Romney Plan would hasten end of Medicare...

Yes, under Romney the HI trust fund will be bankrupt in 2016. But don't worry, he'll start reforming Medicare in 2023. Sit tight, grandma!

Anyway, his bullshit isn't catching on.

8-21-12-3.png

And hot on the heels of that Pew poll is the new NBC/Wall Street Journal poll:

Which of the following statements do you agree with more? (ROTATE)

Mitt Romney who says this proposal is a good idea because it would strengthen Medicare and reduce government costs for Medicare by giving future seniors more control over their own health care dollars and a choice between traditional Medicare and a variety of private plans.
…or…
Barack Obama who says this proposal is a bad idea because it would end Medicare as we know it by turning it into a voucher system giving seniors a set amount of money to pay for their health care costs and leaving them to personally cover costs above this amount.

Mitt Romney .................................................... 34
Barack Obama ................................................. 50
Mixed/Some of both (VOL) ............................ 2
Neither (VOL) ............................................... 5
Not sure ......................................................... 9

That's just the reaction to the general idea; once it sinks in that Romney is promising to accelerate the depletion of the trust fund, moving its insolvency date up nearly a decade and thus bankrupting it before the end of his first term, I imagine reactions to his "plan" will cool even further.

Yes, under Romney the HI trust fund will be bankrupt in 2016. But don't worry, he'll start reforming Medicare in 2023. Sit tight, grandma!

8-21-12-3.png

Mitt Romney who says this proposal is a good idea because it would strengthen Medicare and reduce government costs for Medicare by giving future seniors more control over their own health care dollars and a choice between traditional Medicare and a variety of private plans.
…or…
Barack Obama who says this proposal is a bad idea because it would end Medicare as we know it by turning it into a voucher system giving seniors a set amount of money to pay for their health care costs and leaving them to personally cover costs above this amount.

That's just the reaction to the general idea; once it sinks in that Romney is promising to accelerate the depletion of the trust fund, moving its insolvency date up nearly a decade and thus bankrupting it before the end of his first term, I imagine reactions to his "plan" will cool even further.

I am new here..

I find that graphs with real "information" are largely overlooked. :lol:

I expect many comments on the contrary, while completely overlooking the data provided.

i see the libtard menace is out in full lie mode today, as usual.

The plan does not eliminate Medicare. It gives older Americans a choice of continuing in Medicare, or vouchers for private insurance.

Suck to have a choice, huh libtards. :rolleyes:

The plan does not eliminate Medicare. It gives older Americans a choice of continuing in Medicare, or vouchers for private insurance.

No it doesn't.

It eliminates Medicare.

It turns it into a voucher program and puts a cap on pay outs.

The intent..is getting rid of it entirely.

The thread isn't about how to interpret the voucherization of the program.

It's about the fact that Romney is proposing to bankrupt the trust fund in 2016. Rather separate issues, as the voucherization doesn't start until 2023 under his plan. Maybe read the referenced article before commenting.

The plan does not eliminate medicare. It gives older americans a choice of continuing in medicare, or vouchers for private insurance.

no it doesn't.

it eliminates medicare.

it turns it into a voucher program and puts a cap on pay outs.

The intent..is getting rid of it entirely.

lol

It's nice to see the NYT getting around to making points I was making all last week.

The conservatives here will just mock this because they have no good responses.

Any privatization would really suck, seriously, how would democrats be able to steal billions of dollars from a fund americans payed into to bankroll an unconstitutional entitlement program?

Any privatization would really suck, seriously, how would democrats be able to steal billions of dollars from a fund americans payed into to bankroll an unconstitutional entitlement program?

^Right here.

That's the Republican agenda.

And that's how they should frame it.

It's bullshit they want to "save" medicare.

Medicare
Key Elements of Mitt’s Plan

• Nothing changes for current seniors or those nearing retirement
  • Medicare is reformed as a premium support system, meaning that existing spending is repackaged as a fixed-amount benefit to each senior that he or she can use to purchase an insurance plan
  • All insurance plans must offer coverage at least comparable to what Medicare provides today
  • If seniors choose more expensive plans, they will have to pay the difference between the support amount and the premium price; if they choose less expensive plans, they can use any leftover support to pay other medical expenses like co-pays and deductibles
  • “Traditional” fee-for-service Medicare will be offered by the government as an insurance plan, meaning that seniors can purchase that form of coverage if they prefer it; however, if it costs the government more to provide that service than it costs private plans to offer their versions, then the premiums charged by the government will have to be higher and seniors will have to pay the difference to enroll in the traditional Medicare option
  • Lower income seniors will receive more generous support to ensure that they can afford coverage; wealthier seniors will receive less support
  • Competition among plans to provide high quality service while charging low premiums will hold costs down while also improving the quality of coverage enjoyed by seniors

How will traditional Medicare remain an option?
Traditional Medicare will compete against private plans. It will be operated by the government and funded by premiums, co-insurance, and deductibles that are set at the level necessary to cover its costs. The attractiveness of this option to future seniors will depend on how its efficiency and quality compares to that offered by other providers in the marketplace. Future seniors will benefit from the innovation and competition among options.

Mitt should say now, "See you Florida! It was Nice to Know You!"

^Right here.

That's the Republican agenda.

And that's how they should frame it.

It's bullshit they want to "save" medicare.

Right, it's Republicans that stole 700 billion dollars from medicare to "save" it......

8-21-12-3.png

…or…

Gee, you mean a plan from a filthy rich white guy who will never want for anything in his life is is not going over well with seniors like me? Don't mess with my Medicare!

Forum List

Back