Romney impersonated a police officer

Oh, gee. I wonder WHERE he could have gotten the idea. >.>

Romney Aide Resigns - NYTimes.com

A top aide to Mitt Romney has resigned amid accusations that he impersonated a police officer and distributed fake badges to staff.

Jay Garrity, who had been on leave from his position as the Romney campaign’s director of operations since earlier impersonation allegations surfaced, stepped down Friday following a report in The Boston Herald in which unidentified people accused him of distributing badges to members of the advance team to gain early access to event venues, control crowds and reporters and avoid paying a highway toll.

Romney aide’s bogus badges: Sources detail ‘illegal’ security tactic - BostonHerald.com

In an apparent violation of the law, a controversial aide to ex-Gov. Mitt Romney created phony law enforcement badges that he and other staffers used on the campaign trail to strong-arm reporters, avoid paying tolls and trick security guards into giving them immediate access to campaign venues, sources told the Herald.

The bogus badges were part of the bizarre security tactics allegedly employed by Jay Garrity, the director of operations for Romney who is under investigation for impersonating a law enforcement officer in two states. Garrity is on a leave of absence from the campaign while the probe is ongoing.

Mitt Romney's Skeleton Closet -- political scandals, quotes and character

So this was not just one staffer's personal fetish. Sources named at least two other Romney staffers who used the badges -- Mark Glanville and William Ritter. "They knew the badges were fake and probably illegal," the campaign source said. In fact, Garrity was Romney's right-hand man and rarely left his side. It's hard to believe that Mitt Romney himself did not notice the fact that Garrity was constantly flashing a police badge as they blew through security into various events. The Romney campaign has not commented on whether Mitt Romney knew about the badges.

Some rich kids have parents in high places.

Some rich kids think that makes them more worthy than other people.

Those rich spoiled kids have no idea what the real world is like and would fall flat on their faces if they had to deal with the real world on their own merits.

There are posters here just like robmoney who have connections with big money and big power who think that makes them better than others.

And let's see. Far as we know since leaving his days as a yute Romney has never cut off someone's hair who didn't want it cut or donned a police uniform and pulled drivers over on the highway. And no examples either of other strange behavior in the ensuing nearly half century.

D-E-S-P-E-R-A-T-E...

Since BD cannot prove her accusation about Romney, she has decided to deflect by changing the subject.

How sad. 2nd credibility fail in one thread. She's on a roll.... along side TruthMocker... the big question now becomes..... which one of them will hit bottom first?

My money is on TruthMocker.... since she has yet to establish that impersonating an office is a crime.

I wanna hear Mittens say he did some stupid things when he was a youth again. Ya Willard...just try THAT again when it comes to psychotic behavior like impersonating an officer of the law and pulling people over out in public.

I suppose it could be explained down to a prank if he was instructed to do this thing as a College rush thing..BUT he did it in High School previous to college without prompting. When you are 18 you get tried as an adult for a good reason.

As awful as this thing could be if true, Mittens had better get way AHEAD of this story and come TOTALLY clean about it. If he even starts to say "I don't remember but if I did I will accept responsibility" as an excuse then he is toast.

Impersonating an officer is not a fucking joke

You have yet to prove he actually impersonated a cop. All we have is a second hand account from a guy who said that Romney said he was going to impersonate a cop.

That wouldn't hold up in a kangaroo court.

The National Memo » Did Young Mitt Romney Impersonate A Police Officer? Another Witness Says Yes

Yes, I know; /yawn - who cares. Y'all know the drill.

So recalls Robin Madden, who had also just arrived as a freshman, the startling incident began when Romney called him and two or three other residents into his room, saying, “Come up, I want to show you something.” When they entered Romney’s room, “and laid out on his bed was a Michigan State Trooper’s uniform.”

Madden, a native Texan who graduated from Stanford in 1970 and went on to become a successful television producer and writer, has never forgotten that strange moment, which he has recounted to friends over the years as he observed his former classmate’s political ascent. The National Memo learned of the incident from a longtime Madden friend to whom he had mentioned it years ago.

Said Madden in a recent interview, “He told us that he had gotten the uniform from his father,” George Romney, then the Governor of Michigan, whose security detail was staffed by uniformed troopers. “He told us that he was using it to pull over drivers on the road. He also had a red flashing light that he would attach to the top of his white Rambler.”

In Madden’s recollection, confirmed by his wife Susan, who also attended Stanford during those years, “we thought it was all pretty weird. We all thought, ‘Wow, that’s pretty creepy.’ And after that, we didn’t have much interaction with him,” although both Madden and Romney were prep school boys living in the same dorm, called Rinconada.

Other eyewitnesses have previously recalled Romney’s alleged use of a police or trooper uniform in pranks during his high school years at the exclusive Cranbrook School in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan.

That's nice. Let's all file this under "things we regret doing when we were stupid kids in school" and move on to the more important things that are facing this country right now, like the massive budget deficit and unemployment.

Forum List

Back