Romney is Hoover? See the promises from 1928

Again...you post nothing to back your absurd opinions.

The DJIA hit bottom at 6,547.05 on March 9, 2009. At Friday’s close it was 13579.47, more than doubled.

The broadest measure of unemployment is the Labor Department’s U-6. In February 2009 (the first full month Obama was in office) it stood at 16.0% and currently it is at 14.6%. [source BLS Monthly Labor Report, historical series A-15]

In February 2009 total non-farm private employment was 108,075,000 (down from 111,150,000 a year earlier thanks to W) and in August 2012 it was 111,558,000. So by the end of the year, Obama will have gotten back the three million jobs the Republicans pissed away in 2008. [source BLS Monthly Labor Report historical series A-8]

I would reply to more, except that your writing is incoherent.

From my vantage point, it appears you think very simplistically (the left elite loves people like you because they can dupe you repeatedly)...you think Ds good, Rs bad....when in reality, they both SUCK because the former are commies and the later are progressives.

I realize that to the righties on this board, it is a reality-free and fact-free zone, but even someone with the limited intelligence you have demonstrated might be able to find the widely published statistics on economics and finance. BTW, in September 2008 I published a prediction that the Dow would bottom at 6200 and the official unemployment rate would top out at 10.5%. Apparently us lefties who use econometric models do better than you folks who believe in “confidence fairies” and “expansionary austerity” and get their theory by reading Ayn Rand whining drivel and who haven’t got even the direction right yet. According to you folks interest rates should be over 20% and we should be experiencing hyperinflation. Go buy some gold so you can lose even more money.

Come back when your manners, economic theory, and statistics don't come out of a Cracker Jack box.

Looks as if gipper has run away. Nice job exposing his high level of ignorance.

Looks as if gipper ran away after oldfart kicked his ignorant ass. See post 10 above.

Notice how many new 'conservatives' are posting and how ridiculous are their posts?

Hoover STILL won.

... even after you stomped your feet!! :clap2::clap2:

Hoover won in 1928, of course. And 8 months later the economy crashed and the Great Depression Era began. It's hard to blame Hoover for the crash, and hard to blame Hoover for failing to put the economy back on its feet. The point of the thread is not that Hoover was responsible for the Depression but that no president before or after Hoover could fix the economy in one term.

The same is true today. Your side claiming Romney's business experience will fix the economy has no basis in fact. In fact, Romney is advocating policy which created the mess we are in today.

Again...you post nothing to back your absurd opinions.

The DJIA hit bottom at 6,547.05 on March 9, 2009. At Friday’s close it was 13579.47, more than doubled.

The broadest measure of unemployment is the Labor Department’s U-6. In February 2009 (the first full month Obama was in office) it stood at 16.0% and currently it is at 14.6%. [source BLS Monthly Labor Report, historical series A-15]

In February 2009 total non-farm private employment was 108,075,000 (down from 111,150,000 a year earlier thanks to W) and in August 2012 it was 111,558,000. So by the end of the year, Obama will have gotten back the three million jobs the Republicans pissed away in 2008. [source BLS Monthly Labor Report historical series A-8]

I would reply to more, except that your writing is incoherent.

From my vantage point, it appears you think very simplistically (the left elite loves people like you because they can dupe you repeatedly)...you think Ds good, Rs bad....when in reality, they both SUCK because the former are commies and the later are progressives.

I realize that to the righties on this board, it is a reality-free and fact-free zone, but even someone with the limited intelligence you have demonstrated might be able to find the widely published statistics on economics and finance. BTW, in September 2008 I published a prediction that the Dow would bottom at 6200 and the official unemployment rate would top out at 10.5%. Apparently us lefties who use econometric models do better than you folks who believe in “confidence fairies” and “expansionary austerity” and get their theory by reading Ayn Rand whining drivel and who haven’t got even the direction right yet. According to you folks interest rates should be over 20% and we should be experiencing hyperinflation. Go buy some gold so you can lose even more money.

Come back when your manners, economic theory, and statistics don't come out of a Cracker Jack box.

Looks as if gipper has run away. Nice job exposing his high level of ignorance.

Really? Funny...I don't see as you do.

Please point out where my posts were incorrect.

Looks as if gipper ran away after oldfart kicked his ignorant ass. See post 10 above.

Notice how many new 'conservatives' are posting and how ridiculous are their posts?

Hoover STILL won.

