Romney Wont Release His Tax Returns?

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
If thisis true it is a second major issue related to Romney the press is basically just ignoring like his destruction of government documents in the last days of his serving as govenor of Massachussettes.

DNC video asks ‘What is Mitt Romney hiding’ in tax returns – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

CNN) - Mitt Romney's refusal to release his income-tax return became the object of national Democrats' indignation Friday with the release of a web video accusing the GOP hopeful of breaking with a longstanding political tradition.

The Democratic National Committee's spot, called "What is Mitt Romney Hiding," flips though past Republican presidential candidates who have released their income-tax information. The DNC highlights one notable example - George Romney, the candidate's father...

In a release accompanying the video, DNC National Press Secretary Melanie Roussell predicted what would be revealed on Mitt Romney's tax release.

"It would show that on the millions of dollars in income he enjoys each year, Mitt Romney pays a lower tax rate than teachers, fire fighters, police officers or other middle class wage earners," Roussell wrote. "Mitt Romney will tell you that it's not required by the law that he release his returns but when he's advocating for policies that benefit the wealthy and the well-heeled, voters have a right to know what conflicts he might have with his own finances."

Romney repeated Wednesday on CNN's "The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer" that he wasn't planning to release his tax forms, but left the door open for future disclosures.

But is that all that Romney is hiding?

Personally, had the GOP establishment not decided to ram Romney through no matter what, I would have liked him as a candidate. But since the show no respect for the democratic process, since they are apparently crypto-fascists, I would rather vote for Obama anyday than Romnuts.

But why is this getting so little coverage and discussion?

Romney has serious legal and ethical issues that far outweigh temporary loss of memory in a debate or the exact circumstances for a divorce decades ago.

Romnuts is a sure loser in the general election and this is just one more thing that proves it.

"Text on the screen reads: "For decades, Republican candidates for president have released their tax returns." The examples date from 2008, showing pictures of Arizona Sen. John McCain and former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, to the George Romney case from 1968. Then governor of Michigan, George Romney unsuccessfully sought the Republican nomination for president in 1968"

Only elected officials have to release their tax returns.
Interesting that the three mentioned in this article were elected officials at the time they were running for another public office.

"Mitt Romney will tell you that it's not required by the law that he release his returns..."

And Romney would be right.

The issue seems to be clear. He is paying a tax rate that is very low. That is not his fault. He has accountants smart enough to take advantage of every loophole afforded to people who have assets. We have to remember, what probably gets him there is things like philanthropic dealings. But what is wrong is not closing these loopholes so those tax holes don't give these tax advatanges to the rich.

Their fair share of taxes should be a fair rate substantially higher than ours.

He hasn't done anything wrong. The laws are wrong.

Has Romney even held a job or political office in the last five years?

His resume says he spent the past 3 years as CEO and spokesman of "Free and Strong America", a conservative political action committee.

2007-2008: Candidate for President of the United States. Delivers the historic “Faith in America” speech in December 2007 at the Reagan Library.

2008-2011: CEO and spokesman for the Free and Strong America PAC, an organization supporting conservative candidates across the nation.

2011: Romney announces his candidacy for President of the United States, urging Americans to Believe in America.

Mitt Romney’s Resume’ Speaks Volumes | America Needs Mitt

"Text on the screen reads: "For decades, Republican candidates for president have released their tax returns." The examples date from 2008, showing pictures of Arizona Sen. John McCain and former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, to the George Romney case from 1968. Then governor of Michigan, George Romney unsuccessfully sought the Republican nomination for president in 1968"

Only elected officials have to release their tax returns.
Interesting that the three mentioned in this article were elected officials at the time they were running for another public office.

"Mitt Romney will tell you that it's not required by the law that he release his returns..."

And Romney would be right.

Well, that's fine. By law he's not required to.

But frankly, I think it's a matter of honesty. Is there something in his tax records he doesn't want us to see? Something that he thinks is going to cost him votes. (Not my vote, since I won't vote for the guy, anyway.)

It's a bad sign when the guy is being secretive from the get-go. I mean both this and the destruction of internal correpsondence from his Governor days.

Just more of the double standard by libs..... no release of documents of
legal citizen status
school records showing citizenship status
college documents releases by "other" politicians
reason social security number is suspicious
passport used to travel to Pakistan

all, defended and protected by dems/libs/progs/etc

But, yet the same people are crying because they cannot get documents to comb thru from republican/conservative canidates to "destroy" them. Please talk to me after you demand the above documents from the pretender in the White House.

Has Romney even held a job or political office in the last five years?

His resume says he spent the past 3 years as CEO and spokesman of "Free and Strong America", a conservative political action committee.

2007-2008: Candidate for President of the United States. Delivers the historic “Faith in America” speech in December 2007 at the Reagan Library.

2008-2011: CEO and spokesman for the Free and Strong America PAC, an organization supporting conservative candidates across the nation.

2011: Romney announces his candidacy for President of the United States, urging Americans to Believe in America.

Mitt Romney’s Resume’ Speaks Volumes | America Needs Mitt

so that would be a "No" then.

I think he joked about being "unemployed" this year, like that was supposed to be funny or something to people who are afraid of losing their homes and families.

Sweet Evil Jesus, am I the only guy who sees what an absolute disaster this joker is going to be as a nominee?

If thisis true it is a second major issue related to Romney the press is basically just ignoring like his destruction of government documents in the last days of his serving as govenor of Massachussettes.

