Romney: I’d No Longer Nominate Judges Like John Roberts

so he would make sure he didn't nominate someone with the integrity to do the right thing even if it goes against his political grain?

exactly why i'd never vote for romney.
Ummm, Jillian? Romney didn't say what the OP says he said.

Except that he did:

Mitt Romney said on Thursday he could no longer support Chief Justice John Roberts after his vote on the Affordable Care Act because Roberts acted too much in the interest of politics, but Roberts is not the only one on the court facing that criticism. Another Romney favorite, Antonin Scalia, has been weathering it as well.

Romney's No Longer a Fan of 'Political' John Roberts - Politics - The Atlantic Wire

so he would make sure he didn't nominate someone with the integrity to do the right thing even if it goes against his political grain?

exactly why i'd never vote for romney.
Ummm, Jillian? Romney didn't say what the OP says he said.

Except that he did:

Mitt Romney said on Thursday he could no longer support Chief Justice John Roberts after his vote on the Affordable Care Act because Roberts acted too much in the interest of politics, but Roberts is not the only one on the court facing that criticism. Another Romney favorite, Antonin Scalia, has been weathering it as well.

Romney's No Longer a Fan of 'Political' John Roberts - Politics - The Atlantic Wire
Here is what he said:

Romney: Well, the Supreme Court has the final word. And their final word is that Obamacare is a tax. So it's a tax. It's -- they decided it was constitutional. So it is a tax and it's constitutional. That's -- that's the final word. That's what it is. Now, I agreed with the dissent. I would have taken a different course. But the dissent wasn't the majority. The majority has ruled. And their rule is final.

Romney: Well, I certainly wouldn't nominate someone who -- I knew -- was gonna come out with a decision I violently disagreed with or vehemently, rather, disagreed with. And he reached a conclusion I think that was -- not accurate and not -- an appropriate conclusion. But -- that being said, he's a very bright person. And I -- I'd look for -- individuals that have intelligence and believe in following the constitution.

Crawford: Are you troubled that he switched his vote? He was initially with the conservatives to strike down the heart of the law, the individual mandate, and then changed his mind to join the liberals to uphold it?

Romney: Well, it -- it gives the impression that the decision was made not based upon constitutional -- foundation but instead -- political consideration about the -- relationship between the branches of government. But we won't really know the answers to those things until the justice himself speaks out -- maybe some time in history.​

Not quite the same thing when context is added. ;)

By Sahil Kapur

Mitt Romney suggested in a Wednesday interview he would no longer nominate a judge like John Roberts, now that the U.S. chief justice has cast the deciding vote to uphold the Affordable Care Act.

On his campaign website, Romney states that as president he “will nominate judges in the mold of Chief Justice Roberts and Justices Scalia, Thomas, and Alito.” But apparently Roberts no longer makes the cut.

CBS reporter Jan Crawford asked the Republican nominee if he’d still nominate a justice like the Bush-appointed Roberts, knowing what he knows now.

“Well, I certainly wouldn’t nominate someone who I knew was gonna come out with a decision I violently disagreed with — or vehemently, rather, disagreed with,” Romney said. “And he reached a conclusion I think that was not accurate and not an appropriate conclusion. But that being said, he’s a very bright person and I’d look for individuals that have intelligence and believe in following the Constitution.”​

More: Romney: No Judges Who Disagree With Me (VIDEO) | TPM2012

As if he can predict! Roberts was a Bush selection, Warren chosen by Eisenhower. Byron White, who became conservative on many issues, was selected by Kennedy. The fine John Paul Stevens, by Ford.

Forum List

Back