Romney Says Borrow Money from Your Parents to College Students

If the parents don't have the money those poor dear children could do like their parents probably did, get a J-O-B to pay for your college

but we will now be called...........OUT OF TOUCH:lol:

Many of them do have jobs but need assistance because the cost of education is rising. I don't begrudge kids getting an education with my tax dollars. It benefits us all in the long run.

You know what would 'benefit all of us'?? If those that are capable of working would do so and be responsible for the choices they make in life and the children they create. That would be their contribution that would 'benefit all of us'. It would be far more beneficial than the government stealing from responsible citizens for their resditribution programs that are specifically designed to keep us 'all in chains', as our esteemed vice president likes to say.

Mitt's best advice was to shop around. Of couse, Obama mocked him for that comment. Shop around for the best school, grant, loan, job, and scholarship in order to pay for college. Admissions offices have stacks of qualified applicants trying to get in. The huge supply of students combined with the large availability of government money has tuition skyrocketing. Meanwhile, the unemployment rate in the 18-25 demographic is very high. If they graduate, there are no jobs in which to help pay off the loans. Not everyone needs to attend college. I'm sure glad my two are done.

Shopping around is not an option for many kids, borrowing money from mom and dad, also not an option for most kids.

That's why romneys comment is jarring, because it shows a disconnect with average Americans and their struggles.

Mitt's best advice was to shop around. Of couse, Obama mocked him for that comment. Shop around for the best school, grant, loan, job, and scholarship in order to pay for college. Admissions offices have stacks of qualified applicants trying to get in. The huge supply of students combined with the large availability of government money has tuition skyrocketing. Meanwhile, the unemployment rate in the 18-25 demographic is very high. If they graduate, there are no jobs in which to help pay off the loans. Not everyone needs to attend college. I'm sure glad my two are done.

Shopping around is not an option for many kids, borrowing money from mom and dad, also not an option for most kids.

That's why romneys comment is jarring, because it shows a disconnect with average Americans and their struggles.

There is plenty of money out there for 'less fortunate' children and their families. It's those families who have responsible, working parents that make a decent income that get 'penalized'. And even then, there are plenty of funds available for the parents to borrow as well if they need it.

This is the world post 2008. Many of those parents not only don't have the money, they are desperately trying to hold onto their homes. Some are not even able to do that, they are living in the cars.

When there are many qualified men and women seeking employment at almost any wage, you are stating that a student with no experiance is just going to go out and find a job that will put a roof over his head, and food in his belly, as well as pay tuition and books. Remember when McD's advertised that they had 50,000 openings? And they had over a million applications. That is how bad the economy was, and it is picking up only slowly.

Over a period of six years, I got about three years worth of college credits while working full time. Then the 1972 price spiral hit, and I went back to my tools. There is no way that you are able to do your best when you are dividing up your time between a full time job and school.

Just the books these days cost as much as how much it cost me to go to college many years ago. It was attainable to work and go to school.

Not all of us have the luxury of having Dad pay for it by giving us stock.

With Mitt it seems to be a consistent "Do what I say, not what I do" ....

There is plenty of money out there for 'less fortunate' children and their families. It's those families who have responsible, working parents that make a decent income that get 'penalized'. And even then, there are plenty of funds available for the parents to borrow as well if they need it.

Only partially true, and what there is, Romney and Ryan would cut from the budget.

Oh yes, the parents should borrow. Right. A second mortgage on the home. If it is not still underwater, if both have jobs. And then pray that Romney and Ryan aren't elected, and create the Second Great Republican Depression.

Yeah, people are graduating with massive student loans because they want to, not because they have to.

I definitely qualified as a "less fortunate" child when I attended college, even going to a local, in state college on a full scholarship, I walked away with $20,000 in student loans.

Only partially true, and what there is, Romney and Ryan would cut from the budget.

Oh yes, the parents should borrow. Right. A second mortgage on the home. If it is not still underwater, if both have jobs. And then pray that Romney and Ryan aren't elected, and create the Second Great Republican Depression.

Do you really need the drama to make your point? Apparently you do. You don't have to take a second mortgage, there are loans for parents, the interest rate isn't as good as a second mortgage, but you can still get the funds if you really need them. Then pray that Romney is elected so that our economy gets back on its feet and all of our jobs are secure and not in jeapordy of disolving, just like all of Obama's promises.

Yeah, people are graduating with massive student loans because they want to, not because they have to.

I definitely qualified as a "less fortunate" child when I attended college, even going to a local, in state college on a full scholarship, I walked away with $20,000 in student loans.

Yeah, you shouldn't have to pay for a college education that is gong to benefit you the rest of your life, it should definitely be on someone elses back. Where do you people come from?

Do you really need the drama to make your point? Apparently you do. You don't have to take a second mortgage, there are loans for parents, the interest rate isn't as good as a second mortgage, but you can still get the funds if you really need them. Then pray that Romney is elected so that our economy gets back on its feet and all of our jobs are secure and not in jeapordy of disolving, just like all of Obama's promises.

