Romney wins Iowa by 8 votes

Why is it a "prejudice"?

Frankly, I never have understood why being critical of a belief system becomes off limits if you call it a "religion".

People who think Obama was born in Kenya are nuts.

People who think Bush blew up the World Trade Center are nuts.

People who think aliens from Zeta Reticuli are kidnapping Americans with the consent of our government are nuts.

People who think Joseph Smith was talking to God and God told him to have sex with those teenage girls are nuts.

Only one of those nutty belief system deserves "reverence" like race or ethnicity because they've managed to dress it up as a "religion" and put the silliness in a gilded book?

Agreed.

Looking askance at a supposedly mature and intelligent adult who wears magic underwear isn't "predjudice". Its common sense!

Besides, the Mormons really are nutz. I have a really crazy sister who married a morm and jeeeez - they have some really whacked beliefs.

The Mormons run a large national assisted living chain for seniors. And they do an excellent and fair job doing it.
I know many. They are fine people. I have relatives that live in their first class facilities.
I have worked for many attorneys that are Mormon also. They are also fine people.
Just like all Baptists are not the same, not all Mormons are the same.
The boogeyman ain't going to get you so grow up.

It is very unlikely that anyone as weak, hateful, and obsessed as some of these bigots (about faith, race, etc) will ever grow up.

Why is it a "prejudice"?

Frankly, I never have understood why being critical of a belief system becomes off limits if you call it a "religion".

People who think Obama was born in Kenya are nuts.

People who think Bush blew up the World Trade Center are nuts.

People who think aliens from Zeta Reticuli are kidnapping Americans with the consent of our government are nuts.

People who think Joseph Smith was talking to God and God told him to have sex with those teenage girls are nuts.

Only one of those nutty belief system deserves "reverence" like race or ethnicity because they've managed to dress it up as a "religion" and put the silliness in a gilded book?

And people that judge a man by his religion are PRE JUDGING him based on what they perceive he may do because of those beliefs.
Go ahead and do it all you want and I do not care. Does not bother me.
But when you deny it and attempt to put another spin to it don't think I will buy into it.
You can put perfume on a hog and what you have is still a hog.
As hard as you may try to spin it, you can never polish a turd.

There's no "pre-judging" him at all. He's said straight up he's proud of his Mormon beliefs.

In 2008, he said he welcomed questions about his religion. Today the subject is off limits. Probably because a few people actually asked those questions in 2008.

If he really believes that ancient Hebrews built a vast civiization in America and he's going to rule his own planet in the afterlife, I think that would be as good a reason to reject him as irrational as if he believes he got an anal probe from a gray alien.

Ok, what questions do you have about his religion?
Where did he state any of that?
Many of us Christians do not believe the story of Noah and other stories in the Bible.
Again, where has he stated he believed what you just wrote?

Many of us Christians do not believe the story of Noah and other stories in the Bible.

Mormons don't have the right to Cherry Pick what they do and don't believe.

For instance, when I was a Catholic (until about age 21 or so), the nuns told us the story of Noah like it was true. God drowned those babies because they were "wiiiicked". By High School, the Christian Brothers admitted it was either a myth or an embellishment of a story about a real flood in Mesopotemia. I figured out it was bullshit,and got into trouble for questioning it even then.

But here's the key. The person who wrote that down wasn't engaging in fraud. He was writign down stories he heard and for all he knew, were true. Modern Christians can reject it as a myth and it doesn't take away one iota from their beliefs.

Joseph Smith doesn't get the same wiggle room. Either he was making stuff up, or he was really talking to God. And Mormons think he was really talking to God.

Mitt Romney is a Mormon. He thinks Joseph Smith was a prophet who talked to God. Forget about the overwealming proof Smith was a con man and a liar, or that his prophecies have all failed to come true. Or that things he claimed were holy writing (The Kinderhook Tablets, the Book of Abraham Papyrus) have been exposed as fakes.

Therefore, it is fair game for me to judge him based on what he believes.. and he doesn't get a pass because he dresses up these silly beliefs as "religion".

Also, honestly, Mormons I've encountered were snaky and really creeped me out.

For instance, when I was a Catholic (until about age 21 or so), the nuns told us the story of Noah like it was true. God drowned those babies because they were "wiiiicked". By High School, the Christian Brothers admitted it was either a myth or an embellishment of a story about a real flood in Mesopotemia. I figured out it was bullshit,and got into trouble for questioning it even then.

But here's the key. The person who wrote that down wasn't engaging in fraud. He was writign down stories he heard and for all he knew, were true. Modern Christians can reject it as a myth and it doesn't take away one iota from their beliefs.

Joseph Smith doesn't get the same wiggle room. Either he was making stuff up, or he was really talking to God. And Mormons think he was really talking to God.

Mitt Romney is a Mormon. He thinks Joseph Smith was a prophet who talked to God. Forget about the overwealming proof Smith was a con man and a liar, or that his prophecies have all failed to come true. Or that things he claimed were holy writing (The Kinderhook Tablets, the Book of Abraham Papyrus) have been exposed as fakes.

Therefore, it is fair game for me to judge him based on what he believes.. and he doesn't get a pass because he dresses up these silly beliefs as "religion".

Tell us what you believe and I will let Romney tell us what he believes.

You have 6603 posts about what I believe, and I've been more straightforward than Romney has.

More to the point, how can we know what Romney believes if he refuses to talk about it and the subject is "off limits"? Your whole premise is that he's just joshing us about really believing in Magic Underwear just like he was joshing those folks in Massachusetts when he said was all for abortion... Or maybe he's joshing people now when he says he's against abortion.

You have 6603 posts about what I believe, and I've been more straightforward than Romney has.

More to the point, how can we know what Romney believes if he refuses to talk about it and the subject is "off limits"? Your whole premise is that he's just joshing us about really believing in Magic Underwear just like he was joshing those folks in Massachusetts when he said was all for abortion... Or maybe he's joshing people now when he says he's against abortion.

No, no and nope.
I could care less what any candidate says about abortion.
Abortion is a non issue. There will be no national amendment.

No, no and nope.
I could care less what any candidate says about abortion.
Abortion is a non issue. There will be no national amendment.

I think you missed my point.

An honest politician would say this... "You know what, we only have abortion because a lot of women are too stupid to control their own genitals. But as a pure practical matter, you will never be able to outlaw it, so it might as well be legal."

My problem with Romney is not what he actually believes, but apparently what his position is shifts according to who he's trying to patronize this week. He's a shifty character who tells you what he thinks you want to hear.

No, yes, all politicians do that to a certain degree, but Romney does that on Steroids.

Heck, I think that he'd probably renounce Mormonism if a pollster told him it was the only way he could win.

Forum List

Back