Romney now channeling President Bill Clinton.

Some friendly advice.

Stick with the person..and not the family.

It's simpler that way.

I agree with you completely. But I don't see any good reason why that should be a one way street.

It's not.

Mods are pretty fair here.

You see a post you think is over the line..flag it.

It's not their "fairness" I call into question. It's their perception that I find suspect. I really don't think it's malicious, it's a matter of simply getting used to seeing something for so long that they don't see their own bias on the matter. The fact that I have to flag it at all illustrates my point. The mods have seen Stephanie's comment. Yet it didn't even register with them that it was against the very same rule. It's so widespread around here that I could go around flagging posts all day long, and the only thing that would come out of it would probably be me being told to stop flagging so many posts. I'm tired of these comments, so I've taken a different approach to bringing the issue out to light, to generate discussion about it. I acknowledge that my tactics here are less than flattering, to say the least. But at this point I think this is the best chance to see something done about it. I'd be truly apologetic about what I've said, except that Stephanie's flagrant hypocrisy makes her completely undeserving of any compassion. She said it herself, it's perfectly okay for her to insult people by bringing their family into the discussion, but it's not okay for someone to do it to her. Where is the same outrage toward her and people like her on this board who regularly invoke people's family, i.e. their children, to make insulting comments?

Yes it was. It was almost as low as the "baby killer" arguments that people like to make so often. I'm sick of the bullies around here who want to dish shit out, and think they should be immune from being on the receiving end. I've got more where that came from. I think it's time to forget the golden rule for a while, and work on rusty blade rule. Stephanie acts like a douche bag to others, so that tells me that she must want others to act like a douche bag toward her.

Naw..man.

It was just low.

I mostly like the stuff you post..but you should check yourself.

Steph's pretty mild in her barbs.

Wishing that sort of thing on her..was way out of whack.

And against TOS.

I realize that my comment was uncalled for. But here's the thing.....Stephanie's comment is just as much an insult that invokes people's family members as my own. But comments like hers are plenty abundant on this board, and are tolerated on pretty much a daily basis. I mean, seriously, wanting to murder one's own children? How is THAT not an extremely low blow? How is that any less against the TOS?

Well, I'll tell you why. It's quite simple. The right wing nuts on this board are so numerous, and make such claims on such a regular basis, that most people have simply become used to it and fail to recognize it for what it is anymore. Yes, I'm pro choice. I find it deeply offensive for someone to say things like Stephanie said, things that we hear said on this board all the time. I have no interest in murdering my children. The very suggestion that I do is abhorrently repugnant. Where has the action been to curb this behavior? Well, what can I say? Sometimes you gotta fight fire with fire.
I'm pro-choice, too, but I understand that those who aren't view it very, very differently than I do.

I disagree with them quite regularly but I've never had a meltdown over that disagreement, even though the emotions are always elevated in this topic.

And, your reference to "right wing nuts" pretty much contradicts your username, but it wasn't as if I didn't realize that you weren't all that in the middle anyway. You CAN be, at times.

Anyway, it's an emotional topic but that doesn't excuse going that low, IMO.

Take a breather. A cuppa herbal tea. Whatever. But getting your emotions at such a level, too, isn't really going to help the situation.

Last edited:
I agree with you completely. But I don't see any good reason why that should be a one way street.

It's not.

It's not their "fairness" I call into question. It's their perception that I find suspect. I really don't think it's malicious, it's a matter of simply getting used to seeing something for so long that they don't see their own bias on the matter. The fact that I have to flag it at all illustrates my point. The mods have seen Stephanie's comment. Yet it didn't even register with them that it was against the very same rule. It's so widespread around here that I could go around flagging posts all day long, and the only thing that would come out of it would probably be me being told to stop flagging so many posts. I'm tired of these comments, so I've taken a different approach to bringing the issue out to light, to generate discussion about it. I acknowledge that my tactics here are less than flattering, to say the least. But at this point I think this is the best chance to see something done about it. I'd be truly apologetic about what I've said, except that Stephanie's flagrant hypocrisy makes her completely undeserving of any compassion. She said it herself, it's perfectly okay for her to insult people by bringing their family into the discussion, but it's not okay for someone to do it to her. Where is the same outrage toward her and people like her on this board who regularly invoke people's family, i.e. their children, to make insulting comments?
OK. Wait. With the volume of posts per day at this site, the assumption that staff sees all the posts, or even most of the posts, is unrealistic.