The whole point of romneys speech was to avoid taking out student loans, you should ask mom and dad and only get as much education as ,18 year old you, can afford.

This is the world post 2008. Many of those parents not only don't have the money, they are desperately trying to hold onto their homes. Some are not even able to do that, they are living in the cars.

When there are many qualified men and women seeking employment at almost any wage, you are stating that a student with no experiance is just going to go out and find a job that will put a roof over his head, and food in his belly, as well as pay tuition and books. Remember when McD's advertised that they had 50,000 openings? And they had over a million applications. That is how bad the economy was, and it is picking up only slowly.

Over a period of six years, I got about three years worth of college credits while working full time. Then the 1972 price spiral hit, and I went back to my tools. There is no way that you are able to do your best when you are dividing up your time between a full time job and school.

Yeah, what I bolded, you can thank your president for that. He needs to go.

The whole point of romneys speech was to avoid taking out student loans, you should ask mom and dad and only get as much education as ,18 year old you, can afford.

Which speech? Post a transcript or a link to the speech in its entirety.

Yeah, you shouldn't have to pay for a college education that is gong to benefit you the rest of your life, it should definitely be on someone elses back. Where do you people come from?

WTF are you talking about? :confused:

Did you actually read my post?

Your claim is that poor kids have free rides, that there's plently of "assistance" out there. I'm saying that contrary to what many believe, the poor aren't getting a free ride through life.

Your claim is that poor kids have free rides, that there's plently of "assistance" out there. I'm saying that contrary to what many believe, the poor aren't getting a free ride through life.

So you're telling me a kid graduating in poverty with good grades can't get a full ride to school via grants, scholarships, or loans? I absolutely know differently, I have a kid going into college this year, and I've done extensive research on it, and my husband works at a university, I know how it works.

This shows just exactly how out of touch Romney is. Hello, Mittens! Not everyone's parents have money like you do to lend to their kids. We know you live in your own little bubble which is why you can't represent all the people.

"Get Real" - Obama for America TV Ad - YouTube

Better that than stealing from the taxpayer don'tyathink?

Ummm... the point is that not all parents are wealthy like out-of-touch Mitt is so borrowing from them isn't possible. And yes, I think we should deprive all people who can't afford it themselves of going to college so they can be kept in their place by people like Mittens. The next time a really smart and hard working kid wants to get a degree in science or medicine so he can discover a cure for a disease you might get, tell him "no". Quit stealing from us. Most people who get grants and other funding pay it back tenfold!

Do you think it is my responsibility to put someone's kid through College? I certainly don't.

Better that than stealing from the taxpayer don'tyathink?

Ummm... the point is that not all parents are wealthy like out-of-touch Mitt is so borrowing from them isn't possible. And yes, I think we should deprive all people who can't afford it themselves of going to college so they can be kept in their place by people like Mittens. The next time a really smart and hard working kid wants to get a degree in science or medicine so he can discover a cure for a disease you might get, tell him "no". Quit stealing from us. Most people who get grants and other funding pay it back tenfold!

Do you think it is my responsibility to put someone's kid through College? I certainly don't.

I'm with you. Its not my responsibility to pay for anyone college or anything else.

Bush I put a stop to the student loan program because the loans weren't being payed back. The taxpayers were on the hook for college educations.

Clinton came into office and reinstated em.

If you want to go to college get a fucking job or get a loan. No reason the taxpayers should be on the hook for someones college education.

Load of college grads out there now WHO CAN'T FIND A JOB.

Perhaps a trade shool would have been a much better investment.

So you're telling me a kid graduating in poverty with good grades can't get a full ride to school via grants, scholarships, or loans? I absolutely know differently, I have a kid going into college this year, and I've done extensive research on it, and my husband works at a university, I know how it works.

I'm telling you, even with a full ride, there is no way to graduate college without borrowing money from either your parents, or student loans.

Last edited:
Government solves everything doesn't it Barack?

Michelle Obama did not grow up with the proverbial silver spoon, and had to see to their own educations by taking advantage of student loans and scholarships:
“ I'm only here today, and Michelle is only where she is today, because scholarships and student loans gave us a shot at a great education. That’s how we succeeded.”

Where do scholarships come from? Donations from the RICH benefactors and successful former students.

Now about those student loans...did he ever pay them back or did Tony Rezko cover those too?

Two useless mooching turds under one roof.

According to the Golden Yeti, the student loans were paid off when rich people bought obama's ghost written biography of lies.

Government solves everything doesn't it Barack?

Michelle Obama did not grow up with the proverbial silver spoon, and had to see to their own educations by taking advantage of student loans and scholarships:
“ I'm only here today, and Michelle is only where she is today, because scholarships and student loans gave us a shot at a great education. That’s how we succeeded.”

Where do scholarships come from? Donations from the RICH benefactors and successful former students.

Now about those student loans...did he ever pay them back or did Tony Rezko cover those too?

Two useless mooching turds under one roof.

According to the Golden Yeti, the student loans were paid off when rich people bought obama's ghost written biography of lies.

If youre curious you could just look at his tax returns and see for yourself.

Forum List

Back