Romney's Running for the 2012 Olympics was MASTERFUL!!!

The last president who was elected based largely on his business prowess was Warren G Harding, an influential self-made newspaper publisher.

Harding is best remembered for The Teapot Dome Scandal and has been ranked as perhaps America's worst president.

Although William Henry Harrison died after serving only 32 days in office, he still ranks as the 38th most successful president - so what that say about Harding who ranks 43rd?

The moral of the story is that having a strong background in business has not produced good presidents - they require different skill sets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_Presidents_of_the_United_Stateswho

You do realize that despite Harding's moral failings, the Harding/Coolidge administrations were one of the most economically successful eras of our nations history. They are the only recorded period where the unemployment rate was as low as 2%. And this was done after suffering from a Depression that was deeper than the 1929 Depression.

So I would argue that having a strong background in business has produced good Presidents and good times for the nation.

Typical of the rw's get THIS happy about the biggest bailout in Olympics.

The TAX PAYERS bailed out the 2002 Olympics.

And so did OBama's boy, Ralph Lauren, so.............you're a hypocrit

Bullshit.

There is simply no way you can blame President Obama for uniforms made in China. OTOH, Mittens was running the Olympics when he signed off on outsourcing the uniforms.

I'd bet rw's will now say that even though he was in charge, Mittens was not really responsible. Just like Bain.

Yeah he was running the Olympics. Not Team USA. Where Team USA gets their materials is completely irrelevant to the job of running the Olympics. That is something Team USA decides.

That's like blaming Obama for something a Republican Sherrif does. You may like the sound of it for your arguments, but it's a lie and anyone who thinks about it for more than two seconds realizes it.

The main reason why Chicago lost the olympics was because obama went to Copenhagen with his insufferable wife. The two of them were so over the top arrogant, that the US lost on the first voting round.

Aside from that, Chicago is so violent, such a lawless and corrupt place, that even if the Olympic Committee had voted to hold the olympics there, they would have tried to get out of it. The olympics were held in Sarajevo BEFORE they had a civil war. Not DURING the civil war.

yeah, and then they chose rio. lol

That just goes to show you what can happen without insufferable arrogance.

And the entire "PROFIT" came from the American taxpayer. And that's using Willard's $410 MILLION figure. McCain had the GAO look into it and they came up with a $1.3 TRILLION dollar cost to the American taxpayer.
I don't think you even know what profit means.

Money out - money in > 0.

It's just that simple.
"Money in" from taxpayers means the profit was on the taxpayer's back.
So, I take it you oppose the bank and GM bailouts, too.

:rolleyes:

I don't think you even know what profit means.

Money out - money in > 0.

It's just that simple.

Yes and no. What I oppose is the fact that the bailouts were necessary not that we stopped financial meltdown of the banks and saved an American icon.

Even Reversible Mitten's bailout was a good thing. It's Willard that's opposed to bailouts if he's not profiting from them.

smoke and mirrors....

John Hunstman: $1million donation to the SLC Olympics followed by a $250million investment from Bain.

Others of the final tally of 53 corporate sponsors were already under Romney and Bain Capital’s influence. Marriott is led by close family friends — now campaign finance co-chairs; plus, Romney was sitting on the company’s board at the time. Sealy, which Bain Capital owned, became a sponsor. So did Monster.com, where one of Romney’s sons worked as a consultant. The vice-chair of General Motors was on Marriott’s board of directors with Romney, as were the directors of Blue Cross/Blue Shield and Sears; all became sponsors. Many other sponsors had extensive business dealings with Bain Capital companies, or had top-ranking executives with past connections to Bain Capital companies. And most of them have come through for Romney again, by donating to his campaign.

Daily Kos: Follow. The. Olympics. Money. Bain+Romney 1999-2001

seems the olympics werent as profitable as good friends who just happen to be rich

This, not management skills but the good ol boy network.

Yes and no. What I oppose is the fact that the bailouts were necessary not that we stopped financial meltdown of the banks and saved an American icon.

Even Reversible Mitten's bailout was a good thing. It's Willard that's opposed to bailouts if he's not profiting from them.

Oh? Romney profited from the Olympics? Link to it.

Not all profit is monetary.

The last president who was elected based largely on his business prowess was Warren G Harding, an influential self-made newspaper publisher.

Harding is best remembered for The Teapot Dome Scandal and has been ranked as perhaps America's worst president.

Although William Henry Harrison died after serving only 32 days in office, he still ranks as the 38th most successful president - so what that say about Harding who ranks 43rd?

The moral of the story is that having a strong background in business has not produced good presidents - they require different skill sets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_Presidents_of_the_United_Stateswho

You do realize that despite Harding's moral failings, the Harding/Coolidge administrations were one of the most economically successful eras of our nations history. They are the only recorded period where the unemployment rate was as low as 2%. And this was done after suffering from a Depression that was deeper than the 1929 Depression.

So I would argue that having a strong background in business has produced good Presidents and good times for the nation.

Actually, government didn't really measure unemployment back then... not accurately, anyway.

And there was this little Depression in 1921. But the real problem was, of course, that Coolidge was completely asleep at the wheel, and the banks too ridiculous and foolish risks, which is WHY the economy crashed in 1929.

Do they not teach this bit of history in whatever Mormon HomeSkule you went to?

Not all profit is monetary.
Well, he certainly did show off his excellent business sense and management skills by turning a money loser into a money winner.