It's not.

As the man said, "Don't knock it till you've tried it".

Thus far..the Mods have been very fair to me.

It's not.

Not surprisingly, either, because you don't break the few rules here. Go figure, huh? :)

Naw..man.

It was just low.

I mostly like the stuff you post..but you should check yourself.

Steph's pretty mild in her barbs.

Wishing that sort of thing on her..was way out of whack.

And against TOS.

I realize that my comment was uncalled for. But here's the thing.....Stephanie's comment is just as much an insult that invokes people's family members as my own. But comments like hers are plenty abundant on this board, and are tolerated on pretty much a daily basis. I mean, seriously, wanting to murder one's own children? How is THAT not an extremely low blow? How is that any less against the TOS?

Well, I'll tell you why. It's quite simple. The right wing nuts on this board are so numerous, and make such claims on such a regular basis, that most people have simply become used to it and fail to recognize it for what it is anymore. Yes, I'm pro choice. I find it deeply offensive for someone to say things like Stephanie said, things that we hear said on this board all the time. I have no interest in murdering my children. The very suggestion that I do is abhorrently repugnant. Where has the action been to curb this behavior? Well, what can I say? Sometimes you gotta fight fire with fire.
I'm pro-choice, too, but I understand that those who aren't view it very, very differently than I do.

I disagree with them quite regularly but I've never had a meltdown over that disagreement, even though the emotions are always elevated in this topic.

And, your reference to "right wing nuts" pretty much contradicts your username, but it wasn't as if I didn't realize that you weren't all that in the middle anyway. You CAN be, at times.

I want to be clear, I'm not "excusing" my actions because it's an emotional topic. But if my own comment was inappropriate, then so was Stephanie's comment, and all the comparable comments that are repeatedly uttered on this board. I agree that my comment was out of line. I knew that when I said it. My comment is no worse than what Stephanie said, but only one of them seems to be creating any kind of controversy. Why is that?

I want to be clear, I'm not "excusing" my actions because it's an emotional topic. But if my own comment was inappropriate, then so was Stephanie's comment, and all the comparable comments that are repeatedly uttered on this board. I agree that my comment was out of line. I knew that when I said it. My comment is no worse than what Stephanie said, but only one of them seems to be creating any kind of controversy. Why is that?
An objective inspection your comment and hers while applying the rules here would see the difference. I'm just talking about the rules.

See, most who are pro-life DO view abortion as murdering an unborn child. I'm stunned that YOU are stunned by that. It's only out of line if YOU take it personally. Which, apparently YOU did, based on your comment.

ETA: Just a suggestion, you may want to lay off any further discussions of mod actions.

Last edited:

Like I said, I don't think the issue is really "fairness" per se. At least, not intentionally. It's human nature that people can get used to things that they regularly encounter in a given environment. It's really just a form of availability cascade. When children are raised being abused by their parents, they tend to accept the abuse and fail to see it as repugnant. When non-abused siblings grow up watching the abuse, they tend to not question the immorality of it when directed at the usual target, yet still can find it highly objectionable if they suddenly find themselves on the receiving end.

Question then becomes how to break through that bias? Best way that I can come up with is to hit it head on, and then develop a reasoned discussion about what's going on.

An objective inspection your comment and hers while applying the rules here would see the difference. I'm just talking about the rules.

I believe that I'm being perfectly objective about this. The fact is that there IS no difference, other than the fact that her comment has been repeatedly tolerated.

See, most who are pro-life DO view abortion as murdering an unborn child. I'm stunned that YOU are stunned by that.

So what you're saying here is that because this is her belief, it's acceptable to invoke family members in an insulting way. So why does the same not apply if my comment is MY belief?

It's only out of line if YOU take it personally. Which, apparently YOU did, based on your comment.

