Romney Invokes Biblical References And Presidential Leadership In Condolence Speech

Fred_Garvin

Rookie
Jun 20, 2012
Romney shined as very 'Presidential' this morning when he gave a condolence speech on the tragedy in Aurora, CO. His speech was moving and was heartfelt with referencing God and other biblical references. Obama's condolences lacked the word of God in this tragedy. This is troubling to say the least. Obama's speech lacked sincerity for the victims and came across as cold. Romney on the other hand had God in his heart. He said:

Transcript, Video: Mitt Romney Offers Condolences to Those Affected by Colorado Shooting | Fox News Insider

video of heartfelt speech:
Mitt Romney Offers Condolences to Those Affected by Colorado Shooting

Good morning. And thank you for joining with the Senator and me on this very sad day. And thank you for Father Christian for beginning this gathering with a word of prayer. Our hearts break with the sadness of this unspeakable tragedy. Anne and I join the President and First Lady and all Americans in offering our deepest condolences for those whose lives were shattered in a few moments. A few moments of evil in Colorado.

I stand before you today, not as a man running for office, but as a father and grandfather, a husband, an American. This is a time for each of us to look into our hearts and remember how much we love one another. And how much we love and how much we care for our great country. There’s so much love and goodness in the heart of America.

In the coming days, we’ll surely learn about the lives that have been lost and the families that have been harmed by this hateful act. We’ll come to know more about the talents and the gifts that each victim possessed. And will come to understand the hope and the opportunity that’s been lost.
Our hearts break for the victims and their families. We pray the wounded will recover. And that those who are grieving will know the nearness of God.

Today, we not only feel a sense of grief but perhaps also of helplessness. But there is something we can do. We can offer comfort to someone near us who are suffering or heavy laden. And we can mourn with those who mourn in Colorado.

This morning, Colorado lost youthful voices which would’ve brightened their homes, enriched their schools and brought joys to their families. Our prayers at the comforter might bring the peace to their souls that surpasses our understanding. The apostle Paul explained “Blesseth be God, who comforteth us in all our tribulations, that we may be able to comfort them which turn any trouble.”

What we do now is how evil is overcome. And we’re seeing that greater power today in the goodness and compassion of a wounded community. Grieving and worried families in Aurora are surrounded with love today and not just by those who are with them and holding them in their arms. They can also know they’re being lifted up in prayer by people in every part of our great nation.

Now, into the hard days to come, may every one of them feel the sympathy of a whole nation. And the comfort of a living God. There will be justice for those responsible. But that’s another matter for another day. Today is a moment to grieve and remember, to reach out and to help. To appreciate our blessings in life.

Each one of us will hold our kids a little closer. Linger a bit longer with a colleague or a neighbor. Reach out to a family member or a friend. We’ll all spend a little less time thinking about the worries of our day and more time wondering about how to help those who need compassion most.

The answer is that we can come together. We will show our fellow citizens the good heart of the America we know and love. God bless you for being here and sharing together this moment of sorrow. And God bless, the United States of America. Thank you

What an affirmation of love and faith....very presidential and he showed leadership.

Last edited:
Romney shined as very 'Presidential' this morning when he gave a condolence speech on the tragedy in Aurora, CO. His speech was moving and was heartfelt with referencing God and other biblical references. Obama's condolences lacked the word of God in this tragedy. This is troubling to say the least. Obama's speech lacked sincerity for the victims and came across as cold. Romney on the other hand had God in his heart. He said:

Transcript, Video: Mitt Romney Offers Condolences to Those Affected by Colorado Shooting | Fox News Insider

video of heartfelt speech:
Mitt Romney Offers Condolences to Those Affected by Colorado Shooting

Good morning. And thank you for joining with the Senator and me on this very sad day. And thank you for Father Christian for beginning this gathering with a word of prayer. Our hearts break with the sadness of this unspeakable tragedy. Anne and I join the President and First Lady and all Americans in offering our deepest condolences for those whose lives were shattered in a few moments. A few moments of evil in Colorado.

I stand before you today, not as a man running for office, but as a father and grandfather, a husband, an American. This is a time for each of us to look into our hearts and remember how much we love one another. And how much we love and how much we care for our great country. There’s so much love and goodness in the heart of America.

