Romney’s magic economy plan

Hey Mac, let me ask you this.

If the demand for product was growing rapidly, would business men/women that you deal with still claim that they were scared of all the uncertainties in the economy.

Or would they hire employees to meet production needs and just worry about filling orders.

Or would they let orders go unfilled because of all the "uncertainties" that would still exist?

You know my point is that increased sales fixes everything. Always has always will. If companies are selling product and making profit, it is amazing how all these other "issues" go away.

Isn't it? Or has that not been your experience?

It has not been my experience.

In my experience, uncertainty over fees, taxes and regulations will paralyze any business. It was the reason I closed my business. It was the reason the company my daughter in law closed their business. It's the reason why many businesses just leave the country and fill those orders from some other place.

Why didn't you do that? I mean leave the country.

So sales were up and you shut er down becaue of uncertainty? Maybe you shouldn't have been running a business. Or your daughter in law. Cause you got to be dumb to close a growing business and claim it was because you didn't know how to predict the future.

btw, I am not surprised you had to close your business. And I think I know the real reason.

The real reason I didn't move out of the country is that the business I closed was a dog grooming business which is not amenable to moving out of the country. While it was growing and I would ordinarily be at a point to considering opening another shop, my accountant told me that I could not expect to outpace (frankly) obamacare. I could sell the place or watch taxes, permits and fees eat it up. Unfortunately for me, my husband was dying and I could not sell immediately. By the time he passed away, uncertainty over what obama's plans were had paralyzed the entrepreneurs and investors. I couldn't even sell it. I sold the equipment and client list and closed it.

It wasn't my daughter in law's company. It was a company she worked for. Two women had a little internet start up. Like myself, they had a serious conversation with their accountant that said their business, while growing quickly, would not keep pace with obama's taxes or regulations. They could close, or watch the government slowly eat the company until nothing was left. They closed, took what money they were able to salvage. Then they converted it to yuan and put it in an offshore bank to hunker down and wait obama out. The ideas are still there. The money is safe. Like hundreds of other businesses they are waiting for the election. Like my doctor who is on leave until after the election. Then he will decide whether or not to ever return to practice.

I don't think that most people have a true understanding of how badly business has been hurt by obama. Companies that would grow, won't. They refuse. Smaller ones won't hire beyond 49 people knowing that the 50th one means fines. Growing companies have fired or laid off excess employees to get under that 50 employee demarcation line. Bigger companies have gone to part timers.

Look at it this way. You are a growing company. You want to expand into another geographical market. You KNOW that when you open that new branch it will lose money for at least two years while it develops a market share. But, if you open that new branch and hire more people, you will get socked with obamacare fines even while the branch isn't self sufficient. How likely is it that you will open that new store?

The business climate is how to exist in spite of obama. How to work around his insanity. How to keep breathing until he's gone. That's paralysis.

Last edited:
It has not been my experience.

In my experience, uncertainty over fees, taxes and regulations will paralyze any business. It was the reason I closed my business. It was the reason the company my daughter in law closed their business. It's the reason why many businesses just leave the country and fill those orders from some other place.

So sales were up and you shut er down becaue of uncertainty? Maybe you shouldn't have been running a business. Or your daughter in law. Cause you got to be dumb to close a growing business and claim it was because you didn't know how to predict the future.

btw, I am not surprised you had to close your business. And I think I know the real reason.

The real reason I didn't move out of the country is that the business I closed was a dog grooming business which is not amenable to moving out of the country. While it was growing and I would ordinarily be at a point to considering opening another shop, my accountant told me that I could not expect to outpace (frankly) obamacare. I could sell the place or watch taxes, permits and fees eat it up. Unfortunately for me, my husband was dying and I could not sell immediately. By the time he passed away, uncertainty over what obama's plans were had paralyzed the entrepreneurs and investors. I couldn't even sell it. I sold the equipment and client list and closed it.

It wasn't my daughter in law's company. It was a company she worked for. Two women had a little internet start up. Like myself, they had a serious conversation with their accountant that said their business, while growing quickly, would not keep pace with obama's taxes or regulations. They could close, or watch the government slowly eat the company until nothing was left. They closed, took what money they were able to salvage. Then they converted it to yuan and put it in an offshore bank to hunker down and wait obama out. The ideas are still there. The money is safe. Like hundreds of other businesses they are waiting for the election. Like my doctor who is on leave until after the election. Then he will decide whether or not to ever return to practice.

I don't think that most people have a true understanding of how badly business has been hurt by obama. Companies that would grow, won't. They refuse. Smaller ones won't hire beyond 49 people knowing that the 50th one means fines. Growing companies have fired or laid off excess employees to get under that 50 employee demarcation line. Bigger companies have gone to part timers.

Look at it this way. You are a growing company. You want to expand into another geographical market. You KNOW that when you open that new branch it will lose money for at least two years while it develops a market share. But, if you open that new branch and hire more people, you will get socked with obamacare fines even while the branch isn't self sufficient. How likely is it that you will open that new store?

The business climate is how to exist in spite of obama. How to work around his insanity. How to keep breathing until he's gone. That's paralysis.

