Romney’s magic economy plan

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Shutter_Label, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Shutter_Label

Shutter_Label Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Romney’s magic economy plan - Salon.com

Mitt Romney gets a lot of guff from his critics for his unwillingness to spell out the details of how he plans to fix the U.S. the economy; how exactly his tax reforms will work, for example, or what precisely he will do in his first 100 days to boost job creation. But the best thing about the Romney agenda is that by his own admission, he doesn’t need a plan.
    Just getting himself elected is the ticket to prosperity.

Romney was quite clear on this point in his infamous “47 percent” speech. Romney told his audience that “if we win on November 6th there will be a great deal of optimism about the future of this country. We’ll see capital come back, and we’ll see — without actually doing anything — we’ll actually get a boost in the economy.”

The notion that Romney could spur economic growth “without actually doing anything” invites mockery. The Atlantic’s Matt O’Brien memorably dubbed it “faith-based economic strategy.” At the very least it seemed to betray a breath-taking level of unwarranted hubris. But the key to understanding his boast is to ignore the low-hanging fruit (“without actually doing anything”) and focus on five crucial words: “We’ll see capital come back.”

Romney is referring here to the reluctance of corporations to invest trillions of dollars of cash in productive, job-creating uses. It’s a problem acknowledged by both Democrats and Republicans — American corporations have around $1.8 trillion in cash tucked away in savings accounts or invested in low-yield bonds and ultra-safe government securities. Liberal-minded economists believe that corporations are sitting on all that cash because they see no demand in the general economy for their goods and services. Conservatives argue that the real problem is the prospect of higher taxes and burdensome regulations imposed during a second Obama term.

Mitt Romney gets a lot of guff from his critics for his unwillingness to spell out the details of how he plans to fix the U.S. the economy; how exactly his tax reforms will work, for example, or what precisely he will do in his first 100 days to boost job creation. But the best thing about the Romney agenda is that by his own admission, he doesn’t need a plan. Just getting himself elected is the ticket to prosperity.

Forum copyright policy, to be found HERE, prohibits posting of pieces in their entirety.

~Oddball

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. idb

idb Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    To be fair, he has announced one policy to fix the economy...sack Big Bird and that damn Grouch in the rubbish bin......

3. Matthew

Matthew Blue dog all the way!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,215
    Lower taxes on the middle class
    Close the loop holes on the upper
    Lower the corporate tax
    Get rid of useless regs
    Adopt a all of the above energy policy
    Allow the private sector to fail or succeed. Remember we're not suppose to be a marxist nation!
    Cut waste.

You leftist fuckers don't have any clue of economics...So who are you to judge? lol It's the man in the private sector like Mitt romney that does!

4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    I love that good old fallback

CLOSE LOOKHOLES.

Which ones?

Anybody know?

Of course not.

5. Oldguy

Oldguy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +592
    Since the GOP is so closely aligned with global corporations and the fat-cats who run them, I've suspected all along that businesses were not hiring on purpose, effectively holding the economy hostage (and us) for a Republican administration.

I see no reason in that article to change my mind.

6. NYcarbineer

NYcarbineer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,315
    The Rich didn't donate tens of millions of dollars to Romney's campaign to get their loopholes closed, or to see their taxes stay where they are,

which is Romney's latest promise, aka lie.

If Romney is elected president he will cut taxes and in the process GUARANTEE that we won't be able to get rid of our deficit,

even if the business cycle brings about better growth in the next few years.

7. Matthew

Matthew Blue dog all the way!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,215
    The ones you leftist keep bitching about the rich getting around when we talk about the corperate tax.:eusa_shhh: Why they don't pay it anyways, you say. :eusa_boohoo:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  8. zeke

zeke Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,868

Matt is that why millioniares are giving so much money to Mitt. Because they just love the country so much.

And they are perfectly satisified with their dedcutions going away and their tax obligation going up.

The ultra rich are aok with that? Is that what you claim?

Let me ask you this Matt. IF Mitt was elected, how does that make the Grover Norquits pledge go away? You know, the one where all the rethugs signed it to make sure taxes or deductions never go away.

Will Mitt kick Grovers ass on this?

9. squeeze berry

squeeze berry Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,459
    [​IMG]

10. Mac1958

Mac1958 Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,501

I'm not sure that I really need to say this, but on the other hand, perhaps I do:

Economic planning has to rely somewhat on dynamic analysis, i.e., looking beyond the numbers and anticipating behaviors created by new conditions. Economics is then, in some ways, an art as well as a science. I've noticed repeatedly that Democrats are far less likely to consider dynamic scoring, and I hope one day to find out why.

Neither candidate can lay claim to having the answers, as much as their little followers claim they can. We're in uncharted waters right now. But to completely ignore dynamic scoring is either economically naive or intellectually dishonest.