Ron Paul's amnesty with an asterisk

get_involved

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2009
"They note that 77 percent of illegal aliens are Hispanic, while less than 5 percent of illegal and 10 percent of legal immigrants are European – so the idea that we are treating Europeans specially is specious. VDARE also points to a Center for Immigration Studies report that shows immigrants are much more likely to be on welfare than native-born American citizens."

Ron Paul's amnesty with an asterisk

Tom Tancredo said:
In addition to insulting the motives of the critics of uncontrolled immigration, he argues against policies that we don't support. According to Paul, immigration-control advocates want to "use the U.S. Army, round them up, ship them home." In my decades fighting this battle, I have not once heard anyone advocate using the military for deportations.

He obviously doesn't visit this board.

If we got rid of birthright citizenship, which Paul says he supports, that would not be an issue to begin with. [...] According to Paul, deporting such people would be "incompatible with human rights." That is an off argument for any true libertarian to make, since the protection of true human rights begins with the U.S. Constitution and our ability to enforce the rule of law.

Hey, that's a great idea! If you changed the Constitution, you could improve your ability to enforce the Constitution. I know Tom here is all about protecting and enforcing the US Constitution, he wants to change the parts he doesn't like, specifically:

the 14th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America said:
Section 1
All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

And then wham! he goes on defending SB1070, despite that it is entirely unconstitutional. Great Follower of the Constitution!!

Tom Tancredo said:
Paul comes out against Arizona's popular SB 1070 law using absurd arguments of the type normally heard only from America-hating leftists: "Arizona-type immigration legislation can turn out to be harmful. Being able to stop any American citizen under the vague charge of 'suspicion' is dangerous even more so in the age of secret prisons and a stated position of assassinating American citizens if deemed a 'threat,' without charges ever being made."

I am still scratching my head trying to figure out what supposed secret prisons and political assassinations have to do with enforcing our immigration laws

Listen up Tom, let me explain it to you: It's called the slippery slope. Legislation like SB1070 and other proposed "final solutions" to the "Mexican Question" give police an extraordinary amount of power - ostensibly for use exclusively on illegal immigrants, but with the ever present possibility of encroaching on American Citizens. I thought that was what conservatives are afraid of: a state with greater power because they distrust the it, and that's exactly what this type of thing does. One would have to be naive to believe that there was no way that the State could commit abuses with this expanded power, either covertly or eventually even overtly. This slide is made all the more probable when you consider the fact that the US government is currently operating secret prisons abroad and does indeed have a policy of assassinating US citizens. That's the kind of behavior it engages in, yet you're willing to potentially slide down that slope?

yawn...conducting ourselves with peace and prosperity is such a foreign concept to Americans.

Seriously, this country sucks.

Forum List

Back