Ron Paul from a liberal perspective.

dblack

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
This is really good read.

Matt Stoller: Why Ron Paul Challenges Liberals « naked capitalism

I found this really interesting in the way it shows how Paul operates so much differently that most in Congress.

Paul’s office was dedicated, first and foremost, to his political principles, and his work with his grassroots base reflects that. Politics and procedure simply didn’t matter to him. My main contact in Paul’s office even had his voicemail set up with special instructions for those calling about HR 1207, which was the number of the House bill to audit the Federal Reserve. But it wasn’t just the Fed audit – any competent liberal Democratic staffer in Congress can tell you that Paul will work with anyone who seeks his ends of rolling back American Empire and its reach into foreign countries, auditing the Federal Reserve, and stopping the drug war

Paul is deeply conservative, of course, and there are reasons he believes in those end goals that have nothing to do with creating a more socially just and equitable society. But then, when considering questions about Ron Paul, you have to ask yourself whether you prefer a libertarian who will tell you upfront about his opposition to civil rights statutes, or authoritarian Democratic leaders who will expand healthcare to children and then aggressively enforce a racist war on drugs and shield multi-trillion dollar transactions from public scrutiny.

This is why Ron Paul can critique the Federal Reserve and American empire, and why liberals have essentially no answer to his ideas, arguing instead over Paul having character defects. Ron Paul’s stance should be seen as a challenge to better create a coherent structural critique of the American political order. It’s quite obvious that there isn’t one coming from the left, otherwise the figure challenging the war on drugs and American empire wouldn’t be in the Republican primary as the libertarian candidate. To get there, liberals must grapple with big finance and war, two topics that are difficult to handle in any but a glib manner that separates us from our actual traditional and problematic affinity for both. War financing has a specific tradition in American culture, but there is no guarantee war financing must continue the way it has. And there’s no reason to assume that centralized power will act in a more just manner these days, that we will see continuity with the historical experience of the New Deal and Civil Rights Era. The liberal alliance with the mechanics of mass mobilizing warfare, which should be pretty obvious when seen in this light, is deep-rooted.

What we’re seeing on the left is this conflict played out, whether it is big slow centralized unions supporting problematic policies, protest movements that cannot be institutionalized in any useful structure, or a completely hollow liberal intellectual apparatus arguing for increasing the power of corporations through the Federal government to enact their agenda. Now of course, Ron Paul pandered to racists, and there is no doubt that this is a legitimate political issue in the Presidential race. But the intellectual challenge that Ron Paul presents ultimately has nothing to do with him, and everything to do with contradictions within modern liberalism.

Last edited:
This is really good read.

Matt Stoller: Why Ron Paul Challenges Liberals « naked capitalism

I found this really interesting in the way it shows how Paul operates so much differently that most in Congress.

Paul’s office was dedicated, first and foremost, to his political principles, and his work with his grassroots base reflects that. Politics and procedure simply didn’t matter to him. My main contact in Paul’s office even had his voicemail set up with special instructions for those calling about HR 1207, which was the number of the House bill to audit the Federal Reserve. But it wasn’t just the Fed audit – any competent liberal Democratic staffer in Congress can tell you that Paul will work with anyone who seeks his ends of rolling back American Empire and its reach into foreign countries, auditing the Federal Reserve, and stopping the drug war

Paul is deeply conservative, of course, and there are reasons he believes in those end goals that have nothing to do with creating a more socially just and equitable society. But then, when considering questions about Ron Paul, you have to ask yourself whether you prefer a libertarian who will tell you upfront about his opposition to civil rights statutes, or authoritarian Democratic leaders who will expand healthcare to children and then aggressively enforce a racist war on drugs and shield multi-trillion dollar transactions from public scrutiny.

This is why Ron Paul can critique the Federal Reserve and American empire, and why liberals have essentially no answer to his ideas, arguing instead over Paul having character defects. Ron Paul’s stance should be seen as a challenge to better create a coherent structural critique of the American political order. It’s quite obvious that there isn’t one coming from the left, otherwise the figure challenging the war on drugs and American empire wouldn’t be in the Republican primary as the libertarian candidate. To get there, liberals must grapple with big finance and war, two topics that are difficult to handle in any but a glib manner that separates us from our actual traditional and problematic affinity for both. War financing has a specific tradition in American culture, but there is no guarantee war financing must continue the way it has. And there’s no reason to assume that centralized power will act in a more just manner these days, that we will see continuity with the historical experience of the New Deal and Civil Rights Era. The liberal alliance with the mechanics of mass mobilizing warfare, which should be pretty obvious when seen in this light, is deep-rooted.

