Ronnie says Negro! No one cares!

SO did Rush Limbaugh regarding Donovan McNabb....he siad what many believed to be true...an accurate observation if you will. What did that get him?

Sorry....but if the senate majority leader has the right to say things that he believes to be an accurate observation, then so do those that empoloy him....the American People.

Anyone who watched the last two Eagles games would have to conclude that Rush was right about Donovan being overrated too. He sucks ass when there's something on the line.

And rush was blasted years later on this board for making an accurate ibservation by the same people who are giving Reid a pass for makling an accurate observation.

Yup, business as usual for the hypocrites.

And if someone in the McCain camp had said this...an accurate observation.....how do you believe it would have been treaqted by the media and by the Obama camp?

For example...Biden referred to Obama as "clean and articulate" during the primaries...did not mention the word Negro, did not mention his skin color, diod not mention anything about race....and yet he was blasted by the media and the Obama camp let them do it witrhout putting out a statement.

I wonder what would have happened if Palin had made the accurate observation that Obama is a light skin man who does not have a Negro inflection in his speech.

Anyone who says it would have been ignored by the media and by the Obama camp is full of crap.

Probably would have been media fodder and 24 hour cable catnip. Just like this is. Just like the Biden comment.

The Biden comment got a ton of media airplay and attention even though it's even more obviously not racist and supportive.

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy," Biden said. "I mean, that's a storybook, man."

People with a poltical agenda intentionally misconstrued "clean" as though Biden meant "colored folk don't wash" rather than the common political meaning it has, without a lot of skeletons in the closet. The previous two articulate and bright African-American candidates, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, had dirt on them that could be and was used against them in their runs for office. And articulate is not in opposition to "talks like a fucking idiot," but an aknowledgement of what everyone recognized, that Obama was greatly aided in his political career by being so especially great at giving speeches, many would argue the best orator since Lincoln.

But the media ate that shit up too. They didn't ignore it. They don't ignore Reid's comment. They don't ignore anything as long as it's insignificant enough to require no research or study and can be looped 48 times a day for a couple days in a row. I'm not responsible for that though nor do I much care, I only know how I honestly assess what people say.

What I have a problem with is the jump to equate Reid's comment with Trent Lott's, a case of actual blatant racism coming out in support of segregation and subjugation of black Americans, which is completely dishonest and disingenuous.

Last edited:
Curious...when did Ronnie imply that the darker your skin, the less viable candidate you would be for President of the United States?

You all are wrapped up in the word Negro which is not a derogatory term; just one that has been deemed as politically incorrect. Commenting on the shade of one's skin color and how one is viewed by the electorate regarding ones skin tone is a whole different story.

This whole thing was not a jab at the African American population...it was a jab at the white population....in essence saying that the color of ones skin DOES dictate how white people vote.

But please...continue with the word Negro....ignore the real issue.

I say again.... Reid made an accurate observation. Go look at pictures of black politicians who have won races in districts and/or states with a majority white population and then compare their skin color to a resident of zimbabwe

SO did Rush Limbaugh regarding Donovan McNabb....he siad what many believed to be true...an accurate observation if you will. What did that get him?

Sorry....but if the senate majority leader has the right to say things that he believes to be an accurate observation, then so do those that empoloy him....the American People.

of COURSE they do...but when they disingenuously try to compare Lott's statement to Reid's, they will get called on it.

And last I knew, the American people didn't elect Harry Reid... the citizens of Nevada did. If THEY want to initiate a recall petition because of this, let 'em.

Becuase he rationalized his suppoort based on the tone of his skin color.

So Reid would not have endorsed a darker skinned man?

That is not racist to you?

If you read my other posts on this subject, there were political operatives who said Obama wasn't "black enough" to win the black vote.

That isn't racist. It's normal poilitical assessment.

Or are you so naive that you thought it was a slam dunk that a black guy could be elected president?

If white people voted based on skin tone, they are racists. Whether it is true or not is irrelevant....if they voted based on skin tone, they are racist. That simple.

Reid based his endorsement on Obama's skin tone. Whether other whites would do the same, although undoubtedly true, they are racists.That makes him racist.

So just becuase it is an accurate observation by Reid.....does not mean he can follow such a lead without being called a racist.

If I told you I did not vote for Obama becuase his skin tone was not light enough to give me a comfort zone, would you deem me as a racist or as someone who is simply acting out the truth?

What are you missing here?

