Romney's Brokaw ad

Out of line? Over the top? Likely to backfire?

I have mixed feelings about it.

NBC Demands Romney Remove Ad, Brokaw 'Extremely Uncomfortable' - Politics - The Atlantic Wire

First off, the charges that Brokaw talks about were legit and Newt was never exonerated. His non-profit was. He wasn't. Everything presented in the ad is factually correct and Brokaw, as a public news anchorman, should know that anyone can use his image in this way.

Having said that, I totally back Brokaw. His image is being used, legally, but being used to make it appear he supports Romney or is anti-Gingrich. Either way, it hurts Brokaw's reputation as an unbiased news reporter, and that hurts his career.

Not cool by the Romney camp.

only an idiot would interpret it as an endorsement of romney by brokaw.

So ... regular GOP voters then?

First off, the charges that Brokaw talks about were legit and Newt was never exonerated. His non-profit was. He wasn't. Everything presented in the ad is factually correct and Brokaw, as a public news anchorman, should know that anyone can use his image in this way.

Having said that, I totally back Brokaw. His image is being used, legally, but being used to make it appear he supports Romney or is anti-Gingrich. Either way, it hurts Brokaw's reputation as an unbiased news reporter, and that hurts his career.

Not cool by the Romney camp.

only an idiot would interpret it as an endorsement of romney by brokaw.

So ... regular GOP voters then?

And what GOP voter would be influenced to vote FOR Romney if Brokaw had endorsed him? I would expect quite the opposite.

knowing what we know now? frankly its way out of line, its a borderline lie.

interesting though in that I might wager the ranch that brokaw never made any type of restitution ala clearing Gingrich on air, when the irs made their ruling.

Its also interesting in seeing this, then brokaws non reading out of say bill Clinton or similarly highly posted dems....etc.....

why is the actual ad not linked?:eusa_eh:is it in there? I could not find one...

from the fucking article:

And the Romney campaign? Their official stance is that they have yet to receive any cease-and-desist notices from NBC. Staffers seem to be energized by the controversy, however: Romney spokeswoman Andrea Saul tweeted, "Watch the @MittRomney ad that has everyone abuzz here! http://mi.tt/zn4wR3 #Mitt2012" earlier this morning.

History Lesson | Mitt Romney for President

NBC Demands Romney Remove Ad, Brokaw 'Extremely Uncomfortable' - Politics - The Atlantic Wire

could it be worse than dan rathers forged documents

this is an attempt to distract/hault the process republican run off b/c the media realizes barry isn't in the spot light and barry has to trip over his tongue to be heard.

notice how this headline gets kick to the curb, last page....
que it: created 22 million jobs scratch 3 million jobs...pathetic
Obama: I

Last edited:

Not sure that NBC has anything to say about it. It's legally protected political speech.

Of course, it's dishonest, but we are talking about politicians here.

I'm more concerned about the 109 million dollar fine Bain-owned Damon Medical paid for defrauding Medicare than the 300,000 fine Newt paid for teaching a college course,

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVUQuJDEs04]Winning Our Future | Blood Money [FULL] - YouTube[/ame]

knowing what we know now? frankly its way out of line, its a borderline lie.

interesting though in that I might wager the ranch that brokaw never made any type of restitution ala clearing Gingrich on air, when the irs made their ruling.

Its also interesting in seeing this, then brokaws non reading out of say bill Clinton or similarly highly posted dems....etc.....

why is the actual ad not linked?:eusa_eh:is it in there? I could not find one...

from the fucking article:

And the Romney campaign? Their official stance is that they have yet to receive any cease-and-desist notices from NBC. Staffers seem to be energized by the controversy, however: Romney spokeswoman Andrea Saul tweeted, "Watch the @MittRomney ad that has everyone abuzz here! http://mi.tt/zn4wR3 #Mitt2012" earlier this morning.

History Lesson | Mitt Romney for President

I didn't see it dumbass, gee whiz sorry about that:eek:..........thx for weighing in on the topic though...:rolleyes:

I guess that Romney and his advisors know whether it is dishonest or not.

But there sure seems to be a lot of confusion among people posting here as to whether it is.

Folks aren't even clear on whether Gingrich was actually exonerated by the IRS, much less how much of the whole mess he brought onto himself by any other shady/careless activities.

But there sure seems to be a lot of confusion among people posting here as to whether it is.

Folks aren't even clear on whether Gingrich was actually exonerated by the IRS, much less how much of the whole mess he brought onto himself by any other shady/careless activities.

again, there's no confusion at all... except maybe on the part of stupid people.

The Democrats launched an investigation, filed 84 ethics charges, 83 were rejected, one was just odd enough to get by. The IRS investigated and found Newt did nothing wrong.

Compare that to Damon Medical, where this company run by Bain overcharged medicare, were assessed a 109 million dollar fine, and Mittens made a half million in profit...

yeah, newt resigned and forked over $300k because he was innocent; that's what all the innocent people do.

it really doesn't matter at this point; newt's done, but he'll sell a few extra books, so it's all good.

:rofl:

yeah, newt resigned and forked over $300k because he was innocent; that's what all the innocent people do.

it really doesn't matter at this point; newt's done, but he'll sell a few extra books, so it's all good.

So if Newt forking over 300K is bad, what about Damon Medical forking over 109M?

That seems a bit worse, doncha think?

You're right, after Mittens loses to Obama, Newt will sell a bunch of books to the GOP about how bad they messed it up.

again, there's no confusion at all... except maybe on the part of stupid people.

The Democrats launched an investigation, filed 84 ethics charges, 83 were rejected, one was just odd enough to get by. The IRS investigated and found Newt did nothing wrong.

Compare that to Damon Medical, where this company run by Bain overcharged medicare, were assessed a 109 million dollar fine, and Mittens made a half million in profit...

Factually incorrect.

I.R.S. Clears Foundation Linked to Gingrich's Ethics Dispute - NYTimes.com

In a case involving the ethics violations that led the House of Representatives to reprimand former Speaker Newt Gingrich in 1997, the Internal Revenue Service has cleared a private foundation close to Mr. Gingrich of breaking tax laws.

The I.R.S. ruling, in favor of the Progress and Freedom Foundation, does not directly exonerate Mr. Gingrich. But it suggests that he did not illegally use tax-exempt money for political purposes, one of the main accusations against him.

Factually incorrect.

In a case involving the ethics violations that led the House of Representatives to reprimand former Speaker Newt Gingrich in 1997, the Internal Revenue Service has cleared a private foundation close to Mr. Gingrich of breaking tax laws.

The I.R.S. ruling, in favor of the Progress and Freedom Foundation, does not directly exonerate Mr. Gingrich. But it suggests that he did not illegally use tax-exempt money for political purposes, one of the main accusations against him.

Except that was the only accusation they had... little details like that.

Factually incorrect.

Except that was the only accusation they had... little details like that.

You didn't read what I posted.

They exonerated his organization, not him. There is a difference.

Forum List

Back