Romney's Vetoes Seldom Stood

Aug 7, 2012
News Article from 2007: Romney's vetoes seldom stood

Legislature pushed bills through anyway

By Daniel Barrick / Monitor staff

May 3, 2007

In his latest television ad, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney boasts of vetoing budget bills that don't meet his standards. The commercial is meant to bolster the impression of Romney as a scrupulous steward of public dollars.

"I know how to veto," Romney says in the ad, which began broadcasting nationally last week. "I like vetoes. I've vetoed hundreds of spending appropriations as governor." That's true. But what the ad doesn't say is how ineffective the vast majority of Romney's vetoes were.

For example, in his last year as Massachusetts governor, Romney vetoed nearly 250 items in the state budget. All of those vetoes were overturned by the legislature, effectively removing Romney from the final stage of the state's budget process. That outcome is consistent with much of Romney's veto record. Nearly all of Romney's vetoes - of bills that dealt with access to birth control, increased funding for state zoos, and the creation of a Massachusetts Asian-American commission, among other issues - were reversed by the legislature, sometimes by unanimous votes.

"He likes vetoes, but most of his were inconsequential," said Jim Rappaport, a former chairman of the Massachusetts Republican Party and a frequent critic of Romney. "They were like writing in the sand: The waves came in and wiped them out."

I thought you said you didnt like Obama either.

Looks like you are REALLY scared of Romney..... because you have yet to post a disparaging remark about your heroe.

I personally think you just lied.

87% democrat....no shit his vetos were overturned... You needed an article to figure it out

eh, he was out powered by the democrats. Regardless...i doubt he will veto much. Not much will make it to his desk.

May 3, 2007

In his latest television ad, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney boasts of vetoing budget bills that don't meet his standards. The commercial is meant to bolster the impression of Romney as a scrupulous steward of public dollars.

"I know how to veto," Romney says in the ad, which began broadcasting nationally last week. "I like vetoes. I've vetoed hundreds of spending appropriations as governor." That's true. But what the ad doesn't say is how ineffective the vast majority of Romney's vetoes were.

For example, in his last year as Massachusetts governor, Romney vetoed nearly 250 items in the state budget. All of those vetoes were overturned by the legislature, effectively removing Romney from the final stage of the state's budget process. That outcome is consistent with much of Romney's veto record. Nearly all of Romney's vetoes - of bills that dealt with access to birth control, increased funding for state zoos, and the creation of a Massachusetts Asian-American commission, among other issues - were reversed by the legislature, sometimes by unanimous votes.

"He likes vetoes, but most of his were inconsequential," said Jim Rappaport, a former chairman of the Massachusetts Republican Party and a frequent critic of Romney. "They were like writing in the sand: The waves came in and wiped them out."

DUH is legislature was 87% Democrat.

What the fuck is your point.

You point out he had little power in the state, But you have also blamed him for the States Problems.

typical Lib

Last edited:

May 3, 2007

What's your point? Is it that Obama has never vetoed a Republican bill he didn't like?

May 3, 2007

The point remains....Governor Romney took a stand.

Then, there's this.....

"Here are the facts: According to reports by both The New York Times and the Associated Press, Obama voted "present" 129 times as a state senator."
FactCheck.org : Obama’s Legislative Record

Forum List

Back