He BASED his endorsement on SKIN TONE???

Provide a link or retract, please.

I say again.... Reid made an accurate observation. Go look at pictures of black politicians who have won races in districts and/or states with a majority white population and then compare their skin color to a resident of zimbabwe

of COURSE they do...but when they disingenuously try to compare Lott's statement to Reid's, they will get called on it.

And last I knew, the American people didn't elect Harry Reid... the citizens of Nevada did. If THEY want to initiate a recall petition because of this, let 'em.

When you become the senate majority leader, you are more than just a senator from Nevada.

But of course, you do not see it that way.

Anyone with knowledge of how our government works sees Reid as more than a senator and Pelosi, third in line to the WH as more than a Congressperson.

Except you.

If you read my other posts on this subject, there were political operatives who said Obama wasn't "black enough" to win the black vote.

That isn't racist. It's normal poilitical assessment.

Or are you so naive that you thought it was a slam dunk that a black guy could be elected president?

If white people voted based on skin tone, they are racists. Whether it is true or not is irrelevant....if they voted based on skin tone, they are racist. That simple.

Reid based his endorsement on Obama's skin tone. Whether other whites would do the same, although undoubtedly true, they are racists.That makes him racist.

So just becuase it is an accurate observation by Reid.....does not mean he can follow such a lead without being called a racist.

If I told you I did not vote for Obama becuase his skin tone was not light enough to give me a comfort zone, would you deem me as a racist or as someone who is simply acting out the truth?

Retract my ass...he was explaining WHY he beleived his enodrsement was a good one.

Nice try.

Yes. But that is different from making the assessment as to whether Obama would be an acceptable candidate.

Do you think that Palin would have been McCain's pick had she looked like Helen Thomas? That's a realistic assessment, too. Is it sexist? Or is it an acknowledgement of reality?

No. He didn't base his endorsement of Obama on his skin tone. You're intentionally distorting. Again, given the right wing whine of the week, do you really think realism was the same as Lott saying the world would have been a better place had a segregationist been president. Now.. had Lott had a stellar racial record, perhaps no one would have paid much attention. But his record on racial issues sucked.

If I told you I did not vote for Obama becuase his skin tone was not light enough to give me a comfort zone, would you deem me as a dacist or as someone who is simply acting out the truth?

You know, there are light skin/dark skin issues even among the black community. I heard a really brilliant woman, a professor from Princeton, speaking about it yesterday. What she said was that this would have been a perfect opportunity to acknowledge these issues exist and talk about them and see how that type of societal reality can be changed.

But no... it's rightwingnutcity. *shrug*

And I'm missing nothing; it's what YOU are missing. But that's ok.

Yes. But that is different from making the assessment as to whether Obama would be an acceptable candidate.

Do you think that Palin would have been McCain's pick had she looked like Helen Thomas? That's a realistic assessment, too. Is it sexist? Or is it an acknowledgement of reality?

No. He didn't base his endorsement of Obama on his skin tone. You're intentionally distorting. Again, given the right wing whine of the week, do you really think realism was the same as Lott saying the world would have been a better place had a segregationist been president. Now.. had Lott had a stellar racial record, perhaps no one would have paid much attention. But his record on racial issues sucked.

If I told you I did not vote for Obama becuase his skin tone was not light enough to give me a comfort zone, would you deem me as a dacist or as someone who is simply acting out the truth?

You know, there are light skin/dark skin issues even among the black community. I heard a really brilliant woman, a professor from Princeton, speaking about it yesterday. What she said was that this would have been a perfect opportunity to acknowledge these issues exist and talk about them and see how that type of societal reality can be changed.

But no... it's rightwingnutcity. *shrug*

And I'm missing nothing; it's what YOU are missing. But that's ok.

And yet you completely ignore the most accurate of comparisons......Rush Limbaughs comments about Donovan McNabb that was blasted by the same morons that are gioving Reid a pass for making an accurate observation.

I wonder why you refuse to comment on that?

Curious......please tell me exactly WHAT stellar record Reid has as it pertains to the African American community.

I love how you all are saying that...regurgitating left crap you read on blogs.

And yet you completely ignore the most accurate of comparisons......Rush Limbaughs comments about Donovan McNabb that was blasted by the same morons that are gioving Reid a pass for making an accurate observation.

Curious......please tell me exactly WHAT stellar record Reid has as it pertains to the African American community.

