Romney pledges to veto federal DREAM Act for immigrants

It seems an odd time to be making this pledge. According to Intrade, Romney's stock has never been higher (77% odds of capturing the nomination), and some people have suggested that Romney's fierce hawkish immigration stance is hurting both him and his party. Now he is attacking a relatively popular pro-immigrant program (at one point, the DREAM Act had 54% approval Poll: 54 percent support DREAM Act – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs). It seems that Romney is not done running to the right.

It seems an odd time to be making this pledge. According to Intrade, Romney's stock has never been higher (77% odds of capturing the nomination), and some people have suggested that Romney's fierce hawkish immigration stance is hurting both him and his party. Now he is attacking a relatively popular pro-immigrant program (at one point, the DREAM Act had 54% approval Poll: 54 percent support DREAM Act – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs). It seems that Romney is not done running to the right.
You have the wrong poll numbers. The dream act is a loser.
FAIR: Public Opinion on Immigration

Wait... I thought you guys were claiming that Obama already enacted the DREAM act by executive fiat.

Make up your minds.

He just had ICE issue a hotline number so illegals caught red handed can call for help to stay here.

What does that have to do with the DREAM act?

Do you think that anyone suspected of being "illegal" should just be kicked out, no questions asked?

Like it or not, we live in a country where everyone is innocent until proven guilty - even illegal immigrants. So I fully support a hotline for people to be informed of their rights. Still entirely irrelevant to my post, though.

Wait... I thought you guys were claiming that Obama already enacted the DREAM act by executive fiat.

Make up your minds.

He just had ICE issue a hotline number so illegals caught red handed can call for help to stay here.

Do you think that anyone suspected of being "illegal" should just be kicked out, no questions asked?

Like it or not, we live in a country where everyone is innocent until proven guilty - even illegal immigrants. So I fully support a hotline for people to be informed of their rights. Still entirely irrelevant to my post, though.

You are not interested in a discussion of fact at all, your opening post in this thread proves it. But then you pretty much do the same in every thread.

You are not interested in a discussion of fact at all, your opening post in this thread proves it. But then you pretty much do the same in every thread.

Sure I am. I'm interested in the "fact" that countless people on this board have claimed that Obama has "violated the Constitution" and implemented the DREAM act already by fiat.

Now, the same people are claiming that Romney will "veto" the DREAM act.

So which is it?

The Dream Act is unfair and would encourage even more illegal immigration.

Romney pledges to veto federal DREAM Act for immigrants - Election 2012 - The Washington Post

I fail to see how the Dream Act would encourage more illegal immigration being that it only applies to people who were brought here illegally as children. You can't sneak across the border at 18 and then get the benefits of the Dream Act.

It's a sensible solution for people who essentially have no country.

Romney pledges to veto federal DREAM Act for immigrants - Election 2012 - The Washington Post

I fail to see how the Dream Act would encourage more illegal immigration being that it only applies to people who were brought here illegally as children. You can't sneak across the border at 18 and then get the benefits of the Dream Act.

You can't sneak across the border at 18 and then get the benefits of the Dream Act.

I never thought it possible that a person 26 years old would be considered a child either.
26 years old,considered a "child" so they could sponge off the parents health insurance coverage.

But then Obama Care came along. :D

So this would not surprise me...

Last edited:

You don't see how the promise of eventual legalization for their young children would induce more people to take the risk and come here?

You have the wrong poll numbers. The dream act is a loser.
FAIR: Public Opinion on Immigration

I would not trust that poll. It appears to be commissioned by FAIR itself, which seems to be more interested in producing propaganda than analysis (I tend to stay away from SPLC-designated hate groups when searching for factual information). Neither the poll or its full methodology seems to be publicly available. In deference to FAIR, while they don't disclose methodology they do admit that they supplied some secret "facts" (I'm guessing something along the lines of "the DREAM Act provides amnesty for illegal immigrants and allows illegal immigrants to pay lower college tuition than US citizens"). This would make this a "push poll", which is fine propaganda but lousy data. (FAIR: Poll Shows Most Voters Do Not Support DREAM Act).

