Ronnie says Negro! No one cares!

The NEGRO wishes he were white hence his distaste at being refered to as a NEGRO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFAXnCFk5IE

How do you spell hypocrite? R e p u b l i c a n
In answer to this question from a young Black American female:
“For the past fou..for past years the educational opportunities for blacks and other minorities has not been.... there hasn’t been a great deal of them and I want to know during this term in office what have you done to improve educational those opportunities for us?”

Reagan: “Well, we have vastly increased the amount of federal money that has gone into education, although remember that education is...has always been ...the province of the states and the local communities, so the share of costs for the federal government is not as great for the federal government but we have increased it. We have increased the money available scholarships, and for workfare programs for students who have to work their way through .... as I did ... and uh, uh, and also for loan funds the students find; we have, I can assure you that with regards to any hint of discrimination that we have done more than any generation...uh or administration I should say, to uh, to punish those who attempt to discriminate and to make sure the opportunities are equal for all. And one of the great things that our administration did when we came in here was immediately turn on to helping, something that I think is historically wonderful in our country, and that is Negro private colleges and universities”

For people of Reagan's historical age who grew up before the 60's Negro was a neutral and respectful term used to describe people of black skin. His sin, apparently, was that he wasn't in vogue with the latest preferred term of use and did the best he could to remain neutral and respectful

What is the appropriate term to use when referencing one of color's race?

How about asking that person what they prefer?

The NEGRO wishes he were white hence his distaste at being refered to as a NEGRO.

Negro, pronounced neh-gro, is the Spanish/Portuguese word for the color black. Since many of the original European traders were of that group, that is where it came from.

As for "wishes," humans generally "wish" to be whatever is most to their benefit, economically, socially, and so on.....

Which is quite normal....

Like so many women torture their hair to be "blonde."

He BASED his endorsement on SKIN TONE???

Provide a link or retract, please.

Retract my ass...he was explaining WHY he beleived his enodrsement was a good one.

Nice try.

Did he SAY THAT, NO, what he said was that Obama was potentially electable, because... "etc", which means that a certain percentage of WHITE VOTERS could be counted on to find him "acceptable" because he did not fit a particular STEREOTYPE that many WHITES take as "written in stone fact" regarding Black people! Since it only takes a small percentage of people to turn an election, sometimes, that bunch had to be taken into consideration!

What Lott said, on various occasions, was that his family were segregationists, they liked it that way, and they would have liked things better in the US if a segregationist president had been running things and had kept it segregated!

The statement that got Lott run out of office NEVER said what you just wrote. He said we wouldn't have the problems we were facing at the time...now, if you interpret "problems" as blacks...then the racia blame is on the interpreter....

Reid, on the other had DIRECTLY addressed the race of Obama and the quality of it, in order to solidify his endorsement of the man as candidate fo POTUS. It's blatant racism at to the core and the dems know it and are willing to ignore it to save face.

Negro, pronounced neh-gro, is the Spanish/Portuguese word for the color black. Since many of the original European traders were of that group, that is where it came from.

As for "wishes," humans generally "wish" to be whatever is most to their benefit, economically, socially, and so on.....

Which is quite normal....

Like so many women torture their hair to be "blonde."

what the...?

But perhaps its time for the old white men to stop telling black people what they should be offended by.

Ya think?

Well, actually, this comment by Reid was not an attack towrd the African American population. It was an attack on the thinking of the white electorate.

You're right, in a way. I think he meant it more as a comment on rather than an "attack," but it was definitely more towards the public than President Obama.

Ya think?

Well, actually, this comment by Reid was not an attack towrd the African American population. It was an attack on the thinking of the white electorate.

You're right, in a way. I think he meant it more as a comment on rather than an "attack," but it was definitely more towards the public than President Obama.

It was 100% toward the public.
He did not say "being lighter skinned will make him a better president"

He said, and I am paraphrasing for effect:

'the lighter his skin the more likely a white person would consider him a viable candidate worthy of his or her vote"

I found that to be very offensive. I voted for Obama becuase I believed he was the best choice. But during the primaries, I was leaning toward Clinton. And many asked me if it were becuase I would not vote for a black man. I find the whole thing offensive.

'the lighter his skin the more likely a white person would consider him a viable candidate worthy of his or her vote"

I found that to be very offensive. I voted for Obama becuase I believed he was the best choice. But during the primaries, I was leaning toward Clinton. And many asked me if it were becuase I would not vote for a black man. I find the whole thing offensive.

and what you just described is EXACTLY why i take such offense to his comments.

Negro is an acceptable description for a dark skinned person with African ancestry. United Negro College fund has no problem with the word "negro", why should you?

What Reid said was in fact racist, he implied that dark-skinned negroes with a "negro dialect" would not be as viable as a candidate than a negro with light skin and no negro dialect.

No. What Reid said was outdated and out of fashion. But the content was an assessment that EVERYONE was making about whether a black man could be president... and if so, what type of black man. That isn't racist. It's realistic. I don't know anyone in the political world who wasn't making that determination before jumping into the race and deciding who they were going to support. It was also said in the context of Reid giving his full support to Obama... which he has continued to do. So why should Obama not give some slack to someone who did that for him?

But perhaps its time for the old white men to stop telling black people what they should be offended by.

Maybe its just that when your frends screw up, you shrug your shoulders. But when someone who worked against you at every turn screws up, you don't.

Of course your going to say that. You have to. Did you give Rush the same benefit? Or Trent Lott or even Don Imus? Of course you didn't.

What people dont realize is that Obama, Sharpton and the NAACP all made it a black thing and said it was not offensive so lets all move on.
Well, they were right. It was not offensive to the african americans.
It was offensive to white americans as our majority leader implied we do not see past color.
Where was Reids apology to the people he was knocking; the white people?

What people dont realize is that Obama, Sharpton and the NAACP all made it a black thing and said it was not offensive so lets all move on.
Well, they were right. It was not offensive to the african americans.
It was offensive to white americans as our majority leader implied we do not see past color.
Where was Reids apology to the people he was knocking; the white people?

i really thought I was the lone offended white man...for real.

At least I know it wasn't just me who saw the true ignorance in reid's comment.

Well written and well said.
Personally, I dont get what is wrong with our media. Fox news and CNN included. They reported on this as something that may stir up the black population.
Likewise, are Obama and Reid so naive they actually saw this as a possible insult to black americans and not white americans? And therefore Obama believed an apology to HIM was all that was necessary?

Everyday I become more and more disenchanted with our POTUS. He seems to be very disconnected with the people.

Ya think?

wow...impressive spin...

If that were true, then why did he apologize to Obama?

That is exactly what I would like to know.
Should Obama have been insulted becuase reid sees his skin as a lighter tone or should the people that use that lighter skin tone to make a decision (per Reid) the ones that should be insulted?

Forum List

Back