Ronald Reagan had Alzheimer's while president, son says

Doesn't every biographer?

Fact is that Ron Jr was there. He is entitled to publish his opinion of what he saw regarding his fathers eventual mental breakdown. His brother Michael is just as biased as he attempts to live off of his fathers conservative legacy.

History needs all these bits of information as it attempts to record the Reagan legacy. There is nothing to be ashamed of here. Reagan is evaluated on what he did while he was president. Nobody is circling the wagons to protect Wilson, FDR or JFK....it is just part of the historical record

That's one of the problems. No..He was NOT there.

Do you have proof he never saw his father in 8 years in the White House?
Once a poster has to parse a sentence, you know he's been pwn'd. He wasn't there all that much to be able to make such a book with any certainty of the facts, leftwinger.

That's one of the problems. No..He was NOT there.

Once a poster has to parse a sentence, you know he's been pwn'd. He wasn't there all that much to be able to make such a book with any certainty of the facts, leftwinger.

I haven't read his book so I can't say...

But I have seen people age through the years and noticed changes in their mental acuity over time. I'm not a doctor, may not have seen them every day....but still am able to observe they don't have the mental function they used to have

Ron Jr is entitled to print his observations. You or any of the conservatives do not have to believe him

But I have seen people age through the years and noticed changes in their mental acuity over time. I'm not a doctor, may not have seen them every day....but still am able to observe they don't have the mental function they used to have

Ron Jr is entitled to print his observations. You or any of the conservatives do not have to believe him

Most critical thinking people wouldn't believe him. He could make observations...yes, but to diagnose...no.

Most critical thinking people wouldn't believe him. He could make observations...yes, but to diagnose...no.

Can he make a diagnosis that RR had alzheimers at that time? Probably not

Could he make an observation that he was slipping mentally? Probably

Could a connection be made from his early evidence of mental losses to his subsequent alzheimers? Possibly

Ron Reagan should read this.

The Alzheimers Prayer Author Unknown
Please grant my visitors tolerance for my confusion,
Forgiveness for my irrationality and the strength
To walk with me into the mist of memory
My world has become.

Please let them take my hand and stay awhile,
Even though I seem unaware of their presence.

Help them to know how their strength
And loving care will drift slowly
Into the days to come just when I need it most.

Let them know when I don't recognize them
That I will. . . I will.
Keep their hearts free from sorrow for me,
For my sorrow, when it comes,
Only lasts a moment, then it's gone.

And finally, please let them know,
How very much their visits mean,
How even through this relentless mystery,
I can still feel their love.

My world has become.

That I will. . . I will.

:(:( :clap2:

Its been 23 years since Reagan left office. There is no reason we need to "protect his legacy" as we attempt to elevate him to sainthood. Other presidents such as Wilson, FDR and JFK have had their medical infirmities leaked to the public after they left office. It did not affect their legacy.

Why is Reagan exempt? Why the vicious attacks on the messenger?
You do realize, don't you, that Ron is not a dispassionate observer?

He's got a book to sell.

Doesn't every biographer?

Fact is that Ron Jr was there. He is entitled to publish his opinion of what he saw regarding his fathers eventual mental breakdown. His brother Michael is just as biased as he attempts to live off of his fathers conservative legacy.

History needs all these bits of information as it attempts to record the Reagan legacy. There is nothing to be ashamed of here. Reagan is evaluated on what he did while he was president. Nobody is circling the wagons to protect Wilson, FDR or JFK....it is just part of the historical record
It looks like Luissa's knowledge of the progression of the disease disproves Ron's claims.

My world has become.

That I will. . . I will.

Dang. Got something in my eye...

Ronald Reagan had Alzheimer's while president, says son | World news | The Guardian

Ronald Reagan's sons have locked horns over the former president's political legacy after the younger brother, Ron, said his late father's battle with Alzheimer's began while he was in the White House.

The spat opens up a subject that has long been a talking point – when did the 40th president begin to become mentally impaired by the disease. He was formally diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 1994, five years after he left office. Reagan died 10 years later at 93.
<more>

You're correct. My Mom died of dementia brought on by Alzheimer's. They signs were there but more often than not, it is just chalked up to getting older. It usually takes an event that makes you realize it is more than just forgetfulness.

My mom died of dementia / Alzheimeer's too. You are correct, the signs were there way before they became manifest.

You're correct. My Mom died of dementia brought on by Alzheimer's. They signs were there but more often than not, it is just chalked up to getting older. It usually takes an event that makes you realize it is more than just forgetfulness.

My mom died of dementia / Alzheimeer's too. You are correct, the signs were there way before they became manifest.

True, but how long did your mom live with the disease?

Ronald Reagan had Alzheimer's while president, says son | World news | The Guardian

Ronald Reagan's sons have locked horns over the former president's political legacy after the younger brother, Ron, said his late father's battle with Alzheimer's began while he was in the White House.

The spat opens up a subject that has long been a talking point – when did the 40th president begin to become mentally impaired by the disease. He was formally diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 1994, five years after he left office. Reagan died 10 years later at 93.
<more>

I didn't realize that Ron Reagan Jr. was a physician.

It's equally egregious that that cad, Mikey, said he was an "embarrassment to his father".

Both of those dudes need a real job and to stop trying to cash in on the family name.

Though, of the two, Ron Jr. strikes me as more sincere.

Anyone who knows anything about this disease knows it starts way before it is noticed as debilitating. Kinda scary in a President!

During an Oval Office visit with her family as she was ending her time as a White House correspondent in 1986, Stahl wrote that "Reagan didn't seem to know who I was. He gave me a distant look with those milky eyes and shook my hand weakly. Oh, my, he's gonzo, I thought. I have to go out on the lawn tonight and tell my countrymen that the president of the United States is a doddering space cadet."
As their meeting wore on, Reagan became more animated and aware, Stahl wrote, which is one of the reasons she decided not to report on his apparent condition

It was common knowledge at the time that Reagan was slipping. The same was known about FDR and Wilson. It is part of Reagans legacy and should be recorded

During an Oval Office visit with her family as she was ending her time as a White House correspondent in 1986, Stahl wrote that "Reagan didn't seem to know who I was. He gave me a distant look with those milky eyes and shook my hand weakly. Oh, my, he's gonzo, I thought. I have to go out on the lawn tonight and tell my countrymen that the president of the United States is a doddering space cadet."
As their meeting wore on, Reagan became more animated and aware, Stahl wrote, which is one of the reasons she decided not to report on his apparent condition

It was common knowledge at the time that Reagan was slipping. The same was known about FDR and Wilson. It is part of Reagans legacy and should be recorded

WOW!....And here I thought it already was.....before Ron's book.

If he was already starting to slip while President he would not have made it until 2004. ;)

Forum List

Back