Romney's Massachusetts labor force exodus

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009
Romney's Massachusetts...

...Suffered the second-largest labor force decline in the nation: Only Louisiana, which was ravaged by Hurricane Katrina in 2005, saw a bigger decline in its labor force than Massachusetts during Romney’s tenure as governor. The US Census Bureau estimated that between July 2002 and July 2006, 222,000 more residents left Massachusetts for other states than came to it. That decline largely explains the state’s decreasing unemployment rate (from 5.6 to 4.7 percent) while Romney was in office, according to Northeastern University economics professor Andrew Sum. At the same time, the nation as a whole added 8 million people to the labor force.

I'll climb out on the same limb I occupy when people try to blame the entire economic mess the nation is in on OBAMA.

Blaming Mitt for the economic mess MASS got itself in is dumb dumber DUMBEST.

I'll climb out on the same limb I occupy when people try to blame the entire economic mess the nation is in on OBAMA.

Obama and Romney's records have an interesting parallel. They both had to deal with disastes created by previous Republican holders of their offices.

Recent Governors of Massachusetts

William Weld - January 3, 1991 – July 29, 1997 - Republican
Paul Cellucci - July 29, 1997 – April 10, 2001 - Republican
Jane Swift - April 10, 2001 – January 2, 2003 - Republican
Mitt Romney - January 2, 2003 – January 4, 2007 - Republican

Fair enough, but it ain't about you...

...on this Sunday's talk shows, at least two Romney surrogates gave Governor Romney credit for the percentage drop in the unemployment rate in MA-------touché.

...on this Sunday's talk shows, at least two Romney surrogates gave Governor Romney credit for the percentage drop in the unemployment rate in MA-------touché.

nothing screams objective analysis like a link from alternet :lol:

nothing screams objective analysis like a link from alternet :lol:

If you don't think the source is credible, debunk the facts it contains otherwise you're just talking
to the :eusa_hand: -pewsh!-

During Governor Mitt -the job creator- Romney's regime, Massachusetts...

...Lost 14 percent of its manufacturing jobs:
Massachusetts lost 14 percent of its manufacturing jobs during Romney’s time in office, according to Sum. The loss was double the rate that the nation as a whole lost manufacturing jobs. In 2004, Romney vetoed legislation that would have banned companies doing business with the state from outsourcing jobs to other countries.

i lived here and hired people.

cum hoc ergo propter hoc

have a nice day, moonbat

For the few readers who have never bothered to study Latin and believe Del has resorted to posting 'word salad' a not uncommon form of address, I will translate:

"After this, therefore because of this."

of course after eating, and because of eating, we shit. Don't we? Ergo, hence and therefore.

i lived here and hired people.

cum hoc ergo propter hoc

have a nice day, moonbat

For the few readers who have never bothered to study Latin and believe Del has resorted to posting 'word salad' a not uncommon form of address, I will translate:

"After this, therefore because of this."

of course after eating, and because of eating, we shit. Don't we? Ergo, hence and therefore.

actually it translates as "with this, therefore because of this"

it's just a fancy way of calling bullshit

Cracked me up to hear the MittBots actually defend his jobs record, saying he really wasn't 47th out of fifty. He was actually 30th out of fifty.

And, the bot said it as though its something to be proud of.

Cracked me up to hear the MittBots actually defend his jobs record, saying he really wasn't 47th out of fifty. He was actually 30th out of fifty.

And, the bot said it as though its something to be proud of.

Bad as it is, even the 30th out of 50 claim is a bald faced lie.

More talkers need to call these lying pissant Republicans out when they lie their asses off, but unfortunately the corporate media are partnered with the one percenters. But give Thomas Roberts credit for taking Romney surrogate Alice Stewart behind the wood shed -- good on you Thomas Roberts.

MSNBC Anchor Interrogates Romney Spokesperson During Heated Panel | Mediaite

by Noah Rothman
June 4th, 2012

MSNBC anchor Thomas Roberts engaged in a heated exchange with Alice Stewart, former campaign press secretary for Rick Santorum’s presidential bid, during a panel segment on Monday. Roberts went after Stewart after she claimed that a figure which showed Massachusetts was 47th in the nation in job creation during Mitt Romney‘s time as governor was a “misleading figure” put out by the Obama administration. Roberts grilled Stewart on this assertion and asked her “was it 47th or not” four times before Stewart clarified her response.

The panel segment on MSNBC on Monday examined Romney’s attack on President Barack Obama in the wake of a jobs report from Friday that showed the unemployment number increasing for the first time since June 2011.

Roberts asked his panel if Republican efforts to highlight this bad economic news reflected poorly on Republicans who could be viewed as “rooting for failure.” Roberts cited polls that showed Romney’s personal favorability on the rise but still persistently below that of President Obama if the Romney team “should be worried about that.”

Stewart characterized the jobs report as “dismal” and clarified that “Republicans certainly aren’t cheering for that because we have of people out of work.” Stewart claimed that unemployment in Massachusetts hovered around 4.2 percent when he served as the state’s governor. She further said that Massachusetts enjoyed “tens of thousands of jobs created” in that period.

Roberts shot back that she is describing a period where Massachusetts ranked 47th in the nation in terms of job creation and asked her how she could say that was a good record.

“That’s a misleading number you’re putting out there that was put out by the Obama campaign,” Stewart replied. Roberts became heated at this point and shot back “was it 47th or not” repeatedly.

“He took it from 50th to 47th,” Stewart finally conceded. She said that Romney left office by closing a shortfall in the budget and left a $2 billion rainy day fund behind him.

Obama and Romney's records have an interesting parallel. They both had to deal with disastes created by previous Republican holders of their offices.

What you neglect to mention is that Democrats had a super majority in the state legislature during that time and still do. When Romney was governor, the legislature was 85% Democratic. How much power to implement their agenda did any of those governors really have? Who was really in control?

Last edited:

What you neglect to mention is that Democrats had a super majority in the state legislature during that time and still do. When Romney was governor, the legislature was 85% Democratic. How much power to implement their agenda did any of those governors really have? Who was really in control?

Are you saying Romney doesn't have any "executive experience" record to run on in MA?

Are you saying Romney doesn't have any "executive experience" record to run on in MA?

are you retarded?

Forum List

Back