Romney Raising Money in London

If he is addressing US citizens living overseas, he can take all they money he can fleece them for.

But taking money from any foreign source, no way.

I'm not referring to foreign governments, but I think people have the right to do with their money what they want. So no, I have no problem if a Chinese, Iranian, or Venezuelan person wants to donate their money to a candidate for President here in the U.S. It seems to me to be the same argument used by many Democrats that corporations shouldn't be allowed to donate money to the candidates of their choosing. It's restricting what people may or may not do with their own money.

Let's touch on corporations for a minute then.

If MissleCo, a manufacturer of missile attack and defense systems were to donate a large amount of money to presidential candidate Fred, and he becomes President Fred, and then proceeds to grants all missile contracts for the US military to MissleCo... you don't see a problem there?

I see no problem with them donating money to Fred, I do, however, see a problem with Fred and the Congress granting missile contracts.

so, it's ok for a corporation to give money to a candidate in order to gain financially after said candidate is elected... but it's not ok for said candidate to make sure the corporation gains financially for giving him money to get him elected???

seems a little contradictory to me.

Let's touch on corporations for a minute then.

If MissleCo, a manufacturer of missile attack and defense systems were to donate a large amount of money to presidential candidate Fred, and he becomes President Fred, and then proceeds to grants all missile contracts for the US military to MissleCo... you don't see a problem there?

I see no problem with them donating money to Fred, I do, however, see a problem with Fred and the Congress granting missile contracts.

so, it's ok for a corporation to give money to a candidate in order to gain financially after said candidate is elected... but it's not ok for said candidate to make sure the corporation gains financially for giving him money to get him elected???

Well we have to define what we mean by "gain financially." If the company benefits from a tax cut from the candidate they supported financially then there's no problem, but if that candidate then helps them receive subsidies or gives them a monopoly through some sort of exclusive contract then we have a problem. I have no problem with corporations giving money to candidates because they believe that that candidate is the best person for the job, but I do have a problem when the government distorts the market by picking winners and losers for any reason.

Hopefully that clears up my position.

What I see in this thread is the very typical liberal smear campaign did you notice how it was phrased.

raising both campaign dollars
and support from
some “untraditional” places and people – namely London, England and Bill Clinton.

Leading one to believe that he is receiving money from overseas when in fact that's not what the totality of the hit piece say's.

Sooo, Mitt, a very disliked Republican among conservatives is doing something that conservatives don't like... and you're trying to make it seem like now the people that don't like Mitt, or how Mitt is getting money out to be bad for holding him to the same standard that they had for Obama?

Well we have to define what we mean by "gain financially." If the company benefits from a tax cut from the candidate they supported financially then there's no problem, but if that candidate then helps them receive subsidies or gives them a monopoly through some sort of exclusive contract then we have a problem. I have no problem with corporations giving money to candidates because they believe that that candidate is the best person for the job, but I do have a problem when the government distorts the market by picking winners and losers for any reason.

Hopefully that clears up my position.

yes, thanks.

however I think it is a little naive to believe a corporation could give huge sums to a candidate of any party, simply because they think he's the best man for the job, and not because they hoped to gain financially from his presidency.

Remember when republicans were in an uproar when Obama made speeches abroad?

Romney Raising Money, Compliments from Unusual Sources, Christian News

from the link;
Foreign citizens are prohibited from contributing to a candidate for U.S. president. Only U.S. citizens or those holding green cards are eligible to contribute

How are they going to prevent that? What's to keep anyone from putting money into an Americans hands and getting them to give it to Romney?

I will repeat myself;

Mitt is not to be our next Pres unless most Americans want more of the same.

edit;

I forgot Mitts UE. There's no chance our tax money went to send him there and he need not be here for the debt debate.

Last edited:
As long as it Americans living abroad doing the contributing I see no problem. Foreign Govt?? No way.

Unions have been contributing big money to Dems for ages. Why shouldn't a corporation be allowed to contribute to someones campaign. NO difference in my book.

There are no foreigners or "foreign governments" donating. Nothing even remotely suggests that in the story, except of course the title which is meant to misslead.

But of course liberals use it to spread their lies because they certainly don't want to focus on the truth of the Hussein's abysmal record.

Forum List

Back