What we’re seeing on the left is this conflict played out, whether it is big slow centralized unions supporting problematic policies, protest movements that cannot be institutionalized in any useful structure, or a completely hollow liberal intellectual apparatus arguing for increasing the power of corporations through the Federal government to enact their agenda. Now of course, Ron Paul pandered to racists, and there is no doubt that this is a legitimate political issue in the Presidential race. But the intellectual challenge that Ron Paul presents ultimately has nothing to do with him, and everything to do with contradictions within modern liberalism.

I agree with Ron Paul on about 70% of things. I disagree with him so completely about the remaining 30% that I could never support him.

From another good essay, commenting on the previous one:

Progressives and the Ron Paul fallacies - Salon.com

Progressives would feel much better about themselves, their Party and their candidate if they only had to oppose, say, Rick Perry or Michele Bachmann. That’s because the standard GOP candidate agrees with Obama on many of these issues and is even worse on these others, so progressives can feel good about themselves for supporting Obama: his right-wing opponent is a warmonger, a servant to Wall Street, a neocon, a devotee of harsh and racist criminal justice policies, etc. etc. Paul scrambles the comfortable ideological and partisan categories and forces progressives to confront and account for the policies they are working to protect. His nomination would mean that it is the Republican candidate — not the Democrat — who would be the anti-war, pro-due-process, pro-transparency, anti-Fed, anti-Wall-Street-bailout, anti-Drug-War advocate (which is why some neocons are expressly arguing they’d vote for Obama over Paul). Is it really hard to see why Democrats hate his candidacy and anyone who touts its benefits?

It's a historical fact that the financial arm of the government has often served as a mechanism for waging war, and that the desire to wage war has driven the development of this arm. However, the solution for those who want to make war more difficult is not to remove the government from the economy. It is, simply, to spend less money on armaments (and, increasingly, other intelligence and security measures).

It's a historical fact that the financial arm of the government has often served as a mechanism for waging war, and that the desire to wage war has driven the development of this arm. However, the solution for those who want to make war more difficult is not to remove the government from the economy. It is, simply, to spend less money on armaments (and, increasingly, other intelligence and security measures).

Sure, if the only abuse you're worried about is needless warfare. If, on the other hand, you'd like to put the brakes on corporatism in general, you have to strike at the root.

On second look, the Greenwald article is actually better. Love to hear your response, if you have time to read it. It's fairly long.

Very good, and I agree completely. I would like for Paul to get the nomination (although I doubt if he will) because I want the President to be put on the defensive about all this crap. I want these issues discussed.

I would of course not support Paul for the White House; as these articles rightly point out, on the whole and across the board there is good and legitimate reason for progressives to oppose his election. But I've made no secret of the fact that I'm not an Obama fan at this point.

Really? Historical fact?

If we disbanded our armed forces completely we would never wage war. Of course everyone else and his brother would be walking over our corpses on the way to occupy Washington but the Left doesn't care about that.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Really? Historical fact?

If we disbanded our armed forces completely we would never wage war. Of course everyone else and his brother would be walking over our corpses on the way to occupy Washington but the Left doesn't care about that.

I didn't say that one shouldn't wage war, I said that government financing and government war-making have been intimately related historically. In brief:

During 1861, the opening year of the American Civil War, the expenses incurred by the Union Government far outstripped its limited revenues from taxation, and borrowing was the main vehicle for financing the war. (United States Note - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

The budgetary expenses for the years 1941-1945 amounted to some $317 billion, of which $281 billion was directly related to the war effort; expenditures climbed from $9.6 billion in fiscal 1940 to nearly $100 billion in 1945. Of these outlays some 45 percent was covered by taxes and other non-borrowing sources. The deficit had to be covered by selling bonds.
(Series E bond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

On second look, the Greenwald article is actually better. Love to hear your response, if you have time to read it. It's fairly long.

A few reactions to the article:

- Greenwald's characterization of actions under Obama is often debatable and incendiary.

- Greenwald seems to hold Obama entirely or almost entirely responsible for certain actions during his presidency, ignoring the possibility (in some cases, I would say certainty) that Obama acts as a progressive force only partially able to rein in other actors (military-industrial complex, civilian bureaucracy, Congress, American public).

- Greenwald's hypothetical line of reasoning (beginning with "Yes, I'm willing...") ignores the fact that an individual voter can't choose Ron Paul, they can only vote (and volunteer for, donate to, etc.) for him. A strategic voter with moderate progressive values faced with a race between Obama, Romney, and Paul must vote for Obama even if they would prefer a Paul presidency.

