Romney Pay's 13.9% Effective Tax Rate

24 January 2012
Last updated at 03:20 ET

Wealthy Romney ‘pays 13.9% tax’ | Stock Market News - Business & Tech News

Mitt Romney said he paid all the taxes that were legally required – and not a dollar more

Who should expect him to break the law?

The rich don't NEED to break the law. They simply pay Congress and local governments to give them favorable tax rates. They pretty much WRITE the law - so why would they need to break it when they can just change it?

The special, lower capital gains tax rate was pushed on to the public with the argument that it would help the economy as a whole. There is no empirical evidence to support that it affects the economy one way or the other. The REAL reason it was instituted was so the uber-rich could pay lower tax rates.

Last edited:
Well, Rangle and Daschle didn't. Don't you like how Democrats are upset about a Republican who paid his taxes and could give a crap about Democrats who committed massive fraud? But that is liberalism...

Don't hesitate to bring that up when Rangel and Daschle run for president.

So your position is that only people who run for President are required to pay taxes? Deal..

No, my position is that it is not a logical, intelligent, substantive argument for or against a position to name drop irrelevant people's opinions on the issue.

But it isn't illegal.

If it isn't illegal why would you hate him for doing that?

please.. show me the post where I said no one is allowed to criticize Romney. I said he did nothing illegal, and libtards are whining about him... but I don't recall saying you are not allowed to whine like butt-fucked pigs.

"Is it illegal" has been your go-to defense for Romney on this issue.

I just illustrated why that defense is an empty one.

Is it illegal? no.

Are you allowed to whine like a little girl about it? yes

Am I allowed to think it's stupid to whine like a butt-fucked pig about someone following the law? yup.

pretty simple concepts. Even you should be able to grasp them.

please.. show me the post where I said no one is allowed to criticize Romney. I said he did nothing illegal, and libtards are whining about him... but I don't recall saying you are not allowed to whine like butt-fucked pigs.

Is it illegal? no.

Am I allowed to think it's stupid to whine like a butt-fucked pig about someone following the law? yup.

"Is it illegal" is a just a weak defense.

"You are whining" is even weaker.

It isn't "illegal" for a guy to bang someone's girlfriend and little sister but you wouldn't remain friends with him if he did it to you. I don't think anyone would call you a whiner for doing so either.

It isn't "illegal" for Romney to pay the tax rate he does while he advocates for an even lower tax rate (like zero for capital gains) but in this case your go-to defense is to play the "it isn't illegal" and "you're a whiner" card.

My+Necklace+Is+A+Gameboy+-+Your+Argument+Is+Invalid.jpg

24 January 2012
Last updated at 03:20 ET

Wealthy Romney ‘pays 13.9% tax’ | Stock Market News - Business & Tech News

Mitt Romney said he paid all the taxes that were legally required – and not a dollar more

US Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney has said he expects to pay about $6.2m (£4m) in taxes on income of $42.5m in the last two years.

That makes for a tax rate of 13.9% in 2010 and an expected rate of 15.4% in 2011, his campaign said.

My wife and I receive pensions and social security which we earned and paid into all our lives and we pay 19%. Everything we have is paid for so all our income is subject to taxation at some percentage....even our social security.

Evil bastard.

Someone is missing the point. Guess who that is?

i'm gonna go with you.

do you know someone who voluntarily pays more than they're legally required to?

Is it illegal? no.

"Is it illegal" is a just a weak defense.

"You are whining" is even weaker.

It isn't "illegal" for a guy to bang someone's girlfriend and little sister but you wouldn't remain friends with him if he did it to you. I don't think anyone would call you a whiner for doing so either.

It isn't "illegal" for Romney to pay the tax rate he does while he advocates for an even lower tax rate (like zero for capital gains) but in this case your go-to defense is to play the "it isn't illegal" and "you're a whiner" card.

