Romney's weird 'Harvard attack' against Obama

J.E.D

Gold Member
Jul 28, 2011
It was a really dumb attack, especially considering the fact that Romney actually spent more time than Obama at Harvard, and the fact that Romney sent two (or three?) of his kids to Harvard. This op-ed raised another good point.

What Romney’s `Harvard’ attack on Obama really means - The Plum Line - The Washington Post

As you’ve probably heard, Mitt Romney poked fun at President Obama today over his time in the Ivy League. “We have a president, who I think is a nice guy, but he spent too much time at Harvard,” Romney said .

Romney, apparently, hopes to paint Obama as the one who’s really elitist and out of touch. Yesterday he said Obama has spent too much time on Air Force One. Today’s barb is cut from the same cookie-cutter.

Of course, using Harvard as an example of this seems questionable. As a number of people were quick to point out , Romney himself spent some time at Harvard, too — in fact, he earned two advanced degrees there.

Dems have painted this today as another “gaffe.” But there’s another layer to it that’s worth unpacking, one that might have more long-term significance than you might expect.

The problem with Romney’s Harvard attack isn't that it makes him look foolish. Rather, the real problem is that it serves as a reminder of the contrast between the two men’s story arcs. It draws attention to something that one assumes most voters would see as a positive: That Obama, like Romney, made it to Harvard, despite growing up in more difficult circumstances than Romney did.

What makes you think Barry is in touch with everyday Americans??

IMO he ain't.

As for an "attack?" I think your stretching that bs way to far.

As a Republican, it's going to be an agonizing seven months watching this joker twisting in the wind, ineptly showing how out of touch he is.

I would like to say it's Bob Dole all over again, but Bob Dole had some dignity.

IMO he ain't.

someone who spent more time at harvard than the president really shouldn't talk about the president having spent too much time at harvard.

typical rightwing meme... take your weaknesses and attribute them to your opponent.

:thup:

Don't worry..it's not going un-noticed.

And people think this is an exercise in Projection.

When did you develop the skill to read the minds of 'people'? Or were you elected to speak on behalf of this mysterious 'people'.

IMO he ain't.

someone who spent more time at harvard than the president really shouldn't talk about the president having spent too much time at harvard.

typical rightwing meme... take your weaknesses and attribute them to your opponent.

It was a left wing attribute before it was a right wing attribute. Just sayin'.

IMO he ain't.

The GOP wants to take the country away from the Ph.D.'s and give it to the MBA's, and the Democrats want to take it away from the MBA's and give it to the Ph.D.'s, and they both rail against "elites".

As a Republican, it's going to be an agonizing seven months watching this joker twisting in the wind, ineptly showing how out of touch he is.

I would like to say it's Bob Dole all over again, but Bob Dole had some dignity.

Bob Dole is a great man..and an American Hero.

True story. :thup:

IMO he ain't.

not really, honey. romney's biggest weakness is his inability to connect with people. so, of course, they'll pretend that the president can't.

but that hasn't exactly proven to be the case.

just sayin...

;)

Sorry but I don't think a comment is an attack on anything.

Thats just me.

Carry on.

not really, honey. romney's biggest weakness is his inability to connect with people. so, of course, they'll pretend that the president can't.

just sayin...

;)
Shoot, Romney can't even have a beer with anyone. :lol:

just sayin...

;)

That's probably because I think he doesn't drink. But heck..those "cheesy" grits! Hmm..boy.

Bob Dole is a great man..and an American Hero.

True story. :thup:

I think he was a great man, but a horrible candidate.

But I also think that the same kind of thinking that was behind his uninspired candidacy is the same kind of thinking that is getting us Romney. He's safe, he's run before, he's electable, it's his turn.

What makes Romney worse is that while Dole was a good man, Romney is kind of a scumwad.

It was a really dumb attack, especially considering the fact that Romney actually spent more time than Obama at Harvard, and the fact that Romney sent two (or three?) of his kids to Harvard. This op-ed raised another good point.

What Romney’s `Harvard’ attack on Obama really means - The Plum Line - The Washington Post

As you’ve probably heard, Mitt Romney poked fun at President Obama today over his time in the Ivy League. “We have a president, who I think is a nice guy, but he spent too much time at Harvard,” Romney said .

Romney, apparently, hopes to paint Obama as the one who’s really elitist and out of touch. Yesterday he said Obama has spent too much time on Air Force One. Today’s barb is cut from the same cookie-cutter.

Of course, using Harvard as an example of this seems questionable. As a number of people were quick to point out , Romney himself spent some time at Harvard, too — in fact, he earned two advanced degrees there.

Dems have painted this today as another “gaffe.” But there’s another layer to it that’s worth unpacking, one that might have more long-term significance than you might expect.

The problem with Romney’s Harvard attack isn't that it makes him look foolish. Rather, the real problem is that it serves as a reminder of the contrast between the two men’s story arcs. It draws attention to something that one assumes most voters would see as a positive: That Obama, like Romney, made it to Harvard, despite growing up in more difficult circumstances than Romney did.

MItt is appealing to his KNOW-NOTHING wing of the GOP.

One of the cherished myths of the KNOW-NOTHINGS is that education makes one stupid.

We read that goofy sentiment on this board quite often.

Its all part of the education is bad motif of the modern GOP's STUPIDEST partisans.

Its a sort of a POL-POT-lite gestalt America is currently experiencing.

You see, this is what happens when you pander to the people whose theory is that BLIND FAITH is superior to empirical data and logic

Last edited:

just sayin...

;)

That's probably because I think he doesn't drink. But heck..those "cheesy" grits! Hmm..boy.

And the trees. Don't forget the trees. Romney really likes trees, but only when they're at that perfect height.

Forum List

Back