Where did your post that I just responded to mention anything about Rush Limbaugh and Donovan McNabb? And if you can't see the difference, I can't help you anyway. But hint: Rush was insulting McNabb based on his color. Not helping him despite it.

I don't read blogs. Nice try though. But that does show you had no response. I undestand.

Have a good day. Work calls.

Last edited:

Where did your post that I just responded to mention anything about Rush Limbaugh and Donovan McNabb?

Again, probably because Rush comes off as a racist in general... so he's not given a pass. I'd defy you to reference even one occasion he did or said anything that didn't outright oppose the black community.

I don't read blogs. Nice try though. But that does show you had no response. I undestand.

Have a good day. Work calls.

Sure.....typical....spew crap like (paraphrased) Rush is a proven racist...and then leave it up to me to find something he said that was not racist...which is heard EVEYDAY on his radio show. Anything even remotely spun to be racist would be all over the media....but I do not see it....EVER......all I ever heard him criticized for as it pertains to race was his donovan macnabb comment.....of how many years ago?

And then of course you run like a child after saying it.

Anything even remotely spun to be racist would be all over the media....but I do not see it....EVER......all I ever heard him criticized for as it pertains to race was his donovan macnabb comment.....of how many years ago?

Rush Limbaugh said:
“Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?”

Rush Limbaugh said:
“Look, let me put it to you this way: the NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons. There, I said it.”

Rush Limbaugh said:
“The NAACP should have riot rehearsal. They should get a liquor store and practice robberies.”

Rush Limbaugh said:
[To an African American female caller]: “Take that bone out of your nose and call me back.”

Rush Limbaugh said:
"Obama's entire economic program is reparations"

The last one not so much racist as just a ridiculous lie based around stirring up racial animosity. There are other widely-cited comments he's never disputed (and he has disputed others appearing on the same lists) like "They're twelve percent of the population. Who the hell cares?" but there are just the ones for which video or audio evidence has been captured or appearing in writing.

Ravi,

Reagan did say Negro but the difference is that he didnt know what he was saying. The man was dead behind the eyes.

The reaction of the republican party to the tragedy of Katrina is all you need to know the party is racist.

Then there is all that vote stealing they do to keep Americans from voting.

Now maybe that explains why people who support racism (republican party) are not believed when they try to "explain away" their comments as unintended.

It is very easy to accept that Reid ment no harm and used antiquated language (hes 70 years old) to say that he was glad that a black man was able to be elected in his country and that he didnt incite the racist as badly as a Darker skinned man who had a inner city accent.

He was unsulting you racists not Obama.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFAXnCFk5IE

How do you spell hypocrite? R e p u b l i c a n
In answer to this question from a young Black American female:
“For the past fou..for past years the educational opportunities for blacks and other minorities has not been.... there hasn’t been a great deal of them and I want to know during this term in office what have you done to improve educational those opportunities for us?”

Reagan: “Well, we have vastly increased the amount of federal money that has gone into education, although remember that education is...has always been ...the province of the states and the local communities, so the share of costs for the federal government is not as great for the federal government but we have increased it. We have increased the money available scholarships, and for workfare programs for students who have to work their way through .... as I did ... and uh, uh, and also for loan funds the students find; we have, I can assure you that with regards to any hint of discrimination that we have done more than any generation...uh or administration I should say, to uh, to punish those who attempt to discriminate and to make sure the opportunities are equal for all. And one of the great things that our administration did when we came in here was immediately turn on to helping, something that I think is historically wonderful in our country, and that is Negro private colleges and universities”

For people of Reagan's historical age who grew up before the 60's Negro was a neutral and respectful term used to describe people of black skin. His sin, apparently, was that he wasn't in vogue with the latest preferred term of use and did the best he could to remain neutral and respectful

Negro is an acceptable description for a dark skinned person with African ancestry. United Negro College fund has no problem with the word "negro", why should you?

What Reid said was in fact racist, he implied that dark-skinned negroes with a "negro dialect" would not be as viable as a candidate than a negro with light skin and no negro dialect.

And in a Country with now around 10% of the people being "African-American," it is NOT like they ALONE can field and elect a candidate, it is what white voters think, and decide that matters. So, it would kinda follow that their preferences, and PREJUDICES would rule and the truth of the matter is that the STANDARD in this country is what they decide is the standard.

