Ron Paul: Federal Response To Hurricane Unnecessary

J.E.D

Gold Member
Jul 28, 2011
Ron Paul thinks states don't need FEMA to help with natural disasters. I guess he should tell Rick Perry to give all of that money back. I don't understand why cons love this guy so much. He sounds like a loon to me.

First Read - Ron Paul: No FEMA response necessary

GILFORD, N.H. -- After a lunch speech today, Ron Paul slammed the Federal Emergency Management Agency, or FEMA, and said that no national response to Hurricane Irene is necessary.
"We should be like 1900; we should be like 1940, 1950, 1960," Paul said. "I live on the Gulf Coast; we deal with hurricanes all the time. Galveston is in my district.

Yeah, Paul, Galveston is in your district. And what happened in Galveston 100 or so years ago? A hurricane that killed thousands. Too bad we can't go back to the way things were in 1900, when thousands died because of a lack of emergency preparedness.

More than 6,000 men, women and children lost their lives. Among the dead were 10 sisters and 90 children from the St. Mary's Orphans Asylum, operated by the Sisters of Charity.

The sisters also operated St. Mary's Infirmary in Galveston. It was the first Catholic hospital in the state, established in 1867.

They were also charged with caring for orphaned children, most of whom had lost parents during yellow fever epidemics.

The 1900 Storm: Galveston, Texas

So this is Ron Paul’s reactionary dream, and the dream of his supporters and most on the right: to return to a time when thousands lost their lives in hurricanes and yellow fever epidemics.

Whatever Paul and the right’s pathetic fantasy, we can never return to the past; and the policies they advocate are equally useless.

The guy is a fool. He says get rid of the FBI and let the states handle it. He ignores the fact that in 20s and 30s before the FBI, bank robbers would rob a bank in one state and race for the state border. Then they would rob a bank in the next state. The states were powerless to stop this, since their jurisdiction stopped at the state lines!

His philosophy is that a state can handle itself better than the entire country. I find that thinking ironic, since the strongest countries in the world are the larger one. All the BRIC countries are the LARGE countries.

Radical Paul is a fool! It's his same reasoning that the civil war didn't need to be fought. That we could have done what England did and buy all the slaves from the South and then free them. That is a pipe-dream. Our countries situation was a lot different. No way the South would give up their slaves without a fight!

Ron Paul thinks states don't need FEMA to help with natural disasters. I guess he should tell Rick Perry to give all of that money back. I don't understand why cons love this guy so much. He sounds like a loon to me.

GILFORD, N.H. -- After a lunch speech today, Ron Paul slammed the Federal Emergency Management Agency, or FEMA, and said that no national response to Hurricane Irene is necessary.
"We should be like 1900; we should be like 1940, 1950, 1960," Paul said. "I live on the Gulf Coast; we deal with hurricanes all the time. Galveston is in my district.

Yeah, Paul, Galveston is in your district. And what happened in Galveston 100 or so years ago? A hurricane that killed thousands. Too bad we can't go back to the way things were in 1900, when thousands died because of a lack of emergency preparedness.

Last edited:
The guy is a fool. He would say get rid of the FBI and let the states handle. He ignores the fact that in 20s and 30s before the FBI, bank robberies would rob a bank in one state and race for the state border. Then they would rob a bank in the next state. The states were powerless to stop this, since their jurisdiction stopped at the state lines!
Comparing FEMA with the FBI is apples and submarines.

Get real.

So, we're going to compare a Cat 5 storm that struck without notice in 1900 with any given storm today, where' there are several days at least, if not a week's, worth of notice to evacuate and prepare?

And y'all wonder why people mock and laugh at you? :lol:

Why is there so much warning (and you wonder why I laugh at you Odd-dude)? Should each state fund their own NASA & NOAA?

• Banned
So, we're going to compare a Cat 5 storm that struck without notice in 1900 with any given storm today, where' there are several days at least, if not a week's, worth of notice to evacuate and prepare?

