Romney supports automatic hikes in minimum wage

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Matthew, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Matthew

Matthew Blue dog all the way!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,199
    Romney supports automatic hikes in minimum wage
    Yahoo ^ | 2/1/12 | David Espo and Kasie Hunt - ap

Romney supports automatic hikes in minimum wage - Yahoo! News

EAGAN, Minn. (AP) — Republican presidential contender Mitt Romney renewed his support Wednesday for automatic increases in the federal minimum wage to keep pace with inflation, a position sharply at odds with traditional GOP business allies, conservatives and the party's senior lawmakers.

"I haven't changed my thoughts on that," the former Massachusetts governor told reporters aboard his chartered campaign plane, referring to a stand he has held for a decade.

He did not say if he would ask Congress to approve the change if he wins the White House this fall.

Congress first enacted federal minimum wage legislation in 1938 and has raised it sporadically in the years since. The last increase, approved in 2007, took effect in three installments and reached $7.25 an hour for covered workers effective July 24, 2009.

It has never been allowed to rise automatically, as Romney envisions.

Organized labor generally supports increases in the minimum wage, and Romney's position could give him cross-over appeal among blue-collar Democrats in a general election campaign.

Republicans have generally opposed attempts to raise it, although in 1996, the GOP-controlled Congress passed an election-year increase that included a package of tax cuts for business and a subminimum wage to apply to new, younger employees.

----
    Yet, this is what go's for a republican now days. The republican party has become a party of the center or left of it. Yet, so called conservatives here think it is a'ok.

2. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Small, regular increases in the minimum wage allow business to forward plan, and removes the shock of a large unexpected one. Romney is wise to support this.... it's good for business, it's good for the workers, and it's good for America.

3. LibertyForAll

LibertyForAll Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +140
    This is what shrinks the middle class and devalues the dollar.

4. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    No, it doesn't.

5. Seawytch

Seawytch Information isnt Advocacy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,043
    Romney supports whatever is politically expedient at the moment.

The man has no core principals.

6. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Yea, he's only been consistent about the minimum wage for a decade.

Idiot.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Zander

Zander Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,892
    Bullshit. If that were true, he'd be a Democrat and sycophants like you would be defending him.

8. LibertyForAll

LibertyForAll Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +140
    How then is the cost of the wage increase offset? It can only be passed on to the consumer. If inflation is 3% and minimum wage goes up 3% that is a net gain of 6% on the price of goods. If my wage only goes up 3% then my money is now worth 3% less. My cost of living wage increase will always lag behind the real inflation rate. Companies aren't just going to eat the loss. I am open to hearing where I might be wrong though.

9. Cuyo

Cuyo Training a Guineapig army

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +942
    That may be, Cali, but let's be real. The man's a political weathervane.

10. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    I don't find him to be that.... he is a conservative. Being a conservative sometimes means supporting things that you personally do not agree with. This fact is often overlooked by both conservatives and non conservatives. For example, I totally understand Romney's stance on abortion. He is pro life. I am pro life. He agrees that he does not have the right to force that view on others. I always support other people's right to be pro choice. Because that's what real conservatism is about.

He works across party lines - he was Governor of one of our most liberal states so he learned how to work with the Dems to get the job done. I happen to agree with that. Partisan politics are killing this country. Your President has just made that worse - and he promised to make it better. He lied. I'd rather support Romney - who might be better than the current jackass in chief.