Which part of Obamacare caused you to shut down your business, specifically.

If I were running a successful business with a solid customer base but my accountant advised me to shut down, I'd want to know why specifically. So I'm sure he had a pretty detailed reason highlighting the figures and reasons why. So what was it?

Oh, how many employees did you have at your dog grooming business?

Last edited:
Katzndogz? Where did you go?

Why do you people always disappear when asked for the slightest hint of details?

Romney’s magic economy plan - Salon.com

Mitt Romney gets a lot of guff from his critics for his unwillingness to spell out the details of how he plans to fix the U.S. the economy; how exactly his tax reforms will work, for example, or what precisely he will do in his first 100 days to boost job creation. But the best thing about the Romney agenda is that by his own admission, he doesn’t need a plan.
Just getting himself elected is the ticket to prosperity.

Romney was quite clear on this point in his infamous “47 percent” speech. Romney told his audience that “if we win on November 6th there will be a great deal of optimism about the future of this country. We’ll see capital come back, and we’ll see — without actually doing anything — we’ll actually get a boost in the economy.”

The notion that Romney could spur economic growth “without actually doing anything” invites mockery. The Atlantic’s Matt O’Brien memorably dubbed it “faith-based economic strategy.” At the very least it seemed to betray a breath-taking level of unwarranted hubris. But the key to understanding his boast is to ignore the low-hanging fruit (“without actually doing anything”) and focus on five crucial words: “We’ll see capital come back.”

Romney is referring here to the reluctance of corporations to invest trillions of dollars of cash in productive, job-creating uses. It’s a problem acknowledged by both Democrats and Republicans — American corporations have around $1.8 trillion in cash tucked away in savings accounts or invested in low-yield bonds and ultra-safe government securities. Liberal-minded economists believe that corporations are sitting on all that cash because they see no demand in the general economy for their goods and services. Conservatives argue that the real problem is the prospect of higher taxes and burdensome regulations imposed during a second Obama term.

Mitt Romney gets a lot of guff from his critics for his unwillingness to spell out the details of how he plans to fix the U.S. the economy; how exactly his tax reforms will work, for example, or what precisely he will do in his first 100 days to boost job creation. But the best thing about the Romney agenda is that by his own admission, he doesn’t need a plan. Just getting himself elected is the ticket to prosperity.

~Oddball[/COLOR][/I][/B]

Would you agree that the two or three worst job drawdown months of the last recession happened once our wealth and job creators knew that Obama was going to be the POTUS?

Why is it hard for you to reason that since our wealth and job creators headed to the hills once they realized we elected an anti-business Marxist, they might be eager to open up shop again the moment we elect a pro-business capitalist?

They don't call it 'smart money' for nothing, do they?

What's stifling business investment is UNCERTAINTY. It is not that an increase in taxes by Democrats is so bad, it's that until businesses know what the tax situation is, they really don't know what their own true financial situation is and therefore can't decide how to best invest.

In fact increasing taxes now will bring MORE CERTAINTY to businesses than lowering taxes. No one knows if some radical new Republican tax plan will work or not. No one knows if sometime later down the road there will have to be a massive tax increase to compensate for the lost revenue under such a radical plan.

Remember:

"Read My Lips...No new taxes"

That turned out to be a lie. Why should anyone assume that some new tax plan by Republicans will turn out any different?

To be fair, he has announced one policy to fix the economy...sack Big Bird and that damn Grouch in the rubbish bin......
.....And, then he gets BUSTED.....

:lol:

*​

"Gillespie was flummoxed over these questions and rightly so, because Wallace is the first pundit on a mainstream-media show to openly criticize their bullshit economic numbers, which are justified by more bullshit."

Romney:

"I've LOST FAUX NOISE!!!!"

:clap2:

:lol:

Last edited:

If I were running a successful business with a solid customer base but my accountant advised me to shut down, I'd want to know why specifically. So I'm sure he had a pretty detailed reason highlighting the figures and reasons why. So what was it?

Specifically, I couldn't afford the general increase in taxes across the board. Not just those that I paid directly, but those that I would pay indirectly. The money that I had marked for expansion was gone. Taken before I ever thought about getting it. I was expecting severe increases from vendors to pay THEIR taxes in addition to my own. If you haven't noticed, we have a fiscal cliff bearing down on us with the ferocity of a freight train. In addition to obamacare! The advice was sound. I just wish I had been in a position to take it when it was proferred instead of being delayed until I couldn't sell it.

I sold the client list to another dog groomer. Due to the general economic malais, her business declined so much that if she hadn't gotten my client list, she'd be out of business by now. As it is, she's limping along. She had to close my shop and move everyone over to her existing shop so it wasn't even an expansion for her. Even with the influx of new customers she had to let a groomer and a bather go.

The economy is contracting. If we don't stop that contraction we are going to be in a world of hurt.

Too many people just don't understand basic business principles or how an anticipated diminishing return can shut it down.

