Room Tax.

trobinett

Oct 25, 2004
Arkansas, The Ozarks
We've had a bit of controversy going on around these parts for a bit now. Revolves around a tax, imagine that.

Couple of years back, the city fathers were approached by the folks charged with promoting the city, with the idea of implementing a tax on motel, and hotel rooms.

They asked for and received a 1.5% tax, thats added on to the room rate.

This was loudly apposed by the area's motel's, and hotel's, but to no avail.

At first, some of the hotels/motels didn't collect or pay the tax, but were forced to under penalty of law.

Now, two years later, their asking for ANOTHER 1.5%.

Their like a dog that has tasted red meat, they only want more, more, and more, until the carcass is stripped clean.

The Hotels/Motels are planning a big fight over this increase, and I plan on jumping in on their side.

Right now, about 130K is being generated for promotion, and quick frankly, no one can see what these idiots are doing with THAT money. Don't see how ANOTHER 130K is going to help anyone but THEM.

Couple of the Hotels owners are Arab, I was going to suggest, that they fly a plane into city hall.:eusa_whistle:

Comments?

Come on people, I'm shocked, I'd really appreciate your feed back on this very important issue.

It WILL be coming to a theatre near you, soon.:eusa_whistle:

I'm not sure exactly where you live, but you ought to point out to the powers that be that higher hotel taxes work to discourage tourism.

We had a similar issue like this a few years ago, the funds were to be collected over several years to finace a convention center. The initiative was shot down in flames.

Forum List

Back