Any given storm today? What are you talking about? Have been paying attention to the news? There is a CAT 1 storm currently striking the east coast. Maybe that means nothing to you, but for the thousands without power, it actually does mean something. Seriously, what are you saying? Anything below a CAT 5 storm isn't worthy of emergency response? That's a pretty weak defense of Paul's ignorant statement. Are you sure you want to stick with that? If that's the best you can do, maybe you just shouldn't say anything.

• Banned
Post hoc ergo propter hoc is fallacious and irrelevant.

NOAA could be funded by any one of a number of private interests and/or coalition of the several states.

Try again.

You need to try again. There is no defending Paul on this one. It was an extremely ignorant statement (and not too smart for somebody who represents a state that is prone to hurricanes and wildfires). I'm guessing we'll be hearing the backpedaling from Paul in about 24 hours.

Thank god we will never have someone like Ron Paul making decisions in this country

NOAA could be funded by any one of a number of private interests and/or coalition of the several states.

Try again.

You need to try again. There is no defending Paul on this one. It was an extremely ignorant statement (and not too smart for somebody who represents a state that is prone to hurricanes and wildfires). I'm guessing we'll be hearing the backpedaling from Paul in about 24 hours.
No, there are no liberoidal goofballs defending Dr. Paul.

He is, however, exactly right in that there's no real need at all for FEMA.

LOL yeah that's what he means by no Federal Response. First off we don't have 1000's of deaths commonly in Hurricanes today not because of FEMA, but because of Better Forecasting and communication, and Better Building Codes. Period.

FEMA should only have to respond if Local and State Governments ask for help. They should of course always be prepared as that is their job.

Last edited:

Any given storm today? What are you talking about? Have been paying attention to the news? There is a CAT 1 storm currently striking the east coast. Maybe that means nothing to you, but for the thousands without power, it actually does mean something. Seriously, what are you saying? Anything below a CAT 5 storm isn't worthy of emergency response? That's a pretty weak defense of Paul's ignorant statement. Are you sure you want to stick with that? If that's the best you can do, maybe you just shouldn't say anything.
So fucking what?

I lived through a storm last summer that put us out of electricity for nine days, and we didn't need Big Daddy Big Gubmint to come in and bail our asses out.

Try again.

No, there are no liberoidal goofballs defending Dr. Paul.

He is, however, exactly right in that there's no real need at all for FEMA.

Yeah, I know that no liberals are defending Paul (and for good reason). It's the kooky cons who are defending him. And as we've seen from your posts, your defense is extremely weak.

Try again.

You're funny. Not too bright, but funny none the less. But maybe I judge to harshly, I'm sure you have a business plan wherein a private company would do all that NASA & NOAA do and turn a nice profit.

Would you care to explain how?

Try again.

You're funny. Not too bright, but funny none the less. But maybe I judge to harshly, I'm sure you have a business plan wherein a private company would do all that NASA & NOAA do and turn a nice profit.

Would you care to explain how?

There is actually big bucks to be made lifting payloads into Space, and Servicing them. Not to mention all the Private people who would pay large sums for the chance to just Orbit the Earth a couple times. A Private Company could conceivably Turn a Profit doing Both.

So fucking what?

I lived through a storm last summer that put us out of electricity for nine days, and we didn't need Big Daddy Big Gubmint to come in and bail our asses out.

You were out of electricity for a few days and you think that makes you an expert on who requires emergency assistance? :lol::lol::lol: Jesus you people are delusional.

I built my home with walls a foot thick

My genny's gassed and ready to go

soon we'll be toasting the weather with a flute of Grand Marnier

i could, if i wished to, play the libertopian card better than a lot of people

but i still hold a cert, old news that i am , and my nighthitch will be by the bed , scanner will be on, i'll roll when asked

i've been part of the system now for 1/4 century. a lot of you people posting here don't cotton to it, and i don't blame you one bit

some of us fossils have lived the evolution to conclude a mighty thin line being a public servant, and a public nusiance

Forum List

Back