Ron Reagan & stem cell research

gop_jeff said:
Much like Zell Miller is the latest left wing pinata?

And Ed Koch and in many way, Joseph Lieberman. Hell, we could go on and on and on.

As for Ron Jr...... frankly, I didn't know that much about him. He never has been very political, so I don't how anybody can claim that he was either liked or disliked by the GOP establishment. I know daughter Patty has been a controversy many time. If yo listen to Michael Reagan at all, you would have known for a while now that Ron Jr. leans left.

Jihad is correct that this is a non issue in terms of the election for President IMO.

Here is a link to NIH which outlines the Federal Policy.

http://stemcells.nih.gov/policy/NIHFedPolicy.asp

Why is it felt by the left that the Feds must fund EVERYTHING? Let the private sector do this research.

If the left wants to see the Feds pay for this research and therefor utilize MY tax dollars, then put it to vote of the people! Too much "government" is given to the politicos who are typically in it for the corporations or special interests.

Ron Reagan biography:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Reagan

He joined the Joffrey Ballet in pursuit of what he said was a lifelong dream to become a ballet dancer.

:gay:

Reagan now lives in Seattle with his wife, Doria, a psychologist whom he married in 1980.

Hmm... maybe not gay but moving to Seattle is pretty gay. Hey wait, I'm in Seattle. Never mind! :)

He has worked in recent years as a magazine journalist, and has hosted talk shows on cable TV networks such as the Animal Planet network. Reagan serves on the board of the Creative Coalition, an organization founded in 1989 by a group including Susan Sarandon and Christopher Reeve to politically mobilize entertainers and artists, generally for liberal causes.

Just "generally" liberal? Hell no! If Sarandon is there, you know it's some kind of hardcore far left cause.

Reagan has always been a political liberal, although he has never considered a political career.

Yeah, except for fucking speaking at the DNC, that is. LOL!

He is also reported to be an atheist.

Burn in hell Ballerina Boy!

Asked by Larry King if he would run for a political office Reagan said... "Well, I'm an atheist for one thing.." His speech at his father's funeral in June 2004, however, suggested that he believes in an afterlife. He is known to have dissented from some of his father's policies and actions, but his views have only become widely known in recent years, when he has become more outspoken in his opposition to President George W. Bush.

No shit?!?

In an April 2003 interview, Reagan was openly critical of Bush. "The Bush people have no right to speak for my father, particularly because of the position he's in now," he said. "Yes, some of the current policies are an extension of the '80s. But the overall thrust of this administration is not my father's - these people are overly reaching, overly aggressive, overly secretive, and just plain corrupt. I don't trust these people."

Can you imagine hanging out with Susan Sarandon and not hating Bush passionately?

He also strongly opposed the Bush administration's decision to invade Iraq. "Nine-11 gave the Bush people carte blanche to carry out their extreme agenda - and they didn't hesitate for a moment to use it," Reagan said. "By 9/12 Rumsfeld was saying, 'Let's hit Iraq.' They've used the war on terror to justify everything from tax cuts to Alaska oil drilling."

Oh dear GAWD SAVE THE CARIBOU! The poor Caribou!!!

On to the salient point:

In July 2004 Reagan accepted an invitation to speak at the 2004 Democratic National Convention. He was quoted as saying that he would vote for Democratic candidate John Kerry at the November presidential election. "I'll support any viable candidate who can defeat Bush," he said. Reagan said that he had agreed to speak at the Convention because the Democrats support lifting Bush's restrictions on stem-cell research. "This gives me a platform to educate people about stem-cell research," he said.

Although Reagan has been accused of supporting stem cell therapies only because of his father's Alzheimer's disease, he denies this. In an interview with MSNBC's Chris Matthews, he said: "Alzheimer’s is a disease, ironically, that probably won't be amenable to treatment through stem cell therapies."

Let's put it this way... the man is a hard core Liberal.

He is by default against the Iraq war, of course. And by default will support gay marriage, abortion, higher taxes, national health care, gun control, and of course stem cell research, among the rest of the list.

This is the standard series in the liberal handbook. Just another true believer with a set of basic positions we can automaticially assume beforehand. No surprise at all.

Did I mention I also back stem cell research? I don't fault him for this position, just his unoriginality.

DKSuddeth said:
curious question, but has ron jr. always been this despised by the conservative clan or is this just a recent wave of dislike for him since he's developed some liberal tendencies?

I can't speak for everybody, but Ron Jr. has had liberal tendencies for years, he just hasn't been particularly public about it. My only problem with him is the way he's gone about a couple of things, such as the subtle jab he took at President Bush while eulogizing his father. He has a right to give his opinion, I just don't think his fathers funeral was the appropriate time or place.

I was a little young when Reagan was in the White House, but my parents remember thinking Ron Jr. was gay after the ballet phase (perhaps he's bisexual?).
But I also remember seeing an interview in the weeks following Reagan's funeral in which Ron Jr. said he never meant to jab at W when he made the remark about wearing your Christianity on your sleeve to further an agenda (I'm paraphrasing here.) I'm not sure I believe him, but then last night, he opened his speech by again insisting his speech was not political: he only wanted to inform people about stem cell research.
Again, not sure I believe him, and I'm wondering why he is bothering to annouce these caveats?
He's obviously not conservative like his father and mother, and he and his sister are obviously not concerned about the family image, so why all the pussy-footing?

clumzgirl said:
I was a little young when Reagan was in the White House, but my parents remember thinking Ron Jr. was gay after the ballet phase (perhaps he's bisexual?).
But I also remember seeing an interview in the weeks following Reagan's funeral in which Ron Jr. said he never meant to jab at W when he made the remark about wearing your Christianity on your sleeve to further an agenda (I'm paraphrasing here.) I'm not sure I believe him,

Good instincts. Why was he was chosen and why did he accept the position of speaker at the DNC, if not to support Kerry, and by default, oppose Bush?

but then last night, he opened his speech by again insisting his speech was not political: he only wanted to inform people about stem cell research.

Liberal ballerina transforms into stem cell proponent... does not compute.

Again, not sure I believe him, and I'm wondering why he is bothering to annouce these caveats?

To cover his ass.

He's obviously not conservative like his father and mother, and he and his sister are obviously not concerned about the family image, so why all the pussy-footing?

He's a dancer! :dance:

Forum List

Back