- Greenwald acknowledges troubling aspects of Ron Paul's history and positions (he refers to "horrible aspects of his belief system and past actions"), yet never seems to address them (other than to point out that Obama also holds non-progressive positions). I generally find belief systems and past actions to be terrific predictors of future actions, so I wouldn't support a candidate without seeing those things addressed.

- Greenwald notes that Obama the president seems to be more conservative on a number of issues than Obama the candidate. It does not seem to occur to him that a President Paul (who would presumably have to have done something to win over the conservative base) would suffer the same transformation.

- Greenwald writes, "Is it really hard to see why Democrats hate his candidacy and anyone who touts its benefits?" I don't have any polling numbers to back this up, but I suspect that Paul has fairly high approval among Democrats compared to his fellow Republican candidates. Greenwald might be conflating Paul's extreme views on certain issues (eg, taxes, health care) with his overall profile.

In the end, Greenwald calls for "a candid assessment of all candidates". That's rather hard to argue with. He certainly doesn't suggest that progressives should support Paul's candidacy over Obama's, only that they should agree with Paul on certain issues and that they should be glad that he is running. That's certainly how I feel.

Really? Historical fact?

I didn't say that one shouldn't wage war, I said that government financing and government war-making have been intimately related historically. In brief:

During 1861, the opening year of the American Civil War, the expenses incurred by the Union Government far outstripped its limited revenues from taxation, and borrowing was the main vehicle for financing the war. (United States Note - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

The budgetary expenses for the years 1941-1945 amounted to some $317 billion, of which $281 billion was directly related to the war effort; expenditures climbed from $9.6 billion in fiscal 1940 to nearly $100 billion in 1945. Of these outlays some 45 percent was covered by taxes and other non-borrowing sources. The deficit had to be covered by selling bonds.
(Series E bond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Wars cost money. A blinding flash of the obvious.
"Unlimited funds are the sinews of war." -Cicero.
Unfortunately the Democrats are bent on reducing the wealth of this country, and therefore our ability to wage war.

Liberals hate honesty, transparency, and peace. That is why they will vote for Obama.

Liberals hate honesty, transparency, and peace. That is why they will vote for Obama.

I love it when an actual intelligent conversation in a thread takes place for once around here, and some douche canoe has to throw in a line of bullshit.

Funny... it's usually a knuckle dragging Conservative who does it.... not that all Conservatives are Knuckle Draggers.... but the ones that are always seem to pop in with crap like this.

Liberals are Americans. Conservatives are Americans.... Your views are no better or worse than mine.

I'll tell you what Aquathena.... If Libertarianism wouldn't be such a hard ass when it comes to the poor and the elderly, I'd probably vote for Paul. But I am sorry.... I am not going to let fellow Americans live a life of shit just because SOME people hate the government and taxation.

I agree with Ron Paul on about 70% of things. I disagree with him so completely about the remaining 30% that I could never support him.

that's true of most people. but the paulians are a zealous group.

i wonder if the o/p agrees with Matt Stoller that foreclosure properties are crime scenes...

Opinion: Treat foreclosure as a crime scene - Matt Stoller - POLITICO.com

Probably not. I'm sure there are lots of things I disagree with Stoller about, Greenwald as well. Though they both seem like decent people with good intent.

I find it sort of odd - and a little sad - how people will so often bring up these kinds of conflicts, as though we're supposed to either agree with everything someone else says, or burn them in effigy. It even extends to partisanship, where we're expected swallow the party line whole, and express contempt for everything the other side says. Whatever happened to thinking for yourself?

I'll tell you what Aquathena.... If Libertarianism wouldn't be such a hard ass when it comes to the poor and the elderly, I'd probably vote for Paul. But I am sorry.... I am not going to let fellow Americans live a life of shit just because SOME people hate the government and taxation.

These are lies. SS and Medicare would not be abolished under Paul. However, liberals like to repeat these lies while they cut billions in medicare while spending millions to build a new ghost prison over in the ME.

These are lies. SS and Medicare would not be abolished under Paul. However, liberals like to repeat these lies while they cut billions in medicare while spending millions to build a new ghost prison over in the ME.

Yeah.... well, they didn't cut billions from medicare because what the right wing idiots spout off as "cutting" is actually covered under the new health care plane.... you know.... that donut hole that Medicare part D didn't cover?

Forum List

Back