In the coming days, we’ll surely learn about the lives that have been lost and the families that have been harmed by this hateful act. We’ll come to know more about the talents and the gifts that each victim possessed. And will come to understand the hope and the opportunity that’s been lost.
Our hearts break for the victims and their families. We pray the wounded will recover. And that those who are grieving will know the nearness of God.

Today, we not only feel a sense of grief but perhaps also of helplessness. But there is something we can do. We can offer comfort to someone near us who are suffering or heavy laden. And we can mourn with those who mourn in Colorado.

This morning, Colorado lost youthful voices which would’ve brightened their homes, enriched their schools and brought joys to their families. Our prayers at the comforter might bring the peace to their souls that surpasses our understanding. The apostle Paul explained “Blesseth be God, who comforteth us in all our tribulations, that we may be able to comfort them which turn any trouble.”

What we do now is how evil is overcome. And we’re seeing that greater power today in the goodness and compassion of a wounded community. Grieving and worried families in Aurora are surrounded with love today and not just by those who are with them and holding them in their arms. They can also know they’re being lifted up in prayer by people in every part of our great nation.

Now, into the hard days to come, may every one of them feel the sympathy of a whole nation. And the comfort of a living God. There will be justice for those responsible. But that’s another matter for another day. Today is a moment to grieve and remember, to reach out and to help. To appreciate our blessings in life.

Each one of us will hold our kids a little closer. Linger a bit longer with a colleague or a neighbor. Reach out to a family member or a friend. We’ll all spend a little less time thinking about the worries of our day and more time wondering about how to help those who need compassion most.

The answer is that we can come together. We will show our fellow citizens the good heart of the America we know and love. God bless you for being here and sharing together this moment of sorrow. And God bless, the United States of America. Thank you

What an affirmation of love and faith....very presidential and he showed leadership.

Ya...His comment about "A Living God" is near was especially notable. I was expecting him to mention the planet Kolob. I didn't know Kolob was "near" earth????...HMMMmmmm....????? Maybe NASA should look into it.

“I’m not familiar with precisely what I said, but I stand by what I said, whatever it was." - Mitt Romney

Romney shined as very 'Presidential' this morning when he gave a condolence speech on the tragedy in Aurora, CO. His speech was moving and was heartfelt with referencing God and other biblical references. Obama's condolences lacked the word of God in this tragedy. This is troubling to say the least. Obama's speech lacked sincerity for the victims and came across as cold. Romney on the other hand had God in his heart

For the atheist victims, that was no doubt "sincere."

His speech was moving and was heartfelt with referencing God and other biblical references.
So it wouldn't have been heartfelt had he not made biblical references?
Article Six of the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Article Six of the United States Constitution establishes the Constitution and the laws and treaties of the United States made in accordance with it as the supreme law of the land, forbids a religious test as a requirement for holding a governmental position and holds the United States under the Constitution responsible for debts incurred by the United States under the Articles of Confederation.

And both men are suspending campaign ads in Colorado, another sign of the decency we need now.

His speech was moving and was heartfelt with referencing God and other biblical references.
Article Six of the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Article Six of the United States Constitution establishes the Constitution and the laws and treaties of the United States made in accordance with it as the supreme law of the land, forbids a religious test as a requirement for holding a governmental position and holds the United States under the Constitution responsible for debts incurred by the United States under the Articles of Confederation.

Heartfelt for some is religion, for others it is hackery. I prefer religion.

what are you saying? Spell it out. Are you saying for someone to officially give a fuck, they have to be a member of an organized religion? I call bullshit.

what are you saying? Spell it out. Are you saying for someone to officially give a fuck, they have to be a member of an organized religion? I call bullshit.

No, I am saying you are a hack because you tried to turn a comment that both Romney made a heartfelt speech into a debate about religion.

No, I am saying you are a hack because you tried to turn a comment that both Romney made a heartfelt speech into a debate about religion.

I referenced the starter of this thread NOT Romney. The starter of this thread claimed the speech was heartfelt because biblical references were made.

I referenced the starter of this thread NOT Romney. The starter of this thread claimed the speech was heartfelt because biblical references were made.

Even if he did, what does the constitution have to do with him thinking it is heartfelt?

Still a hack.

Forum List

Back