my Lenovo Yoga 2 when we're on the road. My phone spends more time plugged in getting charged up than in use........ by a lot......

Well if I could live with bricking it if I blew the rooting process, I'd root it to stop ads, I hate ads.

Well if I could live with bricking it if I blew the rooting process, I'd root it to stop ads, I hate ads.
From what I've been reading it's near impossible to brick a phone nowadays unless you're loading an OS or a ROM and your phone dies during the process.

Debating rooting my five year old Droid Ultra (Android 4.4.4). Looks easy but wondering about the pros and cons.
I've read some of them but since I really don't use it that much and understand it even less not sure if it's a good idea for me.
Cons:
- Possible that your phone breaks during rooting
- Possible security concerns due to elevated user rights (Windows like)
- If you delete wrong files, your phone is broken
- Warranty may be void

Pros:
- Elevated user rights, full control of your phone (like Windows)
- No write limitations on any memory
- No app limitations (You can use a true firewall for example)
- You can easily move apps to SD-Card

Forum List

Back