Romney Raising Money in London

I may be a right leaning moderate but this is Bullsh*t. I've had no use for Romney since day one.. somehow I think I have even less use for him now.
Is this all part of the global influence coming from the leaders of the so called New World Order?

from the linked piece...

Foreign citizens are prohibited from contributing to a candidate for U.S. president. Only U.S. citizens or those holding green cards are eligible to contribute.

As long as Romney adheres to this, I don't see a problem. If someone has proof he is soliciting funds from non US citizens, they need to produce it so he can be held accountable.

If people want to give him money then that's their prerogative.
That may be, but the US Code forbids it.

2 U.S.C. 441 - Sec. 441e
(a) Prohibition It shall be unlawful for - (1) a foreign national, directly or indirectly, to make - (A) a contribution or donation of money or other thing of value, or to make an express or implied promise to make a contribution or donation, in connection with a Federal, State, or local election; (B) a contribution or donation to a committee of a political party; or (C) an expenditure, independent expenditure, or disbursement for an electioneering communication (within the meaning of section 434(f)(3) of this title); or (2) a person to solicit, accept, or receive a contribution or donation described in subparagraph (A) or (B) of paragraph (1) from a foreign national. (b) "Foreign national" defined As used in this section, the term "foreign national" means - (1) a foreign principal, as such term is defined by section 611(b) of title 22, except that the term "foreign national" shall not include any individual who is a citizen of the United States; or (2) an individual who is not a citizen of the United States or a national of the United States (as defined in section 1101(a)(22) of title 8) and who is not lawfully admitted for permanent residence, as defined by section 1101(a)(20) of title 8.

2 U.S.C. 441 - Sec. 441e
(a) Prohibition It shall be unlawful for - (1) a foreign national, directly or indirectly, to make - (A) a contribution or donation of money or other thing of value, or to make an express or implied promise to make a contribution or donation, in connection with a Federal, State, or local election; (B) a contribution or donation to a committee of a political party; or (C) an expenditure, independent expenditure, or disbursement for an electioneering communication (within the meaning of section 434(f)(3) of this title); or (2) a person to solicit, accept, or receive a contribution or donation described in subparagraph (A) or (B) of paragraph (1) from a foreign national. (b) "Foreign national" defined As used in this section, the term "foreign national" means - (1) a foreign principal, as such term is defined by section 611(b) of title 22, except that the term "foreign national" shall not include any individual who is a citizen of the United States; or (2) an individual who is not a citizen of the United States or a national of the United States (as defined in section 1101(a)(22) of title 8) and who is not lawfully admitted for permanent residence, as defined by section 1101(a)(20) of title 8.

True, but my point was that there should be no restrictions on what people can do with their own money.

from the linked piece...

Foreign citizens are prohibited from contributing to a candidate for U.S. president. Only U.S. citizens or those holding green cards are eligible to contribute.

As long as Romney adheres to this, I don't see a problem. If someone has proof he is soliciting funds from non US citizens, they need to produce it so he can be held accountable.
Good to hear. I hope he really watches that. I think this law preventing foreign influence on our elections is an extremely important law.

2 U.S.C. 441 - Sec. 441e

True, but my point was that there should be no restrictions on what people can do with their own money.

in general principle, I agree.

However, having money from foreign nationals decide who becomes president is, IMHO, a really bad idea. Would you want China determining who became president of this country because they spent 3 times what the opposition did? Or Iran? Or Venezuela?

2 U.S.C. 441 - Sec. 441e

However, having money from foreign nationals decide who becomes president is, IMHO, a really bad idea. Would you want China determining who became president of this country because they spent 3 times what the opposition did? Or Iran? Or Venezuela?

I'm not referring to foreign governments, but I think people have the right to do with their money what they want. So no, I have no problem if a Chinese, Iranian, or Venezuelan person wants to donate their money to a candidate for President here in the U.S. It seems to me to be the same argument used by many Democrats that corporations shouldn't be allowed to donate money to the candidates of their choosing. It's restricting what people may or may not do with their own money.

2 U.S.C. 441 - Sec. 441e

China financed Bill Clinton. Twice... Look where we are now?

So its ok for foreign country's to invest American politicians then ? Not very Ron Paul of you.

My name's Kevin, not Ron Paul, but perhaps you missed the part where I said I wouldn't apply that same logic to foreign governments. I don't want the U.S. government funding candidates, so I certainly don't want foreign governments doing it.

So its ok for foreign country's to invest American politicians then ? Not very Ron Paul of you.

My name's Kevin, not Ron Paul, but perhaps you missed the part where I said I wouldn't apply that same logic to foreign governments. I don't want the U.S. government funding candidates, so I certainly don't want foreign governments doing it.

Oh. My bad.

There is absolutely no evidence in the OP or the source link that foreigners are contributing to Romney.

From the OP:
“There is a lot of interest in this election among Americans living abroad who like everyone else are worried about what the weak economy and lack of jobs means for our status in the world,” campaign advisor Eric Fehrnstrom said in an earlier statement, “They want to know if we are going to lead the world economically or become something less. To a large degree Mitt Romney because he is well known as someone who has the skills to turn the economy around.”

Many Americans live in Europe.

I will soon be one.

Does that mean they can't contribute or vote?

I'm not referring to foreign governments, but I think people have the right to do with their money what they want. So no, I have no problem if a Chinese, Iranian, or Venezuelan person wants to donate their money to a candidate for President here in the U.S. It seems to me to be the same argument used by many Democrats that corporations shouldn't be allowed to donate money to the candidates of their choosing. It's restricting what people may or may not do with their own money.

Let's touch on corporations for a minute then.

If MissleCo, a manufacturer of missile attack and defense systems were to donate a large amount of money to presidential candidate Fred, and he becomes President Fred, and then proceeds to grants all missile contracts for the US military to MissleCo... you don't see a problem there?

Romney is an international corporatists, he invests alot of money in overseas production. Not in the uSA(he does own Burger King)

Last edited:

Let's touch on corporations for a minute then.

If MissleCo, a manufacturer of missile attack and defense systems were to donate a large amount of money to presidential candidate Fred, and he becomes President Fred, and then proceeds to grants all missile contracts for the US military to MissleCo... you don't see a problem there?

I see no problem with them donating money to Fred, I do, however, see a problem with Fred and the Congress granting missile contracts.

Raising funds from Foreign sources has been illegal since 1790. If he is doing this, he will have to give it back. and maybe face jail time.

No way is this acceptable.

Forum List

Back