Specifically, I couldn't afford the general increase in taxes across the board. Not just those that I paid directly, but those that I would pay indirectly. The money that I had marked for expansion was gone. Taken before I ever thought about getting it. I was expecting severe increases from vendors to pay THEIR taxes in addition to my own. If you haven't noticed, we have a fiscal cliff bearing down on us with the ferocity of a freight train. In addition to obamacare! The advice was sound. I just wish I had been in a position to take it when it was proferred instead of being delayed until I couldn't sell it.

I sold the client list to another dog groomer. Due to the general economic malais, her business declined so much that if she hadn't gotten my client list, she'd be out of business by now. As it is, she's limping along. She had to close my shop and move everyone over to her existing shop so it wasn't even an expansion for her. Even with the influx of new customers she had to let a groomer and a bather go.

The economy is contracting. If we don't stop that contraction we are going to be in a world of hurt.

So you don't have any specifics is what you're saying. "General tax increases across the board" is the exact opposite of specifics. You can't tell me one specific tax that went up so dramatically that it forced you to shut down?

And you forgot to mention how many employees you had. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it was 1 (yourself).

I had another groomer, two assistants and two bathers. This was not a operation I could run alone. As costs rise, a business has to raise prices in order to survive. At some point you reach a point where people either are unwilling to pay that cost, or are unwilling to pay it as often. For instance suppose you charged $35.00 to groom an average small dog. Then your costs increase so that in order for you to make the same as you did, you now have to charge $75.00 to groom an average small dog. Some people won't be able to pay it at all, and some will only be able to pay in every four months instead of every month. Where you did get $35.00 every month, you now get $75.00 every four months. Under which economy would you do better? Some people who own dogs might just give them up, send them to the shelter and can't afford to feed them.

Specifically, the electric bill went up five times in two years. The price of material tripled. The guy who drove the truck around that did sharpening had his gas price double so he raised his prices accordingly. Water, well, water became very expensive. It's the obama economy, with damage more attributable to the whole rather than any particular part. obamacare hadn't even gotten started yet. It was advice for the future and good advice too. I just couldn't take advantage of it at the right time. By the time I could, most of the damage had already been done.

I had another groomer, two assistants and two bathers. This was not a operation I could run alone. As costs rise, a business has to raise prices in order to survive. At some point you reach a point where people either are unwilling to pay that cost, or are unwilling to pay it as often. For instance suppose you charged $35.00 to groom an average small dog. Then your costs increase so that in order for you to make the same as you did, you now have to charge $75.00 to groom an average small dog. Some people won't be able to pay it at all, and some will only be able to pay in every four months instead of every month. Where you did get $35.00 every month, you now get $75.00 every four months. Under which economy would you do better? Some people who own dogs might just give them up, send them to the shelter and can't afford to feed them.

Specifically, the electric bill went up five times in two years. The price of material tripled. The guy who drove the truck around that did sharpening had his gas price double so he raised his prices accordingly. Water, well, water became very expensive. It's the obama economy, with damage more attributable to the whole rather than any particular part. obamacare hadn't even gotten started yet. It was advice for the future and good advice too. I just couldn't take advantage of it at the right time. By the time I could, most of the damage had already been done.

So in Summary, there were no actual taxes/regulations placed on you directly by Obama that caused your business to shut down. You simply didn't run a good business.

Newsflash: Most businesses fail. It takes a great business plan and solid product/service offering to make it. This has been the case WELL before Obama ever took office.

The fact that you still can't point to one specific thing that Obama did that is proof enough that you don't know what you're talking about and want to blame anyone but yourself for your business failing.

S
The Rich didn't donate tens of millions of dollars to Romney's campaign to get their loopholes closed, or to see their taxes stay where they are,

which is Romney's latest promise, aka lie.

If Romney is elected president he will cut taxes and in the process GUARANTEE that we won't be able to get rid of our deficit,

even if the business cycle brings about better growth in the next few years.

So liberals gave to obama to.hetbtheir taxes raised?

The fact remains that the only policy that he can be said to have announced is the axing of funding to PBS.

The fact is that we have been operating under the Bush tax cuts since 2001. During that time our economy has been at best luke-warm and at worst an extreme disaster.

The tax increases proposed by Democrats are, at most, a return to the level of taxation that we had back in the 1990s, and not nearly to the level that they were during the 1950 and 1960s.

Yet during the 1950s, 1960s and 1990s we enjoyed the best economic times in our history. Businesses were VERY successful.

It's clear that increased taxes DO NOT stifle business. As a matter of fact it's VERY clear that increased taxes STIMULATE economic growth.

My best guess as to why this happens:

Investors want 2 things: profit and security. During periods of low taxation, profits are high and investors can realize their profit goals thru more secure investments - they do not have to take risks. But these types of investments do not cause economic growth - they do not create jobs.

When taxes are high, investors have to accept greater risk in order to achieve their financial goals - they invest in higher risk investments. These are the type of investments that stimulate economic growth and create jobs.

History shows that low taxation simply DOES NOT stimulate the economy, while it also shows that high taxation DOES stimulate the economy. It may be anti-intuitive, but them is the facts.

Forum List

Back