You haven't told me why you distrust CNN's numbers, but it may interest you to know that Rasmussen (Rasmussen: Voters Support Idea of DREAM Act | The Washington Independent) and Gallup (Slim Majority of Americans Would Vote for DREAM Act Law) found very similar methods of support. These organizations are of course more well-known than Pulse polling, and actually release their methodologies.

Securing the boarder is one thing; sending 12 to 20 million illegals back to wherever is a completely different ballgame that we are not going to win. We better figure out what we are going to do, because we sure as hell are not sending them all back. Anyone who thinks we are is delirious. Of course it may sound great to talk tough about how we need to send them all back, but it just isn't going to happen. As soon as people wake up to this fact, the better off we will be in trying to find a real solution to the problem.

You are making the mistake of thinking your own ignorance is universal.

And this, Children, is why Romney is such an awful candidate.

Simple demographics, people. Hispanics are the fastest growing segment of our population; it is estimated that by 2020, Hispanic growth of LEGAL immigrants and their descendents will make Texas a blue state and effectively end any real chance the GOP has of winning the presidency. (Unless we do the breathtakingly rational thing and get rid of the electoral college.)

Now G. W. Bush understood this, and did a lot of outreach. He even got 45% of the Hispanic vote in 2004. A pretty good number. But then the Crazy Minutemen and Nativists got involved. And even though he had a good rep with Hispanics previously, embracing them knocked McCain down to 31% of their support. Knocked Florida, NM, Nevada and Colorado into the Dem column.

Now we have Mittens Romney, a guy who belongs to a religion that thinks brown skin is a curse from God, that has flip-flopped on this issue, who hired illegal aliens to do his lawn -until he decided he was running for office, for Pete's Sake..

Yeah, this is the guy we want to win these folks over.

The thing is, Hispanics would be a solid addition to the GOP Coalition. They are culturally conservative, have traditional values, believe in hard work and family.

But the GOP seems intent on alienating them.

You don't see how the promise of eventual legalization for their young children would induce more people to take the risk and come here?

No, what encourages them to come here is people offering them to do money for shit work that Americans won't do, even in a recession.

You know, like Mitt Romney hiring them to do yard work on his mansion. Oh, wait, he's running for office, for Pete's Sake. Better stop that.

If you really wanted to stop illegal immigration, come down hard on the people who hire them.

I lived in a town that had a prositution problem in the 1980's. They kept busting the hookers, and they'd be out the next day, turning tricks again. Then someone got the brilliant idea to bust the Johns instead. And publish their names in the Town Paper.

The hookers vanished after that. Actually, they just went somewhere else, but the point is the problem was solved at its source.

Good point. Then why is the left so opposed to E-verify and a national ID?

I think both parties have resistance to a national ID card, which I think is a bit stupid, since the Social Security Card already is sort of a national ID number anyway.

E-Verify is fine for companies like the one I work for that are making a good-faith effort to comply with the law. It's the people who are knowingly violating the law or paying people off the books that are the problem. And that includes all you folks who hire nannies or a bunch of day-laborers from out in front of the Home Depot.

And this, Children, is why Romney is such an awful candidate.

Simple demographics, people. Hispanics are the fastest growing segment of our population; it is estimated that by 2020, Hispanic growth of LEGAL immigrants and their descendents will make Texas a blue state and effectively end any real chance the GOP has of winning the presidency. (Unless we do the breathtakingly rational thing and get rid of the electoral college.)

Now G. W. Bush understood this, and did a lot of outreach. He even got 45% of the Hispanic vote in 2004. A pretty good number. But then the Crazy Minutemen and Nativists got involved. And even though he had a good rep with Hispanics previously, embracing them knocked McCain down to 31% of their support. Knocked Florida, NM, Nevada and Colorado into the Dem column.

Now we have Mittens Romney, a guy who belongs to a religion that thinks brown skin is a curse from God, that has flip-flopped on this issue, who hired illegal aliens to do his lawn -until he decided he was running for office, for Pete's Sake..

Yeah, this is the guy we want to win these folks over.

The thing is, Hispanics would be a solid addition to the GOP Coalition. They are culturally conservative, have traditional values, believe in hard work and family.

But the GOP seems intent on alienating them.

Wow, advice from a hateful fucking bigot and an OBVIOUS liberal democrat. Just what we need... :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back