Romney's emotional story remembered very differently by friend of fallen SEAL

Bfgrn

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2009
87238.JPG

On the stump in Iowa, Mitt Romney revealed that he met former Navy SEAL
Glen Doherty at a holiday party some years ago. Doherty's friend, Elf Ellefsen,
says Doherty wouldn't want Mitt using him for the campaign.

On the stump in Iowa Tuesday, Mitt Romney revealed that he met former Navy SEAL Glen Doherty at a holiday party some years ago. Doherty is one of four Americans killed during the September 11th attack on the American consulate in Benghazi.

Romney's story started out lighthearted, as he recounted how he and Ann mistook a holiday gathering across the street for their neighborhood party, and he ended up talking to Doherty. "He skied in some of the places I had. We had a lot of things in common," Romney said of Doherty. Both men are from Massachusetts.

"He told me that he keeps going back to the Middle East. He cares very deeply about the people there. He served in the military there, went back from time to time to offer security services and so forth to people there. You can imagine how I felt when I found out that he was one of the two former Navy SEALS killed in Benghazi on September 11th."

Romney was visibly emotional during the story, and the video of the speech was repeated throughout the day on network and cable news.

But one of Glen Doherty's best friends remembered Doherty's impression of this meeting much differently.

Ellefsen said Doherty recalled meeting Mitt Romney years ago, but the account was much different from what the Presidential candidate retold in Iowa.

According to Ellefsen, Romney introduced himself to Doherty four separate times during the gathering.

"He said it was very comical," Ellefsen said, "Mitt Romney approached him ultimately four times, using this private gathering as a political venture to further his image. He kept introducing himself as Mitt Romney, a political figure. The same introduction, the same opening line. Glen believed it to be very insincere and stale."

Ellefsen said Doherty remembered Romney as robotic.

"He said it was pathetic and comical to have the same person come up to you within only a half hour, have this person reintroduce himself to you, having absolutely no idea whatsoever that he just did this 20 minutes ago, and did not even recognize Glen's face."

Romney's emotional story remembered very differently by friend of fallen SEAL - MyNorthwest.com

Forum List

Back