And again, the same can be said about Stephanie being offended by my comment. The truth is, I didn't insult anyone in Stephanie's family. Now, isn't that how the rule goes? No insulting family members, right? Well, I didn't actually insult anyone in her family. I insulted her specifically. There is simply no way to condemn my comment while excusing Stephanie's comment, unless a double standard is to be applied.

I believe that I'm being perfectly objective about this. The fact is that there IS no difference, other than the fact that her comment has been repeatedly tolerated.

See, most who are pro-life DO view abortion as murdering an unborn child. I'm stunned that YOU are stunned by that.

So what you're saying here is that because this is her belief, it's acceptable to invoke family members in an insulting way. So why does the same not apply if my comment is MY belief?

It's only out of line if YOU take it personally. Which, apparently YOU did, based on your comment.

And again, the same can be said about Stephanie being offended by my comment. The truth is, I didn't insult anyone in Stephanie's family. Now, isn't that how the rule goes? No insulting family members, right? Well, I didn't actually insult anyone in her family. I insulted her specifically. There is simply no way to condemn my comment while excusing Stephanie's comment, unless a double standard is to be applied.
Hmmmm, well my practice of the rule is a bit more general and I don't find that my discussion or even my flames are affected in the least by that practice.

But, I am so out of this convo. I like keeping a clean record here.

What so Funny? You calling me a liar? I also very Vocally Defended him over the Lewinsky BS. Never thought it should have been an issue in the first place. But people Evolve and so do Parties. I became more Conservative on Certain Issues, and the Democrat Party has moved left. They Lost me. Not to say that the Republican Party has me or anything either.

But why am I arguing with you over it. You are gonna believe what ever Re-enforces the Stereotypes you believe about people who don't agree with you lol.

Honestly?

I don't think you are lying. I think you may believe that at some point you voted for Clinton twice, but never actually did in real life.

I don't think you live in reality, Charlie.

Several exchanges with you in threads, and the little meltdown you had in PMs have convinced me that you truly believe the things you post.

But they are only real in your mind.

Ok now you are just making shit up. What melt down in PMs?

You are nothing but a liar sir.

So it's uncivil for me to call you a liar, but it's okay for you to make homophobic slurs? That's just the epitome of sadness.

We're still waiting for you to tell us what "largest tax" Clinton passed. I think you can't b/c you know you lied in your OP and now you have to make it about shameful hypocritical character attacks.

Oh stop you fucking fag.

Go find another straight guy to hit on.

Or better yet..get with your own kind.

You might get lucky.

:D

Okay __ I think you one upped my uncivil display now. How about you tell met the "largest tax hike" that Clinton passed.

arrested-development-gob-chicken-dance-tee_design.png

What so Funny? You calling me a liar? I also very Vocally Defended him over the Lewinsky BS. Never thought it should have been an issue in the first place. But people Evolve and so do Parties. I became more Conservative on Certain Issues, and the Democrat Party has moved left. They Lost me. Not to say that the Republican Party has me or anything either.

But why am I arguing with you over it. You are gonna believe what ever Re-enforces the Stereotypes you believe about people who don't agree with you lol.

Honestly?

I don't think you are lying. I think you may believe that at some point you voted for Clinton twice, but never actually did in real life.

I don't think you live in reality, Charlie.

Several exchanges with you in threads, and the little meltdown you had in PMs have convinced me that you truly believe the things you post.

But they are only real in your mind.

Ok now you are just making shit up. What melt down in PMs?

You are nothing but a liar sir.

Charlie..you first called me a liar when I posted I had praised George HW Bush.

In the PMs you got the President I was posting about, wrong, stating it was his son, George W. Bush (Who I've also praised from time to time)..then you got the Topic wrong, stating it was about Executive Orders..when it was about the use of covert actions.

Then..you sent me a PM saying you hoped that far left and far right people would kill each other..and included me in that equation.

I dunno..sounds like a meltdown to me.

By the way...............how do you think that this is going to sit with the GOP base now that he's said he wants to be like Clinton?

I thought the GOP hated Clinton.

Forum List

Back