Romney to cut 280,000 Jobs. Just ask him.

Ah, poor candycorn............

Probably has me on Ignore. What a pity!

Could some kind soul put her out of her misery and explain what "via attrition" means?

No pink slips. No unemployment checks. No rise in the unemployment numbers.

Poor baby!! :badgrin:

A masters degree in engineering, and a NYS PE license.

My issue isnt with the hiring of Civil servants, its the fact that once hired it is almost impossible to get rid of them, even if thier jobs become redundant, or they stop performing up to the level expected of them.

I too have a Master's Degree and was a manager in law enforcement , for a while I was assigned to personnel which included all of which I listed above plus discipline, including recommending to the hiring authority termination. Civil service terminations are difficult, and more so in the LE Careers - for good reason, but hardly impossible.
In the first year during probation I could simply ask for badge and ID and tell employee only this, "a law enforcement career is not for everyone"; to say more created huge problems and space here limits further detail. No cause was ever provided when terminating probationary deputies beyond that phrase.

An internal affairs investigation takes time and costs money. It is much more economical to discipline and train officers than to fire them. When they bring discredit to the agency or are a risk to pubic safety they are put on paid leave until fired. Hence, the cost and time involved in the hiring process is necessary and usually sufficient; the vast majority of are employees do a great job under stressful circumstances and are fine citizens.

In California, post prop 13, few local government jobs become redundant. Today, highly educated and highly paid professionals spent time doing what were at one time clerical functions. Police officers/deputy sheriffs/probation and parole agents and even prosecuting attorneys spend time filing, copying and searching for documents once a duty of the least senior clerical staff.

I've always wondered about a city's homicide division. If you have enough homicides to have an entire division, isn't that a failure right out of the box? I mean, I'm sure there is a need for it and I'm not saying there shouldn't be cops assigned to homicide etc... But one would have to wonder what was going through the mayor's mind when they became the first city to have full-time cops to investigate the murders that the rest of the police force couldn't prevent.

Just rambling on I guess.

Let me ask you another question though. I always hear about someone getting busted for soliciting a hit-man (or hit-woman) to kill their spouse. Is there some sort of secret compact cops have with guys who they know are assassins but are so good at it that they don't get caught/prosecuted? I mean, you don't hear about informants as often in any other crime it seems.

I suppose the obvious answer to your first question is a question, how does one prevent a homicide? If you know there are several American cities who would hire you as the top cop.

Social service agencies are the ones who try to prevent homicides, domestic violence, child abuse and gang intervention programs are the most well known. It's obvious that their work does prevent murder, but how does one prove a negative?

A homicide investigation includes personnel from several division and a number of other agencies and reports can be many volumes. Keep in mind the tools available to CSI are from the imagination of the writers. Witnesses need to be ferreted out and many times are too scared to report what they saw. Witness statements rarely agree and sometimes conflict with the physical evidence. Keep in mind investigators work as hard to rule out the innocent as to arrest the guilty.

I have no experience with Murder for Hire. Most of my experience with violent crime is related to gang violence and domestic violence and in these areas police officers and sheriff deputies, probation and parole agents, the courts and the bar association, prosecutors, social worker's, batterer's programs, women's shelters, the faith community and therapists work as a team when funds are available. We were lucky (actually we were good) in that we wrote and received VAWA (violence against women act) grants allowing for interdisciplinary training of all stake holders.

Romney is going to be another disappointment.

My wish is that he eliminate the Departments of Education and Energy for starters and I know he never will

The Governor pledges to cut 10% of Federal Government Jobs. From his website:

Reduce The Federal Workforce By 10 Percent Via Attrition — Savings: $4 Billion. Despite widespread layoffs in the private sector, President Obama has continued to grow the federal payrolls. The federal workforce can be reduced by 10 percent through a “1-for-2” system of attrition, thereby reducing the number of federal employees while allowing the introduction of new talent into the federal service.

Free Republic's website place the figure at 2.8 million employees. So 10 percent will be 280,000 employees getting a pink slip with Romney being elected. Bain's business model inflicted on the US is a bad proposition.

The savings is $4B or something close to what, less than .5% of the federal debt?

Republicans generally want there to be less of everything.

Less poverty

Less unemployment

Less spending

Less debt

What's the problem?

Reduce The Federal Workforce By 10 Percent Via Attrition — Savings: $4 Billion. Despite widespread layoffs in the private sector, President Obama has continued to grow the federal payrolls. The federal workforce can be reduced by 10 percent through a “1-for-2” system of attrition, thereby reducing the number of federal employees while allowing the introduction of new talent into the federal service.

Free Republic's website place the figure at 2.8 million employees. So 10 percent will be 280,000 employees getting a pink slip with Romney being elected. Bain's business model inflicted on the US is a bad proposition.

The savings is $4B or something close to what, less than .5% of the federal debt?

The word "attrition" seems to have escaped most of you. That means that as people leave government through retirement of jobs in the private economy, they will not be replaced on a one for one basis. Consequently, no one will be fired or layed off.

The word "attrition" seems to have escaped most of you. That means that as people leave government through retirement of jobs in the private economy, they will not be replaced on a one for one basis. Consequently, no one will be fired or layed off.

Candycorn and ooh poo poo don't seem to understand that, probably doesn't fit with what they want to believe, so they choose to be stupid.

Candycorn and ooh poo poo don't seem to understand that, probably doesn't fit with what they want to believe, so they choose to be stupid.

You have a whole lot of gall to call anyone stupid. On some level you must know your limitations. Obvious to anyone who has read you posts.

Attrition works, but it will not benefit anyone if the jobs are then contracted out to the private sector - notwithstanding the Republican talking point, government employees are competent, capable and generally better educated than their private sector counterparts, particularly when they work for the low bidder.

You have a whole lot of gall to call anyone stupid. On some level you must know your limitations. Obvious to anyone who has read you posts.

Attrition works, but it will not benefit anyone if the jobs are then contracted out to the private sector - notwithstanding the Republican talking point, government employees are competent, capable and generally better educated than their private sector counterparts, particularly when they work for the low bidder.

Bullshit.
Government employees are among the laziest least motivated people I've seen. Something about getting the same pay no matter what the job performance does that to people.
But you'd certainly know what the low bidder is all about, cocksucker.

The economy has lost 600,000 public sector jobs since Obama became president. You should be happy.

God, keep it going.
Obviously government employment has overwhelmed the system to pay for it. It's about time the herd is being thinned.

I'd like to know how one can cut jobs but still need a bigger budget every year.

Baseline budgeting. All departments receive automatic budget increases each fiscal year whether the department requires the funding or not. This is why all department heads are reminded to spend ALL of their funding each FY....

Way to sing the unionized public employee anthem..What a crock of shit.
Try calling any state or federal agency and getting someone on the phone.
GO to the DMV or tax office and they act like the customers are doing you a favor.
Go to the post office and watch them go on their coffee break when the line is out the door.
Government employees that deal with the public have the worst reputation. Public workers take more sick days than private sector workers, work shorter days, can retire MUCH earlier and produce less in the same amount of time as a private sector employee.

Speaking of limitations, I am amazed you can put together complete sentences.

God, keep it going.
Obviously government employment has overwhelmed the system to pay for it. It's about time the herd is being thinned.

I'd like to know how one can cut jobs but still need a bigger budget every year.

Baseline budgeting. All departments receive automatic budget increases each fiscal year whether the department requires the funding or not. This is why all department heads are reminded to spend ALL of their funding each FY....

Well then if 600,000 workers have been cut what the hell are they spending that money on?

Herein lies the problem with government, there is absolutely no accountability.

Forum List

Back