BLONDES with straight hair are the BEAUTY standard, for women, in spite of the fact that they are a distinct minority, oh so many are "bottled," but it does not change the reality! Miss America: 27 winners have been blonde, 12 were brown-haired, 9 were black-haired, and 3 were red-haired. Seven are African-American out of 80 years...

EYDGreen.jpg
2004 Ericka Dunlap (FL)

00_ERIKA_SMILES_offiical_sm.JPG
2003 Erika Harold (IL)

kim_large.png
1994 Kimberly Aiken (SC)

138_Marjorie_J._Vincent.JPG
1991 Marjorie Vincent (IL)

DTB09.jpg
1990 Debbye Turner (MO)

245958.jpg
1984(B) Suzette Charles (NJ),

092607_williams83_240x320.jpg
1984 Vanessa Williams (NY)

and Vincent, of Haitian heritage, is the closest to actually having African features and there were few pictures, and she has very little mention on the web, so there is your "beauty standard" and it is mostly very light-skinned, and guaranteed, none speak in "dialect" at least in public..... And none look like Alek Wek, who is stunning, and looks African!

Black and beautiful: African-American women haven't had an easy time in the fashion world

Here is Senator Edward Brook with an African featured woman:

brooke-tanya.jpg

And Secretary of State Colin Powell:

490.jpg

And then there is PRESIDENT OBAMA with a White guy:

president-obama-and-pm-netanyahu-meet.jpg

and then with First Lady Michelle:

barack_and_michelle_obama2.jpg

and she is not as dark as the young man on the right of the photo, so the what is what on what WHITE people find either attractive or electable is right out there.....

HARRY REID, althought inadvertantly, certainly told the truth!

Last edited:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFAXnCFk5IE

How do you spell hypocrite? R e p u b l i c a n
In answer to this question from a young Black American female:
“For the past fou..for past years the educational opportunities for blacks and other minorities has not been.... there hasn’t been a great deal of them and I want to know during this term in office what have you done to improve educational those opportunities for us?”

Reagan: “Well, we have vastly increased the amount of federal money that has gone into education, although remember that education is...has always been ...the province of the states and the local communities, so the share of costs for the federal government is not as great for the federal government but we have increased it. We have increased the money available scholarships, and for workfare programs for students who have to work their way through .... as I did ... and uh, uh, and also for loan funds the students find; we have, I can assure you that with regards to any hint of discrimination that we have done more than any generation...uh or administration I should say, to uh, to punish those who attempt to discriminate and to make sure the opportunities are equal for all. And one of the great things that our administration did when we came in here was immediately turn on to helping, something that I think is historically wonderful in our country, and that is Negro private colleges and universities”

For people of Reagan's historical age who grew up before the 60's Negro was a neutral and respectful term used to describe people of black skin. His sin, apparently, was that he wasn't in vogue with the latest preferred term of use and did the best he could to remain neutral and respectful

What is ther appropriate term to use when referencing one of color's race?

What is ther appropriate term to use when referencing one of color's race?

Person of color is now the most neutral and probably least offensive nomenclature, which has replaced the proper word "Negro" which is now offensive because it sounds too much like the forbidden word which incites a heightened sensitivity.

The word Negro has a long history. It comes from the ancient Latin word nigror (pronounced neeg-ror; stem word being pronounced 'neeg-ro') an adjective meaning "having a quality of 'blackness' " in color, and was used then and subsequently to describe people of color tending towards blackness.

If black people can forgive Harry Reid - and one supposes that Obama speaks for the majority of black people - then what does it matter? On the other hand, Trent Lott should've known better than to say what he said, and he needed to go. He showed his numb-headedness in more ways than in what he said at Strom Thurmond's birthday party.

It's not just black people who need to forgive Harry Reid - his remarks were offensive to the whole of American people, and that's the rub going forward.

Last edited:

Retract my ass...he was explaining WHY he beleived his enodrsement was a good one.

Nice try.

Did he SAY THAT, NO, what he said was that Obama was potentially electable, because... "etc", which means that a certain percentage of WHITE VOTERS could be counted on to find him "acceptable" because he did not fit a particular STEREOTYPE that many WHITES take as "written in stone fact" regarding Black people! Since it only takes a small percentage of people to turn an election, sometimes, that bunch had to be taken into consideration!

What Lott said, on various occasions, was that his family were segregationists, they liked it that way, and they would have liked things better in the US if a segregationist president had been running things and had kept it segregated!

Forum List

Back