Romney Flip Flops on Mandate, now says it is a tax

Mitt Romney said the federal health care reform mandate constitutes a "tax" Wednesday, contradicting the way a senior adviser to his campaign characterized his position earlier this week.

Eric Fehrnstrom, the senior adviser to Romney's campaign, said in a Monday interview that Romney thought the fee that will be generated by the federal law was not a tax despite the Supreme Court's ruling.
Romney is clearly ignorant of the subject, and has no idea what he’s talking about. And conflicting with an advisor indicates a campaign in continued disarray.

Romney is wrong because he agrees with the Supreme Court?

I wonder if Romney owns stock in International House of Pancakes?

anti_romney_pancakes_flip_flops_waffles_shirt-rd4d95000aae34628bbd9982deb9e73d2_f0ce3_400.jpg%3Fbg%3D0xFFFFFF

The left calls Romney a flip-flopper and says that Obama evolves I just don't really understand the difference other than just politics.

Well, I guess that's what makes you who you are...

Romney is not wrong because he nuances the Court's decision. He is clear. He would have dissented if he had been on the Court, but the majority decision makes it a tax.

This is honorable. Any who says it isn't either is voting for Obama or would have voted for Santorum or Bachmann, heaven help us.

What a stupid lame-ass thread. He agrees with the dissent, as many of us do, but since the SC ruled it as a tax he has to live with that, just as the rest of us do, and he stated as such. But the leftists just can't help themselves and scream FLIPPER! I will give you some credit, though ... you make it fun for the rest of us to watch as you all make asses of yourselves. :lol:

Last edited:
I wonder if Romney owns stock in International House of Pancakes?

The left calls Romney a flip-flopper and says that Obama evolves I just don't really understand the difference other than just politics.

Somehow it's just different.
Obama swore up and down it was not a tax. The legislation itself does not call it a tax. It survived only by being a tax. It is a tax. Was Obama lying or was he ignorant?
Obama was against gay marriage in 2008. Now he's for it, mainly because Biden came out.
Obama was for closing Gitmo. Now he's for keeping it open.
Obama promised no one making under $250k would pay more in tax.
Now we have the biggest tax increase in history.
Obama promised the stimulus would reduce unemployment below 7%. It's been over 8% his entire presidency.
Obama stated raising the debt ceiling showed a failure of leadership. HE's raised it twide.
Obama promised he would not hire lobbyists. He's hired plenty.
Obama promised all negotations would be put on C-SPAN. The bill was written in a dark alley and rushed through Congress using legislative legerdemain.

I think we see who the real flip flopper is here.

Since everyone else seems to just pick and choose what they want from the article allow me to do the same.
"I said that I agreed with the dissent and the dissent made it very clear that they felt it was unconstitutional. But the dissent lost," Romney said. "It's in the minority. And so now the Supreme Court has spoken, and while I agreed with dissent, it's taken over by the fact that the majority of the court said that it's a tax and therefore it is a tax."

Most people would consider that living with reality, but NY considers that flip flopping. :eusa_shhh:

Romney is not a leader, he's simply echoing what every Republican talking head has said for the past several days, "it's a tax". So what? What did he call it when he signed Romneycare into law as Gov. of MA?

Since everyone else seems to just pick and choose what they want from the article allow me to do the same.
"I said that I agreed with the dissent and the dissent made it very clear that they felt it was unconstitutional. But the dissent lost," Romney said. "It's in the minority. And so now the Supreme Court has spoken, and while I agreed with dissent, it's taken over by the fact that the majority of the court said that it's a tax and therefore it is a tax."

Most people would consider that living with reality, but NY considers that flip flopping. :eusa_shhh:

Romney is not a leader, he's simply echoing what every Republican talking head has said for the past several days, "it's a tax". So what? What did he call it when he signed Romneycare into law as Gov. of MA?
The answer to your question is in the article.

The high court last Thursday upheld the law's individual mandate – which requires individuals who can afford it to obtain coverage, or otherwise pay a fee collected by the Internal Revenue Service - under Congress' taxation power.

But it allowed states have broader powers, which Romney cited as the reason the Massachusetts fee is not a tax.

"States can implement penalties and mandates and so forth under their constitutions, which is what Massachusetts did," he said in the CBS interview. "But the federal government does not have those powers, and therefore for the Supreme Court to reach the conclusion it did – that the law was constitutional – they had to find it was a tax, and they did."

What a stupid lame-ass thread. He agrees with the dissent, as many of us do, but since the SC ruled it as a tax he has to live with that, just as the rest of us do, as he stated as such. But the leftists just can't help themselves and scream FLIPPER! I will give you some credit, though ... you make it fun for the rest of us to watch as you all make asses of yourselves. :lol:

suck that romney dick

What a stupid lame-ass thread. He agrees with the dissent, as many of us do, but since the SC ruled it as a tax he has to live with that, just as the rest of us do, as he stated as such. But the leftists just can't help themselves and scream FLIPPER! I will give you some credit, though ... you make it fun for the rest of us to watch as you all make asses of yourselves. :lol:

suck that romney dick

Now you sound like the perverted sex wacks of the far right.

suck that romney dick

Now you sound like the perverted sex wacks of the far right.

romney is your messiah, God i hope he wins. This will be awesome playing at your guys game.

What a stupid lame-ass thread. He agrees with the dissent, as many of us do, but since the SC ruled it as a tax he has to live with that, just as the rest of us do, and he stated as such. But the leftists just can't help themselves and scream FLIPPER! I will give you some credit, though ... you make it fun for the rest of us to watch as you all make asses of yourselves. :lol:

suck that romney dick

I will give you some credit, though ... you make it fun for the rest of us to watch as you all make asses of yourselves.

Thx for the giggles!

The answer to your question is in the article.

The high court last Thursday upheld the law's individual mandate – which requires individuals who can afford it to obtain coverage, or otherwise pay a fee collected by the Internal Revenue Service - under Congress' taxation power.

But it allowed states have broader powers, which Romney cited as the reason the Massachusetts fee is not a tax.

"States can implement penalties and mandates and so forth under their constitutions, which is what Massachusetts did," he said in the CBS interview. "But the federal government does not have those powers, and therefore for the Supreme Court to reach the conclusion it did – that the law was constitutional – they had to find it was a tax, and they did."

It's moar fun if you don't point out the obvious in the article posted.

:eusa_shifty:

Ok, no it's not! :lol:

Last edited:
You know...........I've said this on another thread as well.............

If you pay your taxes on time, you don't get fines or penalties for filing late. The taxes are your tax, but the fines and penalties are added on IF AND ONLY IF, you don't file on time.

If you don't have health care insurance, yet can afford it? They FINE you, but, the fine is able to be applied under existing tax laws. In 2014, if you can afford health insurance, but don't get it? THEN AND ONLY THEN do you pay the fine for not having health care.

If you do have health care? You pay no fine, and, what's more, if the insurance provider pays for less than 20 percent of YOUR premiums on YOUR health care, YOU are entitled to a refund at the end of the year when you do your taxes.

The only ones getting fined under this provision of the tax code are those who can afford insurance, but don't get it, because they think they're going to live forever. Think 20 somethings.

The only ones getting fined under this provision of the tax code are the "free riders".

Last edited:
Mitt Romney: Individual Mandate 'Is A Tax'

What mittens and the rw really need is a third and fourth sides of their mouths to lie out of.

Wonder what this jellyfish will "think" tomorrow.

Gawd help us if he is ever called upon to "think" for himself and/or for the country he hates but wants to rule.

yeah, let's hear it for King Etch A Sketch.

Forum List

Back