Romney To Nevadans: I Don’t Know ‘What The Purpose Is’ Of Public Lands

For the same reason that it owns nearly that much of Oregon. Empty lands that had to be protected against use that damaged it and the people that depend on it. Much of this land is easily damaged, much is watersheds for the areas that are usable for agriculture and urban areas.

Most of Nevada is desert, not watersheds, want to try again?

Most of Eastern Oregon is high desert and also a watershed. Look, why don't you spend a few years outside of the urban environment in the natural environments and learn the reality of the land.

For the same reason that it owns nearly that much of Oregon. Empty lands that had to be protected against use that damaged it and the people that depend on it. Much of this land is easily damaged, much is watersheds for the areas that are usable for agriculture and urban areas.

Most of Eastern Oregon is high desert and also a watershed. Look, why don't you spend a few years outside of the urban environment in the natural environments and learn the reality of the land.

^^^^^
getting all grizzly adams on us, huh?

what a load of shyte- you don't know why any more than romney does :lol:

The federal government owns that land because they stole it fair and square from the Indians and no one has tried to do a thing with it since.

^^^^^

Fuck you too, Del. You know far less about this than I do. And your posts prove it.

^^^^^

Fuck you too, Del. You know far less about this than I do. And your posts prove it.

i know that 50% isn't nearly 80%. i know that 80% of nevada isn't watershed.

let's start there and then you can show off you're wikipedic knowledge of all things green.

hack

SBmap648.gif

The Hispanic Experience - Stolen Birthright

He was asked a question on a subject he had no knowledge on. He asked a question so he could make an informed answer.
Do you suppose, even now, barack obama knows why the federal government owns so much land in Nevada?

I bet he'll know before the first debate though, now that it's become an issue.

So Lakhota, besides military bases, why DOES the federal government own most of Nevada?

Most probaly because Nevadans have made no prospectus of anything to do with it except perhaps another 'Mustang Ranch'.

It's not up to Nevada to offeer a prospectus. It's their land. Other than National Parks, military bases and plots for federal buildings, the feds should turn ALL lands over to the states or pay property taxes on them.

He was asked a question on a subject he had no knowledge on. He asked a question so he could make an informed answer.
Do you suppose, even now, barack obama knows why the federal government owns so much land in Nevada?

So Lakhota, besides military bases, why DOES the federal government own most of Nevada?

Ernie, let's cut to the chase: FUCK YOU! You retarded keyboard bullies just get the negging over with and skip the foreplay.

Ernie S. said:
Hi, you have received -321 reputation points from Ernie S..
Reputation was given for this post.

Comment:
You got it, asshole!

Regards,
Ernie S.

Note: This is an automated message.

Thanks, Ernie. I knew you couldn't resist. Now, about those pimp whitewalls...

Ernie, let's cut to the chase: FUCK YOU! You retarded keyboard bullies just get the negging over with and skip the foreplay.

You asked for it.
You got it.
Lakhota

Whining about neg rep again? I'm disappointed.

He was whining in anticipation of neg rep. I'm proud to say I did not disappoint him.

Why do you think the federal government needs to own 80% of Nevada, which is almost all desert?

By Jessica Goad

Former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney likes to sing about America the beautiful, but he mainly seems interested in mining it.

In an interview with the editorial board of the Reno Gazette-Journal last night, Mitt Romney expressed his ignorance of why the United States owns and manages approximately 80 percent of Nevada‘s land, most of it uninhabitable mountains and desert. In response to a question about whether he would sell public lands back to the state, Romney stated that that “I haven’t studied it, what the purpose is of the land”:

Like most of the silver spoon set, he has no inkling of his connection to the land. Food is what you find in supermarkets, and clean water is what you get out of a fawcet.

What is your "connection" to the desert in Nevada?

The way you protect land from use that damages it is to sell it. People don't destroy land they own.

How is a desert "watershed?"

The Nevada Test Site, 65 miles (105 km) northwest of the city of Las Vegas, was founded on January 11, 1951, for the testing of nuclear weapons. The site is composed of approximately 1,350 square miles (3,500 km2) of desert and mountainous terrain. Nuclear testing at the Nevada Test Site began with a 1 kilotonne of TNT (4.2 TJ) bomb dropped on Frenchman Flat on January 27, 1951. The last atmospheric test was conducted on July 17, 1962, and the underground testing of weapons continued until September 23, 1992. The location is known for having the highest concentration of nuclear-detonated weapons in the U.S.

Over 80% of the state's area is owned by the federal government. The primary reason for this is that homesteads were not permitted in large enough sizes to be viable in the arid conditions that prevail throughout desert Nevada. Instead, early settlers would homestead land surrounding a water source, and then graze livestock on the adjacent public land, which is useless for agriculture without access to water (this pattern of ranching still prevails).

Nevada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What "reality of the land" requires the Federal government to own it? How much of New York does the government own? Most of New York is in fact a watershed. In fact, the entire United States is mostly watershed for one river or another.

That's a lie the gov't uses to take peoples land from them. People have been living on the land for thousands of years. The idea that they're going to destroy it by merely using it is almost as stupid as believing the gov't is going to "take care" of it.

Last edited:
The federal government owns that land because they stole it fair and square from the Indians and no one has tried to do a thing with it since.

That still doesn't explain why the land hasn't been auctioned off or given away in some program like the Homestead Act.

Forum List

Back