DNC video asks ‘What is Mitt Romney hiding’ in tax returns – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

CNN) - Mitt Romney's refusal to release his income-tax return became the object of national Democrats' indignation Friday with the release of a web video accusing the GOP hopeful of breaking with a longstanding political tradition.

The Democratic National Committee's spot, called "What is Mitt Romney Hiding," flips though past Republican presidential candidates who have released their income-tax information. The DNC highlights one notable example - George Romney, the candidate's father...

In a release accompanying the video, DNC National Press Secretary Melanie Roussell predicted what would be revealed on Mitt Romney's tax release.

"It would show that on the millions of dollars in income he enjoys each year, Mitt Romney pays a lower tax rate than teachers, fire fighters, police officers or other middle class wage earners," Roussell wrote. "Mitt Romney will tell you that it's not required by the law that he release his returns but when he's advocating for policies that benefit the wealthy and the well-heeled, voters have a right to know what conflicts he might have with his own finances."

Romney repeated Wednesday on CNN's "The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer" that he wasn't planning to release his tax forms, but left the door open for future disclosures.

But is that all that Romney is hiding?

Personally, had the GOP establishment not decided to ram Romney through no matter what, I would have liked him as a candidate. But since the show no respect for the democratic process, since they are apparently crypto-fascists, I would rather vote for Obama anyday than Romnuts.

But why is this getting so little coverage and discussion?

Romney has serious legal and ethical issues that far outweigh temporary loss of memory in a debate or the exact circumstances for a divorce decades ago.

Romnuts is a sure loser in the general election and this is just one more thing that proves it.

He knows that numbnuts like you will only hold his enormous wealth against him, so he is withholding the details until he is legally bound to disclose them, which is not in fact an ethical issue at all, except to those who want to smear him and manipulate public perception AS IF he has done anything wrong...

The issue seems to be clear. He is paying a tax rate that is very low. That is not his fault. He has accountants smart enough to take advantage of every loophole afforded to people who have assets. We have to remember, what probably gets him there is things like philanthropic dealings. But what is wrong is not closing these loopholes so those tax holes don't give these tax advatanges to the rich.

Their fair share of taxes should be a fair rate substantially higher than ours.

He hasn't done anything wrong. The laws are wrong.

True enough.

But I think Romney's biggest problem with the voters (after the fact he belongs to a whackadoo cult, but we aren't ever supposed to talk about that) is that he comes off as a guy of privilage, who has never gotten dirt under his perfectly manicured fingernails, who has never had to worry about a mortgage payment or a utility bill. Someone who put working stiffs out of jobs while he bought himself a few more mansions.

And finding out that he was able to hire accountants to find a bunch of dodges to not even pay a reasonable rate on that would just be another example of "One law for the Rich".

My question is to Republicans, why are we walking into this trap?

Oh, that's right. Because he's "electable". Really.

He knows that numbnuts like you will only hold his enormous wealth against him, so he is withholding the details until he is legally bound to disclose them, which is not in fact an ethical issue at all, except to those who want to smear him and manipulate public perception AS IF he has done anything wrong...

You mean not being candid with the voters isn't an ethical issue?

You know what, I want a president who is going to level with me. Not one who is going to try to hide stuff that people might make fun of.

This is par for the course with this guy.

I'll ask the question again.

Why should anyone have to make public their personal documents and medical records simply because they are running for elected office?

You know what, I want a president who is going to level with me. Not one who is going to try to hide stuff that people might make fun of.

Why are you hiding Obamas tax return?

If this is true it is a second major issue related to Romney the press is basically just ignoring like his destruction of government documents in the last days of his serving as governor of Massachusetts.

:eusa_liar: :eusa_liar: :eusa_liar:

It was widely reported and confirmed that Romney did nothing out of the ordinary in allowing his staffers to purchase their own hard drives at the end of his term.

The records issue has been well documented in recent months. Romney acknowledged in November that staff members purchased their computer hard drives as they left office. He maintained his staff did not break the law, and last month PolitiFact checked his claim that if they had turned over their records to the following administration, they would have been first. We rated the claim True.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...ys-mitt-romney-and-staff-cost-massachusetts-/

Why should anyone have to make public their personal documents and medical records simply because they are running for elected office?

Because they have a button at their desk that blows up the whole planet, and we need transparency.

For instance, I would want to know if the president had terminal cancer. Kind of important when he can blow up the whole world in a fit of depression, don't you think.

Look, the only reason Rombot 2000 doesn't want to release his tax records is because they will expose him as a clueless rich guy who probably isn't even paying his fair share due to accounting tricks.

Why the GOP is going along with the gag is the mystery to me.

Why are you hiding Obamas tax return?

My understanding is Obama releases his tax returns and has for years.

President Obama and Vice President Biden

Tim Geithner is sitting on Obamas tax return. Timmy was guilty of tax fraud...everyone knows this.

Because they have a button at their desk that blows up the whole planet, and we need transparency.

For instance, I would want to know if the president had terminal cancer. Kind of important when he can blow up the whole world in a fit of depression, don't you think.

Look, the only reason Rombot 2000 doesn't want to release his tax records is because they will expose him as a clueless rich guy who probably isn't even paying his fair share due to accounting tricks.

Why the GOP is going along with the gag is the mystery to me.

And someone's tax returns are the key to their mental stability when it comes to their penchant for global destruction?

I'm more concerned with the tax returns of sitting politicians who trade on information that no one else is privy to and who pass laws so they can benefit financially from them.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back