Romney On Whether We’re Better Off: ‘Of Course It’s Getting Better’

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
By Pat Garofalo

The Romney campaign this week is reprising former President Reagan’s “are you better off?” question, in an attempt to paint President Obama as a failure when it comes to the economy. “He can’t tell you that you’re better off,” said Vice Presidential candidate Paul Ryan. “Simply put, the Jimmy Carter years look like the good old days compared to where we are now.” Romney introduced the theme during his speech before the Republican National Convention, saying, “every president since the Great Depression who came before the American people asking for a second term could look back at the last four years and say with satisfaction: ‘you are better off today than you were four years ago.’ Except Jimmy Carter. And except this president.”

“Saying that things are better off is an insult,” added Romney campaign adviser Eric Fehrnstrom. But if it’s an insult to say that the economy is better off, then Mitt Romney has been slinging some insults of his own, considering how he answered a question from conservative talk radio host Laura Ingraham back in January:

INGRAHAM: You’ve also noted that there are signs of improvement on the horizon in the economy. How do you answer the president’s argument that the economy is getting better in a general election campaign if you yourself are saying it’s getting better?

ROMNEY: Well, of course it’s getting better. The economy always gets better after a recession, there is always a recovery. […]

INGRAHAM: Isn’t it a hard argument to make if you’re saying, like, OK, he inherited this recession, he took a bunch of steps to try to turn the economy around, and now, we’re seeing more jobs, but vote against him anyway? Isn’t that a hard argument to make? Is that a stark enough contrast?

ROMNEY: Have you got a better one, Laura? It just happens to be the truth.

More: Romney On Whether We're Better Off: 'Of Course It's Getting Better' | ThinkProgress

Romney has no honor. None whatsoever.

“Look, I’m at the start of my administration. One nice thing about the situation I find myself in is that I will be held accountable. You know, I’ve got four years. And, you know, a year from now I think people are going to see that we’re starting to make some progress,” Obama said. “But there’s still going to be some pain out there. If I don’t have this done in three years, then there’s going to be a one-term proposition.”

Will Obama honor his own promise and make it a one term proposition by withdrawing from the race?

Obama has no honor. None whatsoever.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCN5-ovvFL0]FLASHBACK: Obama: My Presidency Will Be 'A One-Term Proposition' If Economy Doesn't Turn In 3 Years - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaQUU2ZL6D8]Obama will cut deficit in half FEB 2009 - YouTube[/ame]

I think he is really bad in math because it sure went the wrong way lol

Defending one scum sucking power hungry corrupt politician over another is like defending one serial killer over another.

When will you people learn that?

By Pat Garofalo

The Romney campaign this week is reprising former President Reagan’s “are you better off?” question, in an attempt to paint President Obama as a failure when it comes to the economy. “He can’t tell you that you’re better off,” said Vice Presidential candidate Paul Ryan. “Simply put, the Jimmy Carter years look like the good old days compared to where we are now.” Romney introduced the theme during his speech before the Republican National Convention, saying, “every president since the Great Depression who came before the American people asking for a second term could look back at the last four years and say with satisfaction: ‘you are better off today than you were four years ago.’ Except Jimmy Carter. And except this president.”

“Saying that things are better off is an insult,” added Romney campaign adviser Eric Fehrnstrom. But if it’s an insult to say that the economy is better off, then Mitt Romney has been slinging some insults of his own, considering how he answered a question from conservative talk radio host Laura Ingraham back in January:

INGRAHAM: You’ve also noted that there are signs of improvement on the horizon in the economy. How do you answer the president’s argument that the economy is getting better in a general election campaign if you yourself are saying it’s getting better?

ROMNEY: Well, of course it’s getting better. The economy always gets better after a recession, there is always a recovery. […]

INGRAHAM: Isn’t it a hard argument to make if you’re saying, like, OK, he inherited this recession, he took a bunch of steps to try to turn the economy around, and now, we’re seeing more jobs, but vote against him anyway? Isn’t that a hard argument to make? Is that a stark enough contrast?

More: Romney On Whether We're Better Off: 'Of Course It's Getting Better' | ThinkProgress

There you have it. The man of many gaffes does it again and admits the economy is getting better. This guy is a doofus! If the economy had gotten worse, Mitt, guess what??? We would have had a DEPRESSION so by your own admission Obama or whoever in gov't. is responsible for the economy getting better prevented a depression. >
rotfl.gif

Defending one scum sucking power hungry corrupt politician over another is like defending one serial killer over another.

When will you people learn that?

come on, JOhn Casey vs TEd Bundy, tell me u havent thought that one over.

Yes, the economy is getting better - in spite of NaziCon obstructionism. Obama has done a great job - while pulling an obstructionist elephant.

o-gold.jpg

STOCK SHOCK FELT ROUND THE WORLD. Gets ‘nasty’ as Lehman tanks, Merrill vanishes, AIG wobbles [New York Daily News, September 16, 2008]

Depression Coming? Boil Some Beans; Ladies Who Quilt Give Tips On Surviving Tough Times [Albuquerque Journal, September 21, 2008]

One day on the brink On Wednesday, it seemed U.S. economy might collapse [St. Louis Post-Dispatch, September 21, 2008]

‘Great Depression’ closer than U.S. admits, report finds [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, September 27, 2008]

Will Bush become the new Hoover? [Politico, September 19, 2008]

Developers bend under housing meltdown [Colorado Springs Gazette, September 27, 2008]

Depression seen possible [Florida News-Press, September 27, 2008]

Wall Street Meltdown Continues [CNN, September 17, 2008]

Is It Really the Next ‘Great Depression’? [NPR, September 19, 2008]

Behind Closed Doors, Warnings of Calamity [The New York Times, September 20, 2008]

Are We Better Off? 10 Headlines From September 2008 | ThinkProgress, By Zack Beauchamp and Judd Legum

People please vote obama out then maybe he'll take Lahkota with him:clap2:

Romney has no honor. None whatsoever.

“Look, I’m at the start of my administration. One nice thing about the situation I find myself in is that I will be held accountable. You know, I’ve got four years. And, you know, a year from now I think people are going to see that we’re starting to make some progress,” Obama said. “But there’s still going to be some pain out there. If I don’t have this done in three years, then there’s going to be a one-term proposition.”

Will Obama honor his own promise and make it a one term proposition by withdrawing from the race?

Obama has no honor. None whatsoever.

:lol: @ you not knowing what proposition means

Yes, the economy is getting better - in spite of NaziCon obstructionism. Obama has done a great job - while pulling an obstructionist elephant.

o-gold.jpg

The economy is flat as Michelle Obama's chest.

It ain't getting better.

By Pat Garofalo

Romney's making the mistake of sticking to the full truth. :lol: I could explain what happened there Lakunta. But it'd be over your head and you're still going to vote for your idol.

Forum List

Back