Romney Says Borrow Money from Your Parents to College Students

Mitt's best advice was to shop around. Of couse, Obama mocked him for that comment. Shop around for the best school, grant, loan, job, and scholarship in order to pay for college. Admissions offices have stacks of qualified applicants trying to get in. The huge supply of students combined with the large availability of government money has tuition skyrocketing. Meanwhile, the unemployment rate in the 18-25 demographic is very high. If they graduate, there are no jobs in which to help pay off the loans. Not everyone needs to attend college. I'm sure glad my two are done.

Shopping around is not an option for many kids, borrowing money from mom and dad, also not an option for most kids.

That's why romneys comment is jarring, because it shows a disconnect with average Americans and their struggles.

Sometimes those things are not options.. and sometimes, college right when you want it is also not an option...

As stated, this is a WANT, not a NEED.. and it is for adults who are supposed to be responsible for themselves

Everyone does not have a 'sugar daddy" like Romney had or a "sugar wife" like Ryan did. Romeny's father sent him to the best schools and gave him a million dollars to begin with. Me and my brother helped our mother back to school. I consider my famiy to be middle class and yet they did not have the money to send me to school. Most people that attend college pay their way and not expect hand outs from "daddy warbuck."

Not everyone needs to attend college. I'm sure glad my two are done.

Um, most companies require a degree to even get an interview. That is why most people get a degree, regardless of what it's in.

Uh.. no, they don't.. some positions may have a requirement of a degree or years of experience if there is no degree.. but not every company requires a degree... and if college students did not think they instantly qualified for these huge positions, thinking they are too big for the entry positions and working their way up, we would also have less of a problem....

Mitt's best advice was to shop around. Of couse, Obama mocked him for that comment. Shop around for the best school, grant, loan, job, and scholarship in order to pay for college. Admissions offices have stacks of qualified applicants trying to get in. The huge supply of students combined with the large availability of government money has tuition skyrocketing. Meanwhile, the unemployment rate in the 18-25 demographic is very high. If they graduate, there are no jobs in which to help pay off the loans. Not everyone needs to attend college. I'm sure glad my two are done.

Shopping around is not an option for many kids, borrowing money from mom and dad, also not an option for most kids.

That's why romneys comment is jarring, because it shows a disconnect with average Americans and their struggles.

Sometimes those things are not options.. and sometimes, college right when you want it is also not an option...

As stated, this is a WANT, not a NEED.. and it is for adults who are supposed to be responsible for themselves

I think we are on track for college to become a need, not a want. Although I agree right now, it's on the fence.

Uh.. no, they don't.. some positions may have a requirement of a degree or years of experience if there is no degree.. but not every company requires a degree... and if college students did not think they instantly qualified for these huge positions, thinking they are too big for the entry positions and working their way up, we would also have less of a problem....

Uh, yes the hell they do. And I'm not talking about lofty positions, but entry level. Go look up entry-level jobs in my sector on Monster or Careerbuilder if you don't believe me. That would be traffic / logistics. As with most companies hiring for a real living wage position. Most require at least a bachelor's degree.

Last edited:

I think we are on track for college to become a need, not a want. Although I agree right now, it's on the fence.

it may be something the individual thinks is a PERSONAL need.. but your personal need does not mean it is owed to you... you need to provide for your needs as an adult

it may be something the individual thinks is a PERSONAL need.. but your personal need does not mean it is owed to you... you need to provide for your needs as an adult

It used to be that you didn't need a high school diploma, now you do. Needs change and we need to keep up with the times if we're going to be competitive as a global market.

Uh, yes the hell they do. And I'm not talking about lofty positions, but entry level. Go look up entry-level jobs in my sector on Monster or Careerbuilder if you don't believe me. That would be traffic / logistics. As with most companies hiring for a real living wage position. Most require at least a bachelor's degree.

And certain positions such as engineer will always require a degree... but most companies do not have any company wide degree requirement.. which is what you stated

I work in high tech, and ALL the companies I have ever worked for (and there have been a LOT) ALWAYS have a statement that shows that a degree 'requirement' can be put aside with X amount of years experience in a field or in a series of types of positions....

It used to be that you didn't need a high school diploma, now you do. Needs change and we need to keep up with the times if we're going to be competitive as a global market.