My+Necklace+Is+A+Gameboy+-+Your+Argument+Is+Invalid.jpg

Cheese-With-That-Whine.gif

of course not. I am free to hate him for doing so, just like he is free to do so.

But it isn't illegal.

If it isn't illegal why would you hate him for doing that?

Show the post where anyone said this is an issue because he is breaking the law. You ready to have any honest discussion now are do you want to continue to be a stubborn ass?

in mass, there's an option to pay your taxes at a higher rate if you want.
this is because when a referendum cut the tax rate, there was a huge outcry about how the children would suffer, vital programs for disadvantaged people would be slashed (need i say, *to the bone*) and generally the world would end. so a mechanism was put in place for the large group of people who were concerned about it to pay *their fair share*.

last year, out of about 2 million taxpayers, 862 (eight hundred sixty two) chose to pay the higher rate.

Well.. impose a flat 20% tax on every dollar earned, no matter the source, with zero exceptions, and zero loopholes... then you would have no complaints, right??

Throw in a first 20k exemption and you got yourself a deal. Until then you're just hammering Americans who are barely getting by.

You wont do that because you hate these people.

So a progressive system to be fixed with another progressive system... fix taxing people differently with taxing people differently

Idiotic

your subjective 'pity' taking precedence over equal treatment

Nah.... I'll stick with all the positives and negatives that come with it, to have equal treatment

i'm gonna go with you.

Nope. What's your point?

I'm not mad at Romney, I am mad at the people and a system that let Romney pay the amount that he does. Get it now?

uh huh

:rolleyes:

sure you are

That's your response? Seriously?

What, am I lying about what I believe?

You could have just said...oh, you know what I didn't realize that is what you had an issue with. Now that I know, we can discuss.....

But no, you decided to take another, more ignorant route. Well done.

Well.. impose a flat 20% tax on every dollar earned, no matter the source, with zero exceptions, and zero loopholes... then you would have no complaints, right??

I think there needs to be some exemption for say, first $15,000 or whatever... that is open for discussion. After that, yes indeed... flat rate for EVERYBODY.

As stated above... it's just another way of disguising a progressive system... subjectively having earners of this much pay a higher % than earners of that much ...

Sorry.... I will only support a truly flat and equal system.. and will speak against every system and bullshit subjective loophole until we have such a system

Throw in a first 20k exemption and you got yourself a deal. Until then you're just hammering Americans who are barely getting by.

So a progressive system to be fixed with another progressive system... fix taxing people differently with taxing people differently

Idiotic

Nah.... I'll stick with all the positives and negatives that come with it, to have equal treatment

But what you want is not "equal". That's been established.

Idiotic

The current same dollar for dollar system is "equal". A flat tax rate on every dollar is "equal". A flax tax sans the first 20k is "equal".

The issue is what's "best" for our country, not what's equal.

Last edited:
Nope. What's your point?

I'm not mad at Romney, I am mad at the people and a system that let Romney pay the amount that he does. Get it now?

uh huh

:rolleyes:

sure you are

That's your response? Seriously?

What, am I lying about what I believe?

You could have just said...oh, you know what I didn't realize that is what you had an issue with. Now that I know, we can discuss.....

But no, you decided to take another, more ignorant route. Well done.

you presume that a) i give a shit what you think and b) i care to discuss it with you

these would be incorrect presumptions

thank you

Evil bastard.

Someone is missing the point. Guess who that is?

i'm gonna go with you.

So far, Warren Buffet and Congressman Scott Rigel.

It would be wonderful if Buffet extended this idea to the masses. Perhaps he could get a group of filthy rich folks like himself who want to help pay down the debt, and offer to match dollars donated by anyone, not just Republicans in Congress. Just think of a world where in addition to the social norm of the rich having to essentially pay bribes to politicians in the form of campaign contributions (most of the rich donate heavily to BOTH parties) - they also have to make voluntary contributions to the debt or be publicly perceived as anti-American.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back