Romney-ites...name one conservative...

This isn't football, guy.

It's the same idea. Lincoln lost over and over again before winning the Presidency. I think he was 0-8. How many elections had McCain lost before losing in 2008? I assure you his record was better than 1-3. In fact I think his only loss was in 2000.

Actually, Lincoln only ran for federal office five times in his life, and he won 3 out of 5. He won his first race as a Congressman in 1846. He served one term as promised and was done. He ran for the Senate in 1854, but he was running to be appointed by the legislature, not popular election. That one he lost, but he was running as a Whig when the Whig party was on it's last legs. He lost in 1858 when he ran as a Republican, but it was against Douglas, who already had the job. He won in 1860 and again in 1864.

Abraham Lincoln - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So he had a 60% victory rate, and a 100% rate when put to the people.

Now let's look at Romney.

Lost to Ted Kennedy in 1994. By 17 points when a lot of people thought Kennedy was vulnerable after the whole rape case trial of his nephew, William Kennedy Smith. It was a year when Republicans were rolling over everyone, and Romney lost.

Won in 2002 for Governor. Spent 7 million of his own money, ran unopposed for the nomination, and his Democratic opponent was a non-entity. And it was 2002, when the Democrats were cowed into submission after 9/11. So despite essentially shooting at a staked rabbit, he only won with 49% of the vote.

2006- Wanted to run for re-election. Polls showed him trailing Devall Patrick by double digits. Left some other poor fool holding the bag.

Then we get to 2008. Spent millions of his own money. Raised millions from other Wall Street bloodsuckers. He lost Iowa to Mike Huckabee running on a shoe string. Lost NH to John McCain who had been declared dead a few months before. He barely won Michigan, but only because McCain didn't contest it. Michigan was holding an illegal early primary, and lost half its delegates. Romney barely won by promising to bail out the auto industry. (Then he condemned Obama for actually bailing out the auto industury.)

He then came in fourth in South Carolina. The guy who came in third quit the next day. He lost Florida.

Ah, and now we get to Super Tuesday. Do you know how many primaries Romney won? Two. Utah, where his fellow LDS cultists voted for him, and his home state of Massachusets, where McCain still came damned close despite not actually campaigning there.

So you can kind of see why the GOP establishment is trying to rig the game for Romney, left to his own devices, he usually manages to muck it up.
Past performance in elections does not predict future performances in future elections. You should have understood that without me trying to provide analogies and examples.

Nothing yet.

he's a moderate... not an extremist who would skeeve half the country.

you guys need to start thinking about that.

And are you honestly going to tell me that the Democrats are going to play nice with him?

Really?

Of course not. He could govern as Rombot 1.0 (the liberal one), and they'll still oppose him tooth and nail.

All the libs who praise him now, will be up in arms against him in November.

Just like they were for McCain.

Wait, I've seen this play before. You know, how Democrats told us from 2000 to 2008 that if only the Republicans nominated a sensible moderate like John McCain, you could almost stand to vote for a Republican.

And Republicans did an "Okeeee-doke" and nominated John McCain in 2008. (Although, to be fair, the other choices were awful.)

Then John McCain became the anti-Christ.

He got 4 million less votes than mean old "Conservative" "Divisive" George W. Bush did in 2004. So where was this big flood of Dems who wanted a moderate?

Oh, yeah. they voted for the Democrat.

If rick perry isn't our next President, and assuming Lonestar Logic is a man of his word, I win $15, 000.00.

That'll be a good day!

[mad google skilz, d00d

btw, he had zero intention of running for reelection in '06-he was out the door at the end of '05 revving up his pres campaign.

i think he sucks, but the sad thing is there's no one better at this point.

unless you really think one of those "social" conservatives has a chance in hell. :lol:

Actually, most of that I did from memory. I did have to verify some of the Lincoln stuff, though.

Bowing out for re-election is the same as losing. He didn't run on a "one term" platform.

I think the social conservative has a pretty good chance, because social conservatives will actually show up and vote.

They'll stay home with Romney. Some of them will actually vote for Obama because they hate Mormons.

Bush was a social conservative, and he won. (Kind of.) So was his Father. So was Reagan. And moderates will vote for a social conservative if they think he's dynamic enough, because they know that the president's ability to have much effect in that area is limited.

We need a leader, not a concensus.

Enthusiasm wins elections. Romney's supporters aren't enthusiastic (except for the LDS ones). Obama's people will be enthusiastic.

Past performance in elections does not predict future performances in future elections. You should have understood that without me trying to provide analogies and examples.

Actually, it really does.

Otherwise, you might as well nominate Lyndon LaRouche.

Romney will lose because people just don't like him. The very fact that he hasn't breached 25% (in 1999, Bush was at 64% at this point) of the GOP base, and they majority has flailed around looking for a not Romney is an indication of that.

The people who know Romney best like him the least.

It is very distressing to see republicans yet again forming the circular firing squad leaving the democrat the last man standing. Republicans are either democrat plants, or just doing the democrat's work for them.

If Romney is the nominee I will vote for him because the alternative is too horrendous to permit.

It is very distressing to see republicans yet again forming the circular firing squad leaving the democrat the last man standing. Republicans are either democrat plants, or just doing the democrat's work for them.

If Romney is the nominee I will vote for him because the alternative is too horrendous to permit.

Actually, if Romney is the nominee, I'll either look for a third party alternative or I might even vote for Obama.

they're both liberals, but at least Obama is straightfoward about what he is, and is a decent human being.

Romney is scum.

No it doesn't. Otherwise, McCain would have won in 2000. If you're saying we should vote for Perry over Romney because Perry is 6-0 and therefore has a better chance of defeating Obama, well, that's just asinine.

This isn't football, guy.

This is the ability to get people out and vote for your guy.

Romney isn't that guy. Perry might be. I'd feel better about Perry if he started earlier and spent more time defining himself instead of letting the Media do it.

But Romney's been running for President for 6 years now, and he's still only at that 25% of the GOP, with a lot of key constituencies unwilling to support him.

Well, that's simple. We need to completely rig the game so he can win! :blowup:

We need to rip into our own, we need to move up the primaries and try to sew this thing before a single vote is cast. We need to keep declaring Romney the winner in debates. We have totally ignore his liberal history, his flip flops, his sleazy business practices and his batshit crazy religion.

After all, the Republicans have lost 4 of the last 5 popular votes for President. They insist on foisting characters like McCain and Dole on the GOP, and wonder why folks like me who usually vote Republican don't get excited.

Of course, McCain and Dole are Gods compared to Romney.

Perry's not the guy, either. Have anyone else?

The narrative is being written. The nutters will never accept that thinking people, while not absolutely overjoyed with all matters, are essentially satisfied with the job that Obama has done with what was handed to him.

So.....the ONLY reason that he could ever win, according to the disloyal opposition here, is the inability of the GOP to find a conservative.

It is a nice story.
"Disloyal" opposition? News flash: Obama isn't king.

Opposition is never disloyal, in the free world, that is.

Fucking totalitarians.

No it doesn't. Otherwise, McCain would have won in 2000. If you're saying we should vote for Perry over Romney because Perry is 6-0 and therefore has a better chance of defeating Obama, well, that's just asinine.

Intrade has President Romney ticking up slightly to a 67% chance of winning the nomination. Perry is at 10%. Cain is at 9%. Perry was pushing 40% a month ago. It's hard to see Perry getting elected President. He says too many dumb things.

I think I've proved my authenticity over the last three years.

I'll vote for Obama-lite if I am convinced he'll repeal Obamacare, and I've said a much a recently as yesterday.

But I'm hoping it won't come to that.

I'm hoping voters will see the light...that Romney is a charlatan.

A pretender.

We are how many replies into this thread and so far not even one conservative policy instituted by Romney when he was Governor...not one!

Romney is all talk, no action.

All thunder, no rain.

It's not what a man says...It's what he does that counts.

And what did Romney do when he had the opportunity...nothing.

Last edited:
he's a moderate... not an extremist who would skeeve half the country.

you guys need to start thinking about that.

Moderate liberal.........

We know that.,

and Obama's a left liberal. If you vote for anyone besides Romney in the primaries, you're supporting Obama: a left liberal.

That would be your opinion.

But if you vote for a liberal from either party you voted for a liberal. :eek:

New Topics

Forum List

Back