High school is for MINORS.... you are talking ADULT education.. you as an adult are the only one responsible for your wants and needs...

This shows just exactly how out of touch Romney is. Hello, Mittens! Not everyone's parents have money like you do to lend to their kids. We know you live in your own little bubble which is why you can't represent all the people.

"Get Real" - Obama for America TV Ad - YouTube

Voiceover:
"Mitt Romney on how to pay for college and start a business..."

Mitt Romney:
"Take a risk, get the education, borrow money if you have to from your parents'"

Voiceover:
"Hope they can afford it."

"Romney's plans could cut college aid for nearly ten million students and eliminate the tax deduction for college tuition."

"President Obama eliminated bank middlemen from college loans... and used the savings to double college grants."

Mitt Romney:
"Take a risk, get the education, borrow money if you have to from your parents."

Voiceover:
"Get real, Mitt."

negged for proving yourself to be a retarded liar in your own post

Not everyone needs to attend college. I'm sure glad my two are done.

Um, most companies require a degree to even get an interview. That is why most people get a degree, regardless of what it's in.

That's what people seem to forget. Spending fifty thousand on an education does not automatically translate into a fifty thousand dollar per year salary. I would suggest someone going to College who thinks it should, probably doesn't belong in College in the first place.

High school is for MINORS.... you are talking ADULT education.. you as an adult are the only one responsible for your wants and needs...

Times. Change.

14 year olds used to be considered adults.

I'm simply saying, I think in the next 30 years, college will be considered a need, and we will be taking steps to make it free.

Everyone does not have a 'sugar daddy" like Romney had or a "sugar wife" like Ryan did. Romeny's father sent him to the best schools and gave him a million dollars to begin with. Me and my brother helped our mother back to school. I consider my famiy to be middle class and yet they did not have the money to send me to school. Most people that attend college pay their way and not expect hand outs from "daddy warbuck."

Where did you get the notion that the Fed gubmint exists to make your life fair?

Times. Change.

I'm simply saying, I think in the next 30 years, college will be considered a need, and we will be taking steps to make it free.

Fine.. try and make it that you are not an adult til you are 21.. but you then also take away things like VOTING... let's see how that flies

College may be a PERSONAL need (better stated as a WANT), but it is not a need as in something that you cannot live without.... but nothing should be just given to any adult for free (AKA at the expense of the taxpayer) even if it is a degree of need (See Maslov's hierarchy of needs on where something like this would actually sit)

Times. Change.

Fine.. try and make it that you are not an adult til you are 21.. but you then also take away things like VOTING... let's see how that flies

College may be a PERSONAL need (better stated as a WANT), but it is not a need as in something that you cannot live without.... but nothing should be just given to any adult for free (AKA at the expense of the taxpayer) even if it is a degree of need (See Maslov's hierarchy of needs on where something like this would actually sit)

Well you already cant drink or gamble until you're 21. *shrug* its the natural progress of our society when we are constantly extending our lives.

Used to be, you were married by 14 and dead by 35, now we are living well into our 90's. Used to be, you didn't need any sort of education to get a decent job, then it was a high school diploma and now it's quickly becoming a college education.

I don't think it's something to get angry about though.

Times. Change.

If you think it's a need then you ante up and pay for it... Quit asking others to finance your life for you.

Times. Change.

Well you already cant drink or gamble until you're 21. *shrug* its the natural progress of our society when we are constantly extending our lives.

Used to be, you were married by 14 and dead by 35, now we are living well into our 90's. Used to be, you didn't need any sort of education to get a decent job, then it was a high school diploma and now it's quickly becoming a college education.

I think any time that people think something is owed for personal wants and needs of adults for free (I.E. at the expense of someone else) IS something to get angry about

Times. Change.

If you think it's a need then you ante up and pay for it... Quit asking others to finance your life for you.
Read before you write, it will make you look less foolish.

I think any time that people think something is owed for personal wants and needs of adults for free (I.E. at the expense of someone else) IS something to get angry about

Who said anything about adults? I think we are absolutely headed to pushing the legal age to 21. Like I said, not not, not tomorrow, but within my lifetime, 30-40 years.

Forum List

Back