Romney wiping out Obamas lead in two key swing states

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
NationalJournal.com - Poll: Romney Ties Obama in Two Big Swing States - Thursday, May 3, 2012

Mitt Romney now runs neck-and-neck with President Obama in electoral-vote-rich Ohio and Florida, according to the latest installment of the Quinnipiac University Swing State Poll
In both states, the race has tightened since the previous poll conducted in late March. In Pennsylvania, Obama leads Romney in the race for the Keystone State's 20 electoral votes, the poll shows, putting the president is in a slightly stronger position there compared to the previous survey.

Romney's rise in two of the three critical states is fueled by voters' perceptions of the economy. Voters in Florida and Ohio think the former Massachusetts governor would do a better job with the economy, while Pennsylvania voters are split evenly on the question. And only a slight majority of voters in each state thinks the economy is beginning to recover.

"Romney's ability to cut into the president's leads in Ohio and Florida reflects two changes in the political environment," according to Peter Brown, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute. "First, since he is now the de facto nominee, Romney is no longer being attacked by his fellow Republicans, who are closing ranks behind him. Second, voter optimism about the economy has leveled off, reflecting economic statistics over the past month and the public reaction to them."

Voters in three states were also asked who they would like to see Romney choose as his running mate. Florida and Ohio voters favor native sons --Sens. Marco Rubio and Rob Portman, respectively -- while Pennsylvania voters prefer neighboring New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie.

Read the entire article using the link

Romney will probably see a bit of a bump after the RNC. But I seriously doubt it will last long. He's not even as good as McCain when it comes to connecting with average folks. And when his performance at the debates gets bundled into adverts..that's going to sting.

obama is going to keep Pennsylvania because of it's major city Killadelphia. When you have a major metropolitian area that has a large number of unsolved crimes and a propensity for mob attacks it's going to be firm obamaland.

Romney will probably see a bit of a bump after the RNC. But I seriously doubt it will last long. He's not even as good as McCain when it comes to connecting with average folks. And when his performance at the debates gets bundled into adverts..that's going to sting.

Actually if you take a really close look the polls are not showing much of a Romney surge the last three weeks. What they are showing is a declining trend in support for Obama. Nationwide everything has remained pretty steady at about 46/46. There's been a little more movement up and down with Romney's support but only by a point at most from week to week which is well within the margin for error.

But in Ohio for example, Romney's support the last two weeks has stayed steady at 42 while Obama has lost two points from 46 to 44. Now two polls over two consecutive weeks isn't much proof of a "trend", especially considering that two point drop is still within the margin of error. BUT the same thing has happened in Florida where Obama's support has dropped about 3.50 points in the last three weeks (there were no polls last week in Florida). Romney's support has stayed right at 44 or 45.

So it's early of course and a lot will happen between now and November...frankly we're seeing a lot of statistical ties, but the point is that Romney will close gaps between now and November as the GOP heals from wounds inflicted in the primaries, Romney picks a running mate, and the debates start (which will help Romney a lot more than it will help Obama).

If I were Obama or an Obama supporter I would be looking at these close margins in some of these critical states and I would be very concerned. There's not much of a gap that Romney needs to close.

The bump will be a snowball that doesn't stop until Nov. Wait for the debates! The telepromoter in chief will have to debate on his record and on the economy, Romney will kill him. Then you have Rubio/Christie/Rice etc against Joe Hair-plugs. Even Palin wooped him in the debates. Just let Joe talk!

This poll also shows though that he is still struggling with females.

But the good news there is that among women Obama held a 51/40 advantage three weeks ago. The only available data that we have on that this week shows a 49/42 advantage. That's a four point slide in three weeks. Again...too early and not enough data to prove a long term trend, but worth keeping an eye on.

The bump will be a snowball that doesn't stop until Nov. Wait for the debates! The telepromoter in chief will have to debate on his record and on the economy, Romney will kill him. Then you have Rubio/Christie/Rice etc against Joe Hair-plugs. Even Palin wooped him in the debates. Just let Joe talk!

Well remember that Obama is not a very strong debater. He reads a speech wonderfully but he's not very good at "pontificating on his toes" so to speak. Romney has looked very solid in the GOP primary debates. I anticipate Romney will own Obama in that area.

what does connecting with average folks even mean?

I think it's marxist code, for he's one of the evil rich.

Last edited:

Romney's going to get creamed in debates with Obama. His performance at the Republican debates was awful..and only "seemed" good because of his opponents.

I'd put Joe up against Rubio or Christie any day of the week. Rice? That would be a good debate.

Isn't it cute how all of the polls are called "bullshit" unless they show positives for the GOP fall back candidate?

what does even connecting with average folks mean?

When someone brings up "marxist", it generally smells of theocrat..or fascist.

Maybe even monarchist.

:eusa_whistle:

Romney's going to get creamed in debates with Obama. His performance at the Republican debates was awful..and only "seemed" good because of his opponents.

I'd put Joe up against Rubio or Christie any day of the week. Rice? That would be a good debate.

Link to any debate Rice was involved with?

what does even connecting with average folks mean?

When someone brings up "marxist", it generally smells of theocrat..or fascist.

Maybe even monarchist.

:eusa_whistle:

:confused:

That's not what I am going by..

She's extremely intelligent and well spoken.

That's not what I am going by..

She's extremely intelligent and well spoken.

So is Obama, but the man can't debate a lick.

Forum List

Back