Actually, government didn't really measure unemployment back then... not accurately, anyway.

And there was this little Depression in 1921. But the real problem was, of course, that Coolidge was completely asleep at the wheel, and the banks too ridiculous and foolish risks, which is WHY the economy crashed in 1929.

Do they not teach this bit of history in whatever Mormon HomeSkule you went to?

The Depression was in 1920. And Harding/Coolidge policies of getting the government out of people's ways lead to a boom for an entire 9 years.

And then, like always, when people become proud and careless and violate natural laws of virtue and the laws of God, they end up making poor decisions and the market has to correct itself. Unfortunately, in 1929, Hoover, a progressive, was in charge and decided he would try to "fix" things by micromanaging the economy. FDR ran against him as a conservative Democrat and then turned around and doubled down on Hoover's micromanaging.

It's not surprising that the Depression of 1920 was over quickly when Harding/Coolidge Cut taxes and cut spending. Nor is it surprising when micromanaging the 1929 Depressed caused it to last 12 years.

And so we see from history that for us to have sustained economic expansion we need:

1) Limited government (cut taxes, spending, and regulation)
2) The people to adhere to the commandments of God.

Otherwise, you have Depressions and downturns which are exacerbated by government manipulation.

and yes, unemployment was as low as 2% during the Roaring Twenties.

Unfortunately, there are too many people who want to relive the Great Depression.

Well, he certainly did show off his excellent business sense and management skills by turning a money loser into a money winner.

Right...by privatizing the profits and socializing the debt. He couldn't have done it without the kind of "bailout" he now demonizes.
So, you are against the GM and bank bailouts, right?

No, but Mitten is....he doesn't mind bailouts if they benefit him personally, though.

Last edited:
The Depression was in 1920. And Harding/Coolidge policies of getting the government out of people's ways lead to a boom for an entire 9 years.

And then, like always, when people become proud and careless and violate natural laws of virtue and the laws of God, they end up making poor decisions and the market has to correct itself. Unfortunately, in 1929, Hoover, a progressive, was in charge and decided he would try to "fix" things by micromanaging the economy. FDR ran against him as a conservative Democrat and then turned around and doubled down on Hoover's micromanaging.

It's not surprising that the Depression of 1920 was over quickly when Harding/Coolidge Cut taxes and cut spending. Nor is it surprising when micromanaging the 1929 Depressed caused it to last 12 years.

And so we see from history that for us to have sustained economic expansion we need:

1) Limited government (cut taxes, spending, and regulation)
2) The people to adhere to the commandments of God.

Otherwise, you have Depressions and downturns which are exacerbated by government manipulation.

and yes, unemployment was as low as 2% during the Roaring Twenties.

Unfortunately, there are too many people who want to relive the Great Depression.

Guy, the 1920-21 Depression had NOTHING to do with your Sky Pixie or the laws of Virtue.

It had to do with the fact that the World War came to an end, and American factories that were getting wealthy off of providing war materials to the countries fighting it no longer had lucrative customers.

Trying to recast Hoover as a progressive is equally silly. He was a free-markets guy all the way. But Coolidge had already set the table by ignoring what the big money plutocrats were doing and the unreasonable risks they were taking.

Now you see, you probably learned this alternative reality in some Mormon School, which is why one of you people should never be trusted with the presidency. (I also recommend throwing a big fence around Utah so none of you can get out, but that might be a bit harsh.)

Reversible Mittens DID save the 2002 Olympics and it was a good thing. We needed it. It was right after 9/11 and we needed to show the world that we would not be broken by terrorists.

The Olympics is another one of the good things Willard did that he can't talk about since he had to get a HUGE "government bailout" to make it happen.

Romney is a humble man. You don't hear him saying, "I saved the Olympics when nobody else could, I did it. How wonderfult I am." That is what Obama would be doing. "I, I, I!"

When it would be in his best interest to remind people of this accomplishment ( and whereabouts from 1999 until 2002), you just don't hear him spouting his own praises. That's not the kind of man he is.

LOL...yeah, it takes a real humble man to take credit for the auto bailout he opposed. :lol:

Well, in fairness, you don't see him patting himself on the back for inventing Obamacare.

Right...by privatizing the profits and socializing the debt. He couldn't have done it without the kind of "bailout" he now demonizes.
So, you are against the GM and bank bailouts, right?

Are you getting senile? You already asked that question just a few posts back and I already answered it.

Hilarious. John McCain complained that the Olympics Mitt "saved" cost the taxpayers 1.4 billion dollars and made an astounding hundred million. 1.4 billion can buy a lot of resorts and ice rinks and ski lifts. Who owns that stuff today? After all, it's right outside Salt Lake City.

What this is, is the next big scandal. No one has looked into where that 1.4 billion went and who benefited. Anyone want to bet it was "MItt's friends"?

Romney is a humble man. You don't hear him saying, "I saved the Olympics when nobody else could, I did it. How wonderfult I am." That is what Obama would be doing. "I, I, I!"

When it would be in his best interest to remind people of this accomplishment ( and whereabouts from 1999 until 2002), you just don't hear him spouting his own praises. That's not the kind of man he is.

LOL...yeah, it takes a real humble man to take credit for the auto bailout he opposed. :lol:

Well, in fairness, you don't see him patting himself on the back for inventing Obamacare.

LOL, very true. Of course, ObomneyCare isn't as popular as GM...yet.

Forum List

Back