... even after you stomped your feet!! :clap2::clap2:

Hoover won in 1928, of course. And 8 months later the economy crashed and the Great Depression Era began. It's hard to blame Hoover for the crash, and hard to blame Hoover for failing to put the economy back on its feet. The point of the thread is not that Hoover was responsible for the Depression but that no president before or after Hoover could fix the economy in one term.

The same is true today. Your side claiming Romney's business experience will fix the economy has no basis in fact. In fact, Romney is advocating policy which created the mess we are in today.

I agree with part of what you said...I am sure you can guess which part. :clap2:

For me it really just comes down to what we know works - free market capitalism- Romney

We can choose that or we can go with what we know doesn't work and never has worked - left wing economic engineering- Obama

Hooverville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A 'Hooverville' was the popular name for shanty towns built by homeless people during the Great Depression. They were named after Herbert Hoover, who was President of the United States during the onset of the Depression and widely blamed for it. The term was coined by Charles Michelson, publicity chief of the Democratic National Committee.[1]

Hoover won in 1928, of course. And 8 months later the economy crashed and the Great Depression Era began. It's hard to blame Hoover for the crash, and hard to blame Hoover for failing to put the economy back on its feet. The point of the thread is not that Hoover was responsible for the Depression but that no president before or after Hoover could fix the economy in one term

Bullshit. Hoover is squarely to blame for not putting the economy back on its feet. It was his policies of government meddling and massive tax hikes that put us into a depression. That's what kills me about how Democrats will praise FDR's efforts, yet excoriate Hoover, when all FDR did was take Hoover's very own policies and extrapolate them, putting us in a ten year economic depression.

Hoover won in 1928, of course. And 8 months later the economy crashed and the Great Depression Era began. It's hard to blame Hoover for the crash, and hard to blame Hoover for failing to put the economy back on its feet. The point of the thread is not that Hoover was responsible for the Depression but that no president before or after Hoover could fix the economy in one term

Bullshit. Hoover is squarely to blame for not putting the economy back on its feet. It was his policies of government meddling and massive tax hikes that put us into a depression. That's what kills me about how Democrats will praise FDR's efforts, yet excoriate Hoover, when all FDR did was take Hoover's very own policies and extrapolate them, putting us in a ten year economic depression.

So true. Hoover and FDR were both progressives who thought government had all the answers. Both men were not unlike W and Big Ears. Thus we are now suffering under a weak economy AGAIN....thanks to their ineffective big government policies.

One would think our leaders intelligent enough to learn from the past. But, sadly they are not. Another reason among many for limiting the power of the POTUS and the fed gov.

It seems America has long ago decided the economic well-being of America is the president's responsiblity, not the Congress, not the laws of Congress and not the corporations, but the president's. The Congress has now gone home, and Republicans now armed with their battle cry that Obama should not be president because he didn't solve America's economic problems can do battle.
The only question I have is, if America expects the president to be responsible for the American economy should the president be given the economic powers to carry out those responsiblities? Maybe a constitutional amendment that Congress can declare a state of economic emegency and the president be given a new set of economic powers, just as we might do in a war? Of course that would require Congress to give up some of their powers in that emergency, not likely.
America will have more recession/deprssions in the future and we will have to go through the same process as we have in the past, blame the president be it a Repubican or a Democrat.

It seems America has long ago decided the economic well-being of America is the president's responsiblity, not the Congress, not the laws of Congress and not the corporations, but the president's. The Congress has now gone home, and Republicans now armed with their battle cry that Obama should not be president because he didn't solve America's economic problems can do battle.
The only question I have is, if America expects the president to be responsible for the American economy should the president be given the economic powers to carry out those responsiblities? Maybe a constitutional amendment that Congress can declare a state of economic emegency and the president be given a new set of economic powers, just as we might do in a war? Of course that would require Congress to give up some of their powers in that emergency, not likely.
America will have more recession/deprssions in the future and we will have to go through the same process as we have in the past, blame the president be it a Repubican or a Democrat.

Yet the only time we had a "Great" Depression (better name: FDR Depression) was when we had both a central bank and a central planner in the WH.

Yet the only time we had a "Great" Depression (better name: FDR Depression) was when we had both a central bank and a central planner in the WH.

Well at least you're now looking for the causes of the Great Depression, something that FDR and his group did after taking office. Historians may balk at calling it the FDR depression as it started after some years of Repulican rule and even Hoover had been in office three years before FDR took over.
If Republicans can convince historians and economists that FDR started the Great Depression we should know about it. We had a central bank for some years after the country started and finally Jackson, a Democrat, got rid of it for a time. In fact, Jackson is the only president that payed off the national debt.
Might check the historical economists and see what they have concluded about the cause of the great Depression. And finally do we have any sure means of preventing or curing depression/recessions at this time except: don't elect Republicans?

