Ron Paul on Demagogy

His seat is safe, Rand has to be much more low key running a State wide race, that is why I detest these type divisive issues that cloud national politics, a good man can lose because he might not line up just right on the gay or mosque issue when so much else needs our attention.

• Banned
His seat is safe, Rand has to be much more low key running a State wide race, that is why I detest these type divisive issues that cloud national politics, a good man can lose because he might not line up just right on the gay or mosque issue when so much else needs our attention.

That's absolutely true. Though, 'divisive issues' are better know as wedge issues, i.e. guns, gays and god. All of which have been used of late by demagogues.

That's absolutely true. Though, 'divisive issues' are better know as wedge issues, i.e. guns, gays and god. All of which have been used of late by demagogues.

Yep, I couldn't think of the word,lol.

I may not agree with Ron on many things, but I always have a vast respect for the way he sticks to his guns.

And I certainly agree with him here. No amount of fear-mongering trumps the Constitution.

That's why I also support Second amendment rights.

I may not agree with Ron on many things, but I always have a vast respect for the way he sticks to his guns.

And I certainly agree with him here. No amount of fear-mongering trumps the Constitution.

In a statement decrying "demagogy" around the issue, the former Republican presidential candidate wrote late last week that "the debate should have provided the conservative defenders of property rights with a perfect example of how the right to own property also protects the 1st Amendment rights of assembly and religion by supporting the building of the mosque."
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20014453-503544.html

---

Is this a constitutionally sound argument? Does the right to own property protect what Paul says it does? What have the courts said on this issue if anything? Does anyone have a credible defense of what Paul is saying or is this just more of the Choir following the lead?

---

Adds Paul: "It is repeatedly said that 64% of the people, after listening to the political demagogues, don't want the mosque to be built. What would we do if 75% of the people insist that no more Catholic churches be built in New York City? The point being is that majorities can become oppressors of minority rights as well as individual dictators."

Last edited:
Ron Paul Backs "Ground Zero Mosque," Splitting with Son Rand - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

What's a fringer to do? Limbaugh and Palin and Gingrich tell you what to believe, and then Ron Paul decries their demagogy.

Demagogy is an acquired taste. I prefer my demogogues use demagoguery

In a statement decrying "demagogy" around the issue, the former Republican presidential candidate wrote late last week that "the debate should have provided the conservative defenders of property rights with a perfect example of how the right to own property also protects the 1st Amendment rights of assembly and religion by supporting the building of the mosque."

A rose by any other name, is still a flower.

---

Is this a constitutionally sound argument? Does the right to own property protect what Paul says it does? What have the courts said on this issue if anything? Does anyone have a credible defense of what Paul is saying or is this just more of the Choir following the lead?

---

Adds Paul: "It is repeatedly said that 64% of the people, after listening to the political demagogues, don't want the mosque to be built. What would we do if 75% of the people insist that no more Catholic churches be built in New York City? The point being is that majorities can become oppressors of minority rights as well as individual dictators."

The issue aside, I find it very funny when the fringers on this board are confronted with controversy. What if Palin said "up", and Limbaugh said "down"?

Ron Paul Backs "Ground Zero Mosque," Splitting with Son Rand - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

What's a fringer to do? Limbaugh and Palin and Gingrich tell you what to believe, and then Ron Paul decries their demagogy.

Demagogy is an acquired taste. I prefer my demogogues use demagoguery

A rose by any other name, is still a flower.
sure.

but has anyone yet to comment on the substance of his constitutional claims while agreeing with them?

which reminds me of a sheeple truism: stupid is as stupid does.

Last edited:

---

---

The issue aside, I find it very funny when the fringers on this board are confronted with controversy. What if Palin said "up", and Limbaugh said "down"?
then you would be attacked for mentioning it and an analogy (usually a poor one) would be drawn to throw the discussion off topic.

this has happened before.

then some oddball dude would chime in and say "so what"

:eek:

ron paul taking the constitutional position? shocking!

And I so respect him for that. I love this line in his speech on this.

“We now have an epidemic of “sunshine patriots” on both the right and the left who are all for freedom, as long as there’s no controversy and nobody is offended."

Ron Paul: Left and the Right Demagogue Mosque, Islam | Business Wire

I don't actually disagree with him at all. Legally, they have an absolute right to build there. Morally, they have no right at all to do so.

The problem for many is they don't seem to understand the difference between 'legal' and 'moral'. That's why they assume we're all rabidly anti-Muslim when, in fact, most of us just have different morals.... or, rather, we still have some morals... which it appears many on the left do not.

Forum List

Back