Ron Paul says tornado victims should not get aid

In many cases, the insurance is so outrageously expensive that they can't afford it.

Then they shouldn't live there. Home owner's insurance is not that expensive unless you live in an area prone to a disaster, in which case you should pay more.

Americans are incredibly generous to private charities when disasters strike. When Katrina hit millions and millions of dollars in donations poured into New Orleans and charities like the Red Cross and others, not to mention people who actually traveled down there and volunteered their time. On the other hand, FEMA went into New Orleans and interfered with the operations of many of the charitable organizations and fucked a lot of things up. Shocking, I know.

Not to mention people abused FEMA in New Orleans.. The fraud was astronomical. People were coming from all over the place to get free aid..

At least charities are smart, they ask questions and investigate weather the individual claiming to need help really does need help - they just don't handout free wads of cash unlike FEMA..

Once again, that little Libertarian Satan sitting on Ron Paul's shoulder is making him say stupid stuff

Sounds pretty logical to me, which is perhaps why you're having such a problem with it. Again, should they or should they not have home insurance to cover their losses?

I would have to see the home insurance policy. They have a way of not covering natural disasters

The key is, events like these go beyond what an individual is able to cover. Federal aid is needed to repair roads, bridges, schools and other public infrastructure

Paul once again demonstrates why we could not survive his presidency
Do you actually think the states can't rebuild roads, bridges, schools etc?

It all has to come from the Fed?

:lol:

Is the bell on the lead sheep as least shinny and well tuned?

I would have to see the home insurance policy. They have a way of not covering natural disasters

Then read your policy before you sign it. Get that extra coverage is you think it's going to be a problem.

The key is, events like these go beyond what an individual is able to cover. Federal aid is needed to repair roads, bridges, schools and other public infrastructure

Why are federal funds required? The states can't pay to fix their own roads, and bridges, and schools?

Sounds pretty logical to me, which is perhaps why you're having such a problem with it. Again, should they or should they not have home insurance to cover their losses?

He's not referring to roads, bridges, schools, or other "public" infrastructure, however.

Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul, appearing on CNN's "State of the Union" Sunday, said victims of last week's severe storms and tornadoes should not receive emergency financial aid from the federal government.

What he said - and emergency aid would not supersede the insurance policy and usually is simply a low interest loan.

Isn't it interesting how Libertarians' desire for "freedom" correspond so neatly with skinflints who don't want to give ANYONE, ANYTHING.

So while libertarianism attracts people who want to be "free" it also attracts cheap assholes who don't want to pay their fair share.

Perhaps when Libertarians figure out a way to differentiate between the two, I'll vote for them.

I get what Ron Paul is saying. Thats what a Hardcore Libertarian would say.

But the rest of us are thinking about the people that do not have insurance and/or need help right now. Kind of hard to build a house over night, Mr Paul. Kind of hard to import food considering that the stores are probably wiped out too.

How does one survive until the insurance(hopefully by a respectable company) claim comes through? How does one survive when you have the funds but the people you need to buy the goods from has no address? I know, you get into your pickup and drive over to the next town--if you can find your damn pickup!!

So, when Governor Piyush Jindal was lambasting Obama and FEMA for not doing enough to help with the Gulof oil disaster, was he being a RINO? Unpatriotic? What?

Why would you call him a RINO? That infers that the Republican Party believes in limited government and that he's bucking their agenda. The GOP doesn't believe in limited government. Jindal ran to the feds like everyone else does when the going gets tough. People claim they want the government out of their lives, but the moment something bad happens to them, who do they run to?

So, you agree with Paul, that the government should have left it up to the localities to clean up their mess?

if the government was not there to help them, I guarantee you, Americans would be there to help.

We, as a collective of individual Americans donated more money to Haiti than all other countries combined. I am not referring to Government aid that was sent....individual donations from individual Americans collectively donted more than all other populations of all other countries combined.

Our government didnt make us do it. We did it becuase we wanted to.

The problem with the left is they dont think Americans care about other people, so they feel Government needs to take our money and donate it for us.

They are wrong.

Obviously Ron Paul hates tornado victims :rolleyes:

Don't want your home to become a mobile home.

Don't live in tornado alley.

Exactly, and that's always something that's boggled me as well. If you live in Kansas you know damn well that odds of a tornado striking your home are 100 times higher than if you live in Vermont. Maybe we should be building homes in Tornado Alley out of brick and stone instead of wood. Crazy thought, huh?

So, when Governor Piyush Jindal was lambasting Obama and FEMA for not doing enough to help with the Gulof oil disaster, was he being a RINO? Unpatriotic? What?

uhm

Obama kept ships away that could have helped.

he prevented citizens from helping.

that's right

obama made it worse, then gave money to future failing green companies.

Nice attempt at deflection. Now, please try to focus and actually answer the question this time, will ya?

I did.

If you don't like the answers, look them up.

It's all true. Jindahl got heated b/c actual help that was right there, was kept away.

Obama made it worse.

and fyi, you went off topic, I just went with you.

He's not referring to roads, bridges, schools, or other "public" infrastructure, however.

And infrastructure isn't built by the federal government either....

Those are all built by the state and local government via state and community taxes.

This is really a federal issue, I doubt Ron Paul would oppose the state from stepping.

I have a great idea, lets borrow from China so we can pretend to care about American's by giving them money/aid!!!!

Yay! Vote for me and you get free money!!!! yay!

Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul, appearing on CNN's "State of the Union" Sunday, said victims of last week's severe storms and tornadoes should not receive emergency financial aid from the federal government.

What he said - and emergency aid would not supersede the insurance policy and usually is simply a low interest loan.

Federal property, however, would be up to the federal government, state property to the state government, and local property to the local government. He's talking about private citizens.

But the rest of us are thinking about the people that do not have insurance and/or need help right now. Kind of hard to build a house over night, Mr Paul. Kind of hard to import food considering that the stores are probably wiped out too.

How does one survive until the insurance(hopefully by a respectable company) claim comes through? How does one survive when you have the funds but the people you need to buy the goods from has no address? I know, you get into your pickup and drive over to the next town--if you can find your damn pickup!!

I spent 9-12 through 9-14 down at the pit. I saw thousands of voolunteers helping....local harware stores giving out hardhats gloves and boots; home depot giving out the same....restaurants making thousands of sandwiches...and so on.

You may sit around and "thinkl about those people without insurance"....but most of us get off our butts and do something about it.

Sadly....even with the pit...once government got involved, the volunteers were turned away.

Isn't it interesting how Libertarians' desire for "freedom" correspond so neatly with skinflints who don't want to give ANYONE, ANYTHING.

So while libertarianism attracts people who want to be "free" it also attracts cheap assholes who don't want to pay their fair share.

Perhaps when Libertarians figure out a way to differentiate between the two, I'll vote for them.

Freedom means that you don't have to give anybody anything if you don't want to.

Obviously Ron Paul hates tornado victims :rolleyes:

Don't want your home to become a mobile home.

Don't live in tornado alley.

Exactly, and that's always something that's boggled me as well. If you live in Kansas you know damn well that odds of a tornado striking your home are 100 times higher than if you live in Vermont. Maybe we should be building homes in Tornado Alley out of brick and stone instead of wood. Crazy thought, huh?

I grew up near rivers most of my life.

My Dad told me; "If you ever buy a home near a water, find out how long ago that area got flooded and what the insurance rates that region at. If it's flooded in the last hundred years, don't live there." I can't recall the rating numbers, but he knew them.

Ron Paul is not opposed to private charity. So nice straw man.

it's called;

The Red Cross
and
Salvation Army
and
Volunteers from your neighbors.

fuck you people have a really low opinion of your fellow Americans.

Why would you call him a RINO? That infers that the Republican Party believes in limited government and that he's bucking their agenda. The GOP doesn't believe in limited government. Jindal ran to the feds like everyone else does when the going gets tough. People claim they want the government out of their lives, but the moment something bad happens to them, who do they run to?

So, you agree with Paul, that the government should have left it up to the localities to clean up their mess?

The Gulf Oil disaster was a different situation. I can see a case being made for federal assistance of the clean up being that the feds were responsible for inspecting the oil rigs and were proven to have been negligent in doing so. In that case, the federal government bared some responsibility. Furthermore, BP was also responsible and should be compensating local communities for the damages they caused.

Last edited:

I've seen more than enough charity from my fellow citizens in times of disaster in this country and around the world, to know that there is plenty of help and money to go around when it's needed.

Isn't it interesting how Libertarians' desire for "freedom" correspond so neatly with skinflints who don't want to give ANYONE, ANYTHING..

Feel free to quote one of us who said nobody wants to give anyone anything. I have a feeling we'll be waiting for your reply for quite a while.

Forum List

Back