Might check the historical economists and see what they have concluded about the cause of the great Depression. And finally do we have any sure means of preventing or curing depression/recessions at this time except: don't elect Republicans?

The smart money is on the following for both 1929--1933 and 2007--2009:

1. A prolonged boom lead to an attitude that asset values can only go up (so you don't have to worry about loans if you have collateral), that lenders and markets have gotten dramatically better at managing risk ( so lenders and investors get sloppy), and that we don't need all those silly regulations we put in place after the last time (we can all get so much richer if we get rid of those obstacles to unfettered free enterprise).
2. Financial panic when a bubble bursts creating an Irving Fisher classic debt-deflation cycle with asset values plummeting and loans defaulting.
3. A Minsky moment when all the financial institutions realize they are overexposed.
4. A Keynesian spiral downward as lack of effective demand spreads. Everyone tries to reduce debt (i.e. stops purchasing consumer goods and imports as well as investment goods) at the same time.
5. Misguided fiscal austerity (the fall in consumer demand and investment is joined by a fall in government demand) and monetary policies acceelrate the decline until a classic Keynesian liquidity trap develops.
6. Legislative idiocy starts a trade war that exports depression, which circles the globe and returns home to bite us in the ass. [Currently we are not quite here yet, but just give China bashing a little more time and we could have a real trade war!)

There, the recipe for the Perfect Depression. And it generally takes a Republican with a career as a succssful businessman (Hoover & Romney) to make sure no one screws up the economics-as-morality-play philosophy by actually solving he problem.

The smart money is on the following for both 1929--1933 and 2007--2009:

1. A prolonged boom lead to an attitude that asset values can only go up (so you don't have to worry about loans if you have collateral), that lenders and markets have gotten dramatically better at managing risk ( so lenders and investors get sloppy), and that we don't need all those silly regulations we put in place after the last time (we can all get so much richer if we get rid of those obstacles to unfettered free enterprise).
2. Financial panic when a bubble bursts creating an Irving Fisher classic debt-deflation cycle with asset values plummeting and loans defaulting.
3. A Minsky moment when all the financial institutions realize they are overexposed.
4. A Keynesian spiral downward as lack of effective demand spreads. Everyone tries to reduce debt (i.e. stops purchasing consumer goods and imports as well as investment goods) at the same time.
5. Misguided fiscal austerity (the fall in consumer demand and investment is joined by a fall in government demand) and monetary policies acceelrate the decline until a classic Keynesian liquidity trap develops.
6. Legislative idiocy starts a trade war that exports depression, which circles the globe and returns home to bite us in the ass. [Currently we are not quite here yet, but just give China bashing a little more time and we could have a real trade war!)

There, the recipe for the Perfect Depression. And it generally takes a Republican with a career as a succssful businessman (Hoover & Romney) to make sure no one screws up the economics-as-morality-play philosophy by actually solving he problem.

How can you liken Hoover to Romney, other than both were successful businessmen and Rs, when Hoover was there at the start of the Great Depression (thus worsening it by implementing dumb big government policies) and Romney will be coming in, should he win, many years after the start?

A more apt analogy is Bush is Hoover and Obama is FDR. Bush like Hoover intervened in the economy like most progressives fools tend to do making things worse. BO then compounded the economic woes by imposing even worse progressive policies as did the A-Hole fascist FDR.

If Romney wins and he continues the idiotic Keynesian/Big Government policies, thus prolonging or worsening our economic situation, than we say he is an extension of BO or FDR. If BO wins, God forbid, and continues to impose his failed progressive polices, then he is most certainly like the jackass FDR.

I suspect no matter which way the election goes, most Americans will get screwed. The top 1% though, should do very well.

Last edited:
I know, unemployment percentage is the only economic indicator you understand (of course you're not alone, it seems it is the only economic indicator all of you Obama detractors understand).

Tell that to the people that ARE unemployed,you think they are detracted?

Have we seen some improvements,sure can't stay on the bottom for ever.but we have not come anywhere close to what we were told wold happen,and our debt has ballooned .

I give credit to the hard working people that want to get ahead in life not anyone in DC

in what way is Romney similar to Hoover.... At least the treatment towards pets are different.........

aiiooo.com/photo.php?ptid=10693_1349257174_62986_10